Oil temps

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
When I hit 252, the truck hAd 8,000miles, I don't think the cooler is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad in that it's defective just not efficient enough for your towing needs as in I'd be looking at a new cooler... IE a bigger cooler that can keep up with you.

JRLott

Reaction score
I think he just meant one capable of keeping oil temps in an acceptable range, not that yours was/is bad. That's the way I took it anyway.

Edit: yeah. What he said.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Unless you switch to an air to fluid cooler and take coolant out as the cooling medium then how is it going to lower the temps? It can't when the coolant is in the 225-230 range or do it efficiently.
My 6.4 got that warm also towing the same loads up the same hills.
For 1000$ though I think I will change the oil a little more often.
The trucks cool down pretty quick when you back off or clear the grade.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Ya I was wondering about the hot oil temps too! I've hit 250 a few times now pulling my trailer. Having it all ******d lends it to a heavy right foot lol! Kinda scares me but I've read it can handle it. One thing is certain, unlike the 6.0l I had, soon as you back off on the throttle she cools down pretty quick. Told my mechanic at the shop and his reaction was to be careful. He's 'heard' that a lot of extreme heat cycles will make the crank bearings walk enough to block oil passage. Not good!...so now I'm a little scared lol. What are all the oil cooler options out there? Was thinking of the finned oil pan? Maybe drop a couple degrees!? :evil http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_ford.gif

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have never heard of crank bearing walk due to oil temps. I am sure it could occur with heat cycles but I think the bearings would be replaced well before then.
Really the only thing I have seen make a crank bearing move is the crank hitting it. But if it does the "keepers" in the bearings are gone anyway and they should be replaced.
Now this is assuming the end play is right and the thrust is not out of whack.
Oil temps, keep in mind you have to be above 212 to boil the water out and some like it at 220 minimum to make sure everything is gone. Oil in todays standards is good up to around 270 range before break down starts. This assumes you are using a good oil and not some hey "Billy Bob uses this oil from the back forty" crap.

The only oil cooler upgrade that is bolt in that I have read about is the MPD one. Other than that I am not sure, never really worried about it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Mine hit 253 towing a grade this weekend. Truck felt like it gained 50 HP too.
Do some reading on oil and the temps they like to run at and the breakdown period. It is high like I posted.

Daddy454

Reaction score
I just posted this elsewhere,but it might get more play here,so I'll try again.Sorry for the repost.

So I'm dealing with this issue as well,only IMO-worse.Pulling my 6600# bumper pull trailer up Silver Zone Pass,to an elevation of 5940 ft.,not sure the grade- my EOT topped out at 262*.Ive done a bit of reading here on the forum,and this seems HOT,real hot.Ive taken this in to a fairly knowledgeable local indy,and they ran the laptop for codes-none,checked the cooling specs on the coolant-was good per Ford specs.Test ran it with the trailer attached,and said the coolant to oil temp was about 25* difference?I left the shop,and ran it up another short summit nearby,and got it to 255* by the top.Runs around 215-218* just around town.
I've read some threads about oil cooler issues on these pigs,as well as the freeze plug in the upper pan issue.Indy called a dealer in SLC,and they said as long as its not at 250 sustained around town,it should be fine.Also said "lift/big tires",could be the culprit.I'm not so sure.
I checked the input and output temps with my temp gun when I got home,and the difference was only 7*...215 in,208 out.Any ideas?Totally stock as far as I can tell.

JRLott

Reaction score
215 around town?! Dang. Mine will run 197-203 depending on how I drive. It'll get to 203 or 210 running the piss outta it on the highway. Don't remember what it was towing.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Im not going to get into alot of detail as I have in the past. It generally gets trumped with stupidity and arguing.

215 around town is completely FINE!!. Lift tires wheels gear ratio... all play a factor.

What's more dangerous is oil too cool. You want 200 degree oil. I HATE seeing guys with aftermarket oil coolers to get it down to 160-180...

That's just plain old dumb (like the cracker barrel triangle of golf tee's)

255 degree oil is also fine. However if it is frequent and long durations you REALLY need to have an oil analysis done to see where the additives are and the condition of the oil. .... or just change it a little more frequently if your a worry wart...

Email the oil manufacturer and see what they will tell you. You'll be shocked at the answer. (Maybe....)

JRLott

Reaction score
Only reason I said that was mine is never over 205 in town...that I've seen. That just sounds high to me for what is normal for my pickup. For all I know, mine runs 12-15 degrees too cold...

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Only reason I said that was mine is never over 205 in town...that I've seen. That just sounds high to me for what is normal for my pickup. For all I know, mine runs 12-15 degrees too cold...
Put 25K lbs behind it,and let me know how your oil temps hold up.....Been there done that,240* on a regular basis using REDLINE DIESEL OIL.Maybe I will try SNAKE OIL next!

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Put 25K lbs behind it,and let me know how your oil temps hold up.....Been there done that,240* on a regular basis using REDLINE DIESEL OIL.Maybe I will try SNAKE OIL next!

There's my little buddy who has a low self image, issues with reading comprehension, and remedial arithmetic. I said in the first post that I don't remember what it ran when I pulled an RV to west TX. Don't think I even looked. I also didn't even pretend to post what I thought they might be. That said, I expect nothing less than crappy info from an individual with a history of crappy decisions.

It's also quite humorous to see you post your "experience" with a supremely well marketed oil, then turn around and call LE snake oil. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
There's my little buddy who has a low self image, issues with reading comprehension, and remedial arithmetic. I said in the first post that I don't remember what it ran when I pulled an RV to west TX. Don't think I even looked. I also didn't even pretend to post what I thought they might be. That said, I expect nothing less than crappy info from an individual with a history of crappy decisions.

It's also quite humorous to see you post your "experience" with a supriemly well marketed oil, then turn around and call LE snake oil. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
BIG HAT NO CATTLE.Why are your panties so easily ruffled? Get a life

JRLott

Reaction score
BIG HAT NO CATTLE.Why are your panties so easily ruffled? Get a life

You, sir, are not contributing to this thread...as is your history. So why don't you simply leave?

Your insults don't even make sense in this situation, and only serve to make you look like a bigger moron because you have no clue how to use either of them.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
You, sir, are not contributing to this thread...as is your history. So why don't you simply leave?

Your insults don't even make sense in this situation, and only serve to make you look like a bigger moron because you have no clue how to use either of them.
Do you suffer from the Napoleon Syndrone?Why do you feel the need to attack me?It's easy to be a BULLY behind the keyboard,I never attacked you in my earlier post.I'll pray for you.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Not being a bully at all. Only pointing out your consistencies, and the fact that you essentially said "my snake oil is better than your snake oil", in a very poor attempt at thinly veiling your transparent attack on me and a site sponsor. Very cosmopolitan and mature of you.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Not being a bully at all. Only pointing out your consistencies, and the fact that you essentially said "my snake oil is better than your snake oil", in a very poor attempt at thinly veiling your transparent attack on me and a site sponsor. Very cosmopolitan and mature of you.
Don't read between the lines.I happy you use the oil you do,if it gives you a Hard-On,so be it!

Latest posts

Members online