Poll.. Tunning for the 7.3L 200% Nozzles..

Whos tunes do you run. This is for 200% nozzles only

• Matt@Gearhead

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Power Houngry Performance

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Diesel Inovations

• DP-Tuner

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Tony Wildman

• Beans

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Swamps

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I tune my own 7.3L

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Cale Thompson's tunes

• Elite Diesel

• Total voters

V-Ref

Reaction score
Ok

As most of you know I just put in 300/200 Injectors. SO I thought I would start a Thread and Poll to see who's tunning you use. OR if you do your own tunning..

This Is just for 200% nozzles only.. SO please do not respond if you have any other nozzle..

It does not matter the size OR kind (B-codes, Hybrids or AA) of injectors they just need to have the 200% nozzles..

Some questions to answer.

-What injector Size and make are you running with 200% nozzles. Unlimited 400CC
-Who's tunes are you running?? Tyrant, Swamps, Gearhead, Beans
- Are you tunes live tuned? No
-Do they haze at a idle?? At temps below 30F
-How smooth is the idle?? At times smoother than factory, other times romps and shakes like a high duration cammed big block gasser
-What or the cons you have seen with the 200% nozzle?? Slight idle haze/resolution, intermittent though..
-What are the pros you have seen???? Lots of power :shocked:
-What do you have for a HPOP?? Stealth Billet Stage 2
-What do you get for fuel MPG?? 18 mpg consistently, occasionally sqweak a 19-20 mpg tank.
-Do you tow with them?? If so how do you like them....Yes, have towed. Didn't like my results, but I think towing has more to do with tranisent turbo response vs the injector. My 76mm requires the RPM to be 2100+ otherwise EGTs get hot.

This is just some of the Questions I have.

The main one is Who's tunes do you have how do you like them..

Thanks Guys!!!

Please keep this civil. For some reason a lot of threads that have tuner's mentioned in them get out of hand.

On Edit: Sorry I could not put up more choices on the poll.. They only let you give ten choices. If the tunes you are using are not on the poll,, Please share it to us in a post.. Thanks!!!

200% nozzles are a lot of fuel, that can make a lot of power...I'd say more than any streetable single turbo can be expected to clean up.

woodduck97

Reaction score
-What injector Size and make are you running with 200% nozzles.
-Who's tunes are you running??
- Are you tunes live tuned?
-Do they haze at a idle??
-How smooth is the idle??
-What or the cons you have seen with the 200% nozzle??
-What are the pros you have seen????
-What do you have for a HPOP??
-What do you get for fuel MPG??
-Do you tow with them?? If so how do you like them..

-300/200 from Cass
-Matt's have ran TW but took them off
-No
-anything below 50 it will start to haze after idleing more then a few minutes.
-Almost as smooth as stock
-The haze at idle. I usually bump it up on high idle if it is going to be sitting there and it goes away.
-Allot of power
-SRP1
-4.10 gears with around town driving and mashing it I got 12.7
-Yes. Love them. Can tow on any tune with them by controling my right foot. Tow tune can't barely get it above 1100 under WOT with a GVW of 18k.

Also as you can see I am still on a stock turbo as well. Only time the truck smokes is under hard throttle on the race tune which is because I dont have no where near enough air.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Wow, that was one of the nicest shut downs I have seen in a while...well done.
:toast:

Thanks!!

^ dude has come a long way since he first started posting here..

Thanks!!

200% nozzles are a lot of fuel, that can make a lot of power...I'd say more than any streetable single turbo can be expected to clean up.

Thanks for the Information!! It was good as always!!! Just to bad you are not staying with it!!!

-What injector Size and make are you running with 200% nozzles.
-Who's tunes are you running??
- Are you tunes live tuned?
-Do they haze at a idle??
-How smooth is the idle??
-What or the cons you have seen with the 200% nozzle??
-What are the pros you have seen????
-What do you have for a HPOP??
-What do you get for fuel MPG??
-Do you tow with them?? If so how do you like them..

-300/200 from Cass
-Matt's have ran TW but took them off
-No
-anything below 50 it will start to haze after idleing more then a few minutes.
-Almost as smooth as stock
-The haze at idle. I usually bump it up on high idle if it is going to be sitting there and it goes away.
-Allot of power
-SRP1
-4.10 gears with around town driving and mashing it I got 12.7
-Yes. Love them. Can tow on any tune with them by controling my right foot. Tow tune can't barely get it above 1100 under WOT with a GVW of 18k.

Also as you can see I am still on a stock turbo as well. Only time the truck smokes is under hard throttle on the race tune which is because I dont have no where near enough air.

Great information!!! Thanks!! And this all with a stock turbo!!! very inpressive!!! It is amazing what good tunes can do.

Sorry guys for not getting on sooner then this BUT I just got back fromn elk hunting yesterday..

Keep it comeing!!!!! I know there more out there then what has been posted!!..

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I've run 200% tips using several different tuners. Some were better than others, some were more receptive to my needs than others, some made more power than others. I sure can't rank them first to last - but I ultimately was the most happy with the tuners that listened to what I wanted out of my rig and the happiest with the tuners that most aligned with my tuning theories and philosophies.

What that all means - call and talk to the tuners on your list about your goals and aspirations - ask them for specific references to guys with similar combos that you intend to have if need be - then pick one.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I've run 200% tips using several different tuners. Some were better than others, some were more receptive to my needs than others, some made more power than others. I sure can't rank them first to last - but I ultimately was the most happy with the tuners that listened to what I wanted out of my rig and the happiest with the tuners that most aligned with my tuning theories and philosophies.

What that all means - call and talk to the tuners on your list about your goals and aspirations - ask them for specific references to guys with similar combos that you intend to have if need be - then pick one.

LOL you would Jason!!!!!! When I saw it was you I thought....I wonder what he came up with now... The first part was a lot of Fancy nothings..
The second part is good information.. ;)

Thanks for the information, that was information, that was good information, and information I like, is information, like this information, that helps me know the information that I get is good information!!! LOL

Now all joking aside. I have came narrowed it down to two guys.. So I will be using BOTH of there products and tunes..

The reason for this thread Jason was to see what tuner had the most tunes out for a Given nozzle size.. Well I got part of the answer BUT I know there are a lot more guys out there running 200% nozzles then have posted..

In fact I will be calling the two Gentleman tomorrow to see what they have to say..

Thanks for the input!!!

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
-What injector Size and make are you running with 200% nozzles. 275cc Hybrids from Unlimited, no fuel side mods
-Who's tunes are you running?? MattR at Gearhead
-Do they haze at a idle?? Yes, more so when the weather is cooler. Usually a slight blue haze
-How smooth is the idle?? Varies, usually has a slight lope to it when the engine warms up
-What or the cons you have seen with the 200% nozzle?? They are a little more "dirty" if that's the term you want to use & the lope & haze without live tuning will turn some people off.
-What are the pros you have seen???? I believe they do run cooler then a smaller nozzle. The power is there, it's just up to your tuner to tell them how much fuel to deliver.
-What do you have for a HPOP?? Stock 15° with 180k, new IPR last year. Have yet to throw a CEL for oil even on a hard run
-What do you get for fuel MPG?? Cruising on the highway at 65mph I get right around 16mpg, driving around town & country roads with a heavier foot I usually get 13mpg-15mpg. That's out of an OBS CCLB on 35s with 4.10s & an auto
-Do you tow with them?? If so how do you like them?? Haven't had a chance to tow with them yet but i feel they will do fine
-What turbo do you have?? Stock for now with no I/C, my EGTs usually never break 1150° on a good run up to 70mph. On a good run up to 100 they will jump to around 1300° but that's about it.

Over all I like them, but I don't feel that 200s are for everyone. When I get around to doing injectors for the SD I'll prob go with a 238/80 & call it a day. That being said I don't really have too many regrets with mine. Other then I would like to finish getting the rest of the truck setup then have Matt live tune it to my preferences.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
-What injector Size and make are you running with 200% nozzles. 275cc Hybrids from Unlimited, no fuel side mods
-Who's tunes are you running?? MattR at Gearhead
-Do they haze at a idle?? Yes, more so when the weather is cooler. Usually a slight blue haze
-How smooth is the idle?? Varies, usually has a slight lope to it when the engine warms up
-What or the cons you have seen with the 200% nozzle?? They are a little more "dirty" if that's the term you want to use & the lope & haze without live tuning will turn some people off.
-What are the pros you have seen???? I believe they do run cooler then a smaller nozzle. The power is there, it's just up to your tuner to tell them how much fuel to deliver.
-What do you have for a HPOP?? Stock 15° with 180k, new IPR last year. Have yet to throw a CEL for oil even on a hard run
-What do you get for fuel MPG?? Cruising on the highway at 65mph I get right around 16mpg, driving around town & country roads with a heavier foot I usually get 13mpg-15mpg. That's out of an OBS CCLB on 35s with 4.10s & an auto
-Do you tow with them?? If so how do you like them?? Haven't had a chance to tow with them yet but i feel they will do fine
-What turbo do you have?? Stock for now with no I/C, my EGTs usually never break 1150° on a good run up to 70mph. On a good run up to 100 they will jump to around 1300° but that's about it.

Over all I like them, but I don't feel that 200s are for everyone. When I get around to doing injectors for the SD I'll prob go with a 238/80 & call it a day. That being said I don't really have too many regrets with mine. Other then I would like to finish getting the rest of the truck setup then have Matt live tune it to my preferences.

Thanks for the reply Sir!!! From what most people say Live tuning is the way to go with 200% nozzles.. Matt must have some really laid back tune for the stock turbo to work!!! Throw a D66 turbo in there and feed it with a GT4202 THEN get live tuned and call it good!!!

On a side not.. I like the Quote in your Sig!!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
LOL you would Jason!!!!!! When I saw it was you I thought....I wonder what he came up with now... The first part was a lot of Fancy nothings..
The second part is good information.. ;)

Thanks for the information, that was information, that was good information, and information I like, is information, like this information, that helps me know the information that I get is good information!!! LOL

Now all joking aside. I have came narrowed it down to two guys.. So I will be using BOTH of there products and tunes..

The reason for this thread Jason was to see what tuner had the most tunes out for a Given nozzle size.. Well I got part of the answer BUT I know there are a lot more guys out there running 200% nozzles then have posted..

In fact I will be calling the two Gentleman tomorrow to see what they have to say..

Thanks for the input!!!

But that is the truth of it. The tuner I might like the most for my setup and driving habits - you might hate for the exact same reasons I like them - or you might hate them for other reasons - or you could love them for yet another set of reasons. Everyone has an idea of what their truck should do and be capable of and those ideas don't always align with the next guy. If everyone wanted the same thing - there wouldn't be any need or market for all of these options.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Matt must have some really laid back tune for the stock turbo to work!!!
Mine is tuned for my big charger and runs a 13.1 and I hammer on it at least once everytime I take it out on the road :D

Yes that is the joys of good tuning!!!! They can do just about anything to make it work with what you have..

But that is the truth of it. The tuner I might like the most for my setup and driving habits - you might hate for the exact same reasons I like them - or you might hate them for other reasons - or you could love them for yet another set of reasons. Everyone has an idea of what their truck should do and be capable of and those ideas don't always align with the next guy. If everyone wanted the same thing - there wouldn't be any need or market for all of these options.

You are 100% right!! THAT is the main reason I was (am) leaning toward live tuning. But it seems like they never get up this far and I cant cough up the price to have them fly out to do just one pickup...

What my plans are as they sit.. I would like to get a couple base tunes from my tuner of choice, to get started. Then by PHP tuning software and try and do my own tuning. I would be driving the pickup (when i get it going) about 400 to 500 miles a week. So that would give me some time right there to tweak and change things. But I still need to call Bill@PHP. But right now they are on vacation... But o well i am in no big rush..

But I still think live tuning is the way to go..

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Terminator twin pumps
375/200s right now....250/200's the past 6 months.
72mm s300 turbo

Never had an issue of a haze at idle with any of the mentioned tuners, never an issue with haze at a constant speed either honestly. Biggest problem i found was passing cars, that seemed to be the hardest time to keep smoke under control. It took a couple times to get that right, and the idle quality also took a few tries no matter who was tuning the truck

Tony Wildman has tuned mine mostly. Has worked with me umpteen hours to get it just how i want it, he is willing to try over and over until he has perfected it. Love the shifting, smoke, idle..... Only complaints i can remember are the first try sort of tunes, nothing with 200% nozzles ever seems to run flawless on the first try.... you gotta work with them to perfect things.

Jonathan from Beans- Definitely was the closest to running perfect on the first try. A little too smokey in my larger tunes, but that is to be expected as they are "extreme tunes". Had an issue after a few hard runs getting the idle to be smooth though. Fairly hard to get ahold of, so finally gave up.

Cale Thompson- Another great guy, was willing to work with me when he found time! Shifting was my favorite right off the bat, he has worked with the BTS transmission a LOT and in my opinion has perfected it and the OBS PCM. Have put his tunes on multiple trucks around town here.

I would recommend TW or Cale Thompson if your looking for a cheap route to get your truck running awesome. Jonathan is a great guy, and definitely tunes like a champ, but you will pay for it.

Ive ran other tuners as well, but not enough to give input so ill leave them alone!

One last thing I can say is that even though ive never tried Bill @ PHP, i have spoke with him quite a bit about tuning and some issues i was having, once I had minotaur he took a few minutes to show me how i could fix my own problems. If i was keeping the 7.3 i would definitely let him stab at the tuning, he knows his ****!

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Terminator twin pumps
375/200s right now....250/200's the past 6 months.
72mm s300 turbo

Never had an issue of a haze at idle with any of the mentioned tuners, never an issue with haze at a constant speed either honestly. Biggest problem i found was passing cars, that seemed to be the hardest time to keep smoke under control. It took a couple times to get that right, and the idle quality also took a few tries no matter who was tuning the truck

Tony Wildman has tuned mine mostly. Has worked with me umpteen hours to get it just how i want it, he is willing to try over and over until he has perfected it. Love the shifting, smoke, idle..... Only complaints i can remember are the first try sort of tunes, nothing with 200% nozzles ever seems to run flawless on the first try.... you gotta work with them to perfect things.

Jonathan from Beans- Definitely was the closest to running perfect on the first try. A little too smokey in my larger tunes, but that is to be expected as they are "extreme tunes". Had an issue after a few hard runs getting the idle to be smooth though. Fairly hard to get ahold of, so finally gave up.

Cale Thompson- Another great guy, was willing to work with me when he found time! Shifting was my favorite right off the bat, he has worked with the BTS transmission a LOT and in my opinion has perfected it and the OBS PCM. Have put his tunes on multiple trucks around town here.

I would recommend TW or Cale Thompson if your looking for a cheap route to get your truck running awesome. Jonathan is a great guy, and definitely tunes like a champ, but you will pay for it.

Ive ran other tuners as well, but not enough to give input so ill leave them alone!

One last thing I can say is that even though ive never tried Bill @ PHP, i have spoke with him quite a bit about tuning and some issues i was having, once I had minotaur he took a few minutes to show me how i could fix my own problems. If i was keeping the 7.3 i would definitely let him stab at the tuning, he knows his ****!

Thanks for this post!!! NOt only will these posts help me But they will help others who come along as well... Thanks!!

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sir!!! From what most people say Live tuning is the way to go with 200% nozzles.. Matt must have some really laid back tune for the stock turbo to work!!! Throw a D66 turbo in there and feed it with a GT4202 THEN get live tuned and call it good!!!

On a side not.. I like the Quote in your Sig!!

Matt does a good job keeping a lot of fuel out of the bottom end. From all the modded trucks I've been around & other people riding in it we feel I'm "around" 400hp give or take a few ponys. So it's not gutless, the tranny is prob my biggest handicap right now.

Far as turbos I'm not a fan of the D66 or the GT42. I want to do a 38r or a GT40/Gt47 compound setup down the road. No reason to sell myself short on turbos when I'm only at 750ft elevation & don't tow heavy.

Exactly

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Matt does a good job keeping a lot of fuel out of the bottom end. From all the modded trucks I've been around & other people riding in it we feel I'm "around" 400hp give or take a few ponys. So it's not gutless, the tranny is prob my biggest handicap right now.

Far as turbos I'm not a fan of the D66 or the GT42. I want to do a 38r or a GT40/Gt47 compound setup down the road. No reason to sell myself short on turbos when I'm only at 750ft elevation & don't tow heavy.

Exactly

That would be a nice set up!! Why do you not care for the GT42 style turbo??

Thanks again for the information..

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Mainly for the cost of a 42 I can get into a nice S400 that will perform as good or better. The other reason is that "everyone" runs a 42 because it's just the cool thing to do.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Mainly for the cost of a 42 I can get into a nice S400 that will perform as good or better. The other reason is that "everyone" runs a 42 because it's just the cool thing to do.

Got you!!! There are more options for the S400 to.. I guess if the GT42 is the "cool" thing to do.. then my poor pickup is not cool!!! O well it is better for it..

Arisley

Reaction score
Tony

A little smokey, OK, a lot smokey. But if you pay attention (drive, and stay on top of the turbo) you can keep the smoke to a puff now and then. If, however, you decide to mat it at any given time, you will get some smoke, sometimes a whole lotta smoke. However, you will also be grabbing you a whole lotta gone at the same time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online