light bar pics

truckman1974

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Was just thinking about a 50" curved under the bumper just like ^^^^...
Kind of like it.

Yea, I'm really liking the under the bumper idea (although I feel like the tow hook spot is the ideal place). UNDER the bumper is different, and not everyone has it....and you can throw a lot of light down onto the road in front of you. I don't know.......don't even know if I will ever get a chance to do it but it's a thought on my future mod list (if I can ever get back home from Africa! ugh!).

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
The biggest issue I have is the beam/reflector housing angle. A big wide reflector isn't going to work well close to the ground as you loose some light. A narrow angle would be a better choice.

All the different makes/styles out there make it hard to get a true "apples-to-apples" comparison on light output.

3w is 3w. Now use a 40* reflector and a 10* reflector to see the real difference in "output".

smcox1

Reaction score
Yea, that's cool...I like that. Is that just a pic you found online or what? I'd like to see some more and close up angles of that....

I really like it best in the tow hook spot (almost looks factory on the other photos in this thread with the curved bar), but just don't want to sacrifice the tow hooks. I like the way they look but mostly in case I need them...

Thanks for this picture!

I found the picture on one of the forums and have had it saved on my phone. I can't for the life of me remember what forum it was though.

truckman1974

Reaction score
The biggest issue I have is the beam/reflector housing angle. A big wide reflector isn't going to work well close to the ground as you loose some light. A narrow angle would be a better choice.

All the different makes/styles out there make it hard to get a true "apples-to-apples" comparison on light output.

3w is 3w. Now use a 40* reflector and a 10* reflector to see the real difference in "output".

I thought about with the light being closer to the ground how would it affect the disbursement of the light but I don't know how I feel about this big light bar stuck up on top of the cab. Do you think there's a big difference between putting it under the bumper and in the bumper where the tow hooks are? Probably not that much of a difference huh?

RyanD

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in here, since I just went through a lot of this. I picked up a "cheap" Cree from an Amazon vendor for $120 (It was supposed to be a 20" but I was sent one DOA so I decided to go bigger).

I'm sure many of you guys have plasma cutters or access to one, but I did not. So the tow hooks presented the biggest issue for me. Ended up taking it to a local speed shop for $40 to cut them off. I probably could have rented a cutter, but for the cash I was happy to let someone else do it. I think they got the mounts hot and bent them slightly, because now I have a 1/4" gap lower than normal. You can't tell unless you're next to another 250. I'll probably pull it all apart over Xmas, bend them back a bit and remount.

The other issue are the mounts for the light. I went with the KD fabworks mounts posted earlier in this thread, and they were a bit steep ($60) but worth the cost, they're made so well.

One thing to consider if you're doing a 40 is to pick up some tamper proof bolts. The bar sticks out about a half inch from the bumper, so an enterprising sort with a hex key can steal it pretty easily.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Cree. The first time I flicked it on at night in my neighborhood it literally lit up the night. I suppose I wasn't expecting much from what I'd read of these vs. Rigid, but I can't imagine being much happier.

Although, I do have the nagging feeling that "A 20" WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH EASIER".

CUZICAN

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in here, since I just went through a lot of this. I picked up a "cheap" Cree from an Amazon vendor for $120 (It was supposed to be a 20" but I was sent one DOA so I decided to go bigger).

I'm sure many of you guys have plasma cutters or access to one, but I did not. So the tow hooks presented the biggest issue for me. Ended up taking it to a local speed shop for $40 to cut them off. I probably could have rented a cutter, but for the cash I was happy to let someone else do it. I think they got the mounts hot and bent them slightly, because now I have a 1/4" gap lower than normal. You can't tell unless you're next to another 250. I'll probably pull it all apart over Xmas, bend them back a bit and remount.

The other issue are the mounts for the light. I went with the KD fabworks mounts posted earlier in this thread, and they were a bit steep ($60) but worth the cost, they're made so well.

One thing to consider if you're doing a 40 is to pick up some tamper proof bolts. The bar sticks out about a half inch from the bumper, so an enterprising sort with a hex key can steal it pretty easily.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Cree. The first time I flicked it on at night in my neighborhood it literally lit up the night. I suppose I wasn't expecting much from what I'd read of these vs. Rigid, but I can't imagine being much happier.

Although, I do have the nagging feeling that "A 20" WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH EASIER".

There is quite a bit of adjustment in the front bumpers on these trucks, you may just need to loosen your bumper bolts a bit, lift the bumper, and tighten the bolts back up.

And for the record, I used a port-a-ban to cut the hooks off.

22bayranger

Reaction score
20141215_120010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is my Chinese 20" in my bumper.

BK39

Reaction score
Love the way tht looks man, i wanna have a 20 inch installed as well but wat messes me up is im from texas so i have go have a front lisence plate.

Move the plate down to the air valance, and you get the best of both worlds.

Attachments

• 20150104_171943.jpg
    20150104_171943.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 157

higherlife

Reaction score
that moment when led bars go out of style is going to be epic.
everyones going to trying to figure out how to fill in the 1/2" holes they drilled into their truck or re-attach the brackets they cut off.

Just saying, trends come and go. I remember when everyone had to have PIAA's on their truck

BK39

Reaction score
that moment when led bars go out of style is going to be epic.
everyones going to trying to figure out how to fill in the 1/2" holes they drilled into their truck or re-attach the brackets they cut off.

Just saying, trends come and go. I remember when everyone had to have PIAA's on their truck

I could give 2 chits what's "in style". And a set of tow hooks and bumper brackets are chump change. :flipa:

higherlife

Reaction score
I could give 2 chits what's "in style". And a set of tow hooks and bumper brackets are chump change. :flipa:

hmmmm....let me guess, you running american forces too with all terrains. don't be a follower, be a leader.

higherlife

Reaction score

and the brackets that hold the light bar above the windshield require drilling, fix that billionaire.

BK39

Reaction score
That's about as gay as saying, "well you bought a Platinum because everyone else is doing it". hahhahaha, you're a dumb sh!t. If you don't have anything to add to this thread, *** off.

higherlife

Reaction score
That's about as gay as saying, "well you bought a Platinum because everyone else is doing it". hahhahaha, you're a dumb sh!t. If you don't have anything to add to this thread, *** off.

get on my level and get a 2015 then talk ****. you from texas, did you really need a heated steering wheel for you lil hands?

Latest posts

Members online