Is pulling the filter minder shut ok?

White_monster

Reaction score
Yes you can use this as that kind of tool except there isn't a way to go around the hp turbo and dump infront of the big turbo with stock turbos or even tow powers incase anyone wasn't sure.

BFT

Reaction score
Dont make me make instructions :poke:

When you are looking at your DD while monitoring click (touch) one of the parameters that are being monitored. It'll either prompt you to the settings to choose a new parameter to monitor or a settings to set certain levels for alarm settings, such as when you got a certain EGT or obtain a certain boost or temp.

BFT

Reaction score
Just cause you can set the high low settings doesn't mean it reads that high bud. The factory map sensor is pinned at 36-37psi.

I meant if it was possible with his new harness? If not that how hard would it be to obtain a sensor, or what not, to monitor such levels to wire in with the harness?

White_monster

Reaction score
Need to create a new map table in the tune like the tuners do for boost and it's not easy. Getting a sensor is as easy as buying one, the electronics is the hard part.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Well this was actually easier to fix than I thought it would be. With the help of dustin we put a map sensor in place of the air filter minder and used dustin's boost harness for the dashdaq to read it. Its a pretty cold day here this morning so atmospheric pressure was 12.1 psi. With Erics current air filter it pulled down to 10.9 psi a 1.2 psi drop. An acceptable drop according to donaldson is .3 psi. I procured a new AFE air filter that is quite a bit larger than erics current filter. When I tested the new filter atmosphere was 11.9 and under a full run it pulls down to 11.6 right in line with the .3 acceptance. The filter minder no longer pulls down at all either. Just for comparison I also did a full run with no filter. Atmosphere waste 11.9 and with no filter it pulled to 11.6 as well. So i'm pretty confident this filter will work fine as long as it is kept clean.
I also for comparison since it was here went out and tried this on Mal's Max Power turbo truck. He has a Banks air box with no lid on it. Atmoshere was 11.9 and his pulled down to 11.2 a .7 drop. His truck however does not pull the filter minder in. But it looks like his truck will be getting a new intake system as well.

So why didn't it pull the minder in? Do you think the 76mm would pull the banks in?
Also, why is that dyno not inside yet? It winter man!

Last edited:

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Ok, Might have figured out why some trucks do pull the minder in when some don't with the same set up. The minder on my truck is part number 7C34-9N622-DC. I found a TSB saying that trucks built before 9-13-09 having issues with the check filter light coming on should have the filter minder replaced with part number 8C3Z-9N622-A. So I would assume trucks built after 9-13-09 came with part number 8C3Z-9N622-A.

I don't have anything to check how much vacuum it takes to suck the minder in, or I would have checked it already. I'm curious to know.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Ok, Might have figured out why some trucks do pull the minder in when some don't with the same set up. The minder on my truck is part number 7C34-9N622-DC. I found a TSB saying that trucks built before 9-13-09 having issues with the check filter light coming on should have the filter minder replaced with part number 8C3Z-9N622-A. So I would assume trucks built after 9-13-09 came with part number 8C3Z-9N622-A.

I don't have anything to check how much vacuum it takes to suck the minder in, or I would have checked it already. I'm curious to know.

That might be true, but it doesn't apply to this. Mine dropped 1.2psi with the smaller filter on it. That much drop is too much and if an updated sensor wouldn't be sucked in with that, well isn't good either. Since we are speculating that amt of drop can and is detrimental to a turbos life span.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
That might be true, but it doesn't apply to this. Mine dropped 1.2psi with the smaller filter on it. That much drop is too much and if an updated sensor wouldn't be sucked in with that, well isn't good either. Since we are speculating that amt of drop can and is detrimental to a turbos life span.

I have no interest in adding a filter minder that does not pull in as easy. That does not make since. I was already crawling around under the hood of my truck trying to figure out how to get a bigger filter in it. I know I don't have "big" turbos, but I am still lacking air flow for what I have.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
So why didn't it pull the minder in? Do you think the 76mm would pull the banks in?
Also, why is that dyno not inside yet? It winter man!

I guess let me restate that. Erics truck was literally snapping the filter minder shut instantly. Mal's would inch the filter minder about a 1/4 of an inch each time you got on the throttle hard. Im not certain on this yet but I'm guessing from all this that it takes 1 psi of pressure drop to pull the minder completely. Based off erics pulling 1.2 and mal's only pulling .7

semperfidooordie

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I may have to look into that. My truck is an EARLY 08...like built in January 2007 so that may be my issue

Latest posts

Members online