My 2wd to 4wd Conversion Project

fordman2121

Reaction score
If the back of your trans looks like this you have the easy transmission to convert to 4wd. Unbolt driveline, remove a single bolt from yoke, remeove yoke and slide transfercase on. You will also need to change spring buckets.

So I looked at mine at its got the 2wd tail housing not the one pictured. Can I still just bolt a 4wd housing on and go then?

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I'm not sure on that, we need a tranny guru to confirm the tail housing can be swapped.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
So I looked at mine at its got the 2wd tail housing not the one pictured. Can I still just bolt a 4wd housing on and go then?

The 4r100/ E4OD needs a different output shaft and tail housing than the 2wd version in order to bolt up a transfer case. Not as easy as the 5r100.

sootie

Reaction score
yes-its six bolts i believe and the tail flange comes off with the output shaft. easy peasy.

stonepusher

Reaction score
When I did my conversion it when I had the 5r it had the 2wd tail housing. Still works the same just remove the tail housing, tail shaft and install new tail shaft, housing and t case

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

Need the 4wd mount as well

Last edited:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I did finally finish my project, it all works awesome and I'm very happy with the results. I did change my gearing from 3.54 to 3.73. My 04 6.0 had 3.73 and it towed awesome so that is why I changed.

jello

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the 2wd housing and output shaft they'de like to get rid of from their conversion? I'm going from 4x4 to 2wd on an '03.

Thanks

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the 2wd housing and output shaft they'de like to get rid of from their conversion? I'm going from 4x4 to 2wd on an '03.

Thanks

You don't need a different housing, just the yoke that slides onto the splined output shaft. See the pic up a few posts, it shows this. I wouldn't mess with changing the housing if it was me.

Does anybody know if there is any wiring in the dash to plug-and-play an elect shift t-case? Them things are a dime a dozen, and manual shift cases are nearly extinct.

sootie

Reaction score
You don't need a different housing, just the yoke that slides onto the splined output shaft. See the pic up a few posts, it shows this. I wouldn't mess with changing the housing if it was me.

Does anybody know if there is any wiring in the dash to plug-and-play an elect shift t-case? Them things are a dime a dozen, and manual shift cases are nearly extinct.

i have a harness here if you want to experiment-just pay shipping.

Latest posts

Members online