Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

Matt_P

Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear that.

Yeah It was not the best news of the day

I was told recently a certain member by the name if Irontx (Jesse) just blew his 3rd 6.0L engine and is now lookin into a Fummins project himself.

Thats what Id be doin

Kinda figured the head would be cracked after talking with Steve, good luck man

Thanks, this one can be fixed luckily

You just can't catch a break man.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yeah definitely had a lot of hiccups but itll be all good in the end.

Reliabilty is the key with this build, I went to the machine shop and looked at the head today, the one crack that goes past the valve seat is not bad at all, it barely goes past the seat, so the plan now is hardened valve seats in the head. After my machinist cuts the old seats out and sees how much he has to machine then we will decide if it should be tigged as well.

As of now though its looking good, the engine and tranny should be good to go after taking care of these weak points. Hopefully this weekend Ill be putting the bottom end of the engine back together!

And the name of this thread needs to be changed to Project: Reliability LOL

Matt_P

Reaction score
According to my tracking number my engine rebuild kit will be here today! So I gotta get a new piston and my cam to the machine shop to check clearances so hopefully Ill have the block back tomorrow and with any luck the bottom end may be back together this weekend!

Today Im just gonna do some painting

Matt_P

Reaction score
Put some pics of that valve cover up bud.

Here ya go, I got a picture of it with the new oil filler cap and all my other goodies to rebuild my engine.

I dropped my cam at the machine shop today to double check the new cam bearing fitment and I should be picking the block up around 4 today so I can put the bottom end back together this weekend as planned!
DSC01076.jpg

MINK

Reaction score
Here ya go, I got a picture of it with the new oil filler cap and all my other goodies to rebuild my engine.

I dropped my cam at the machine shop today to double check the new cam bearing fitment and I should be picking the block up around 4 today so I can put the bottom end back together this weekend as planned!
DSC01076.jpg

yay

Matt_P

Reaction score

omg so excited

Nice. What color is that going to be. Maybe this will be together next time i stop out, if you ever have another party that is, hahaha

Its gonna be a dark grey with the cummins and all that on top of the valve cover polished, I should have some pics of the color up tonight when I paint the block. I sure hope its together within the next couple weeks so it should be done the next time your out here!

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well I got the block back today as scheduled and brought that and the crank back to the shop.

Even after being hot tanked twice this block didnt want to clean up too well so after some work with a wire wheel it was ready for paint, now the paint color I got was supposed to be dark grey but after spraying it that turned out to be an epic fail.

So tomorrow Im just gonna spray it black and call it done and then the real fun starts tomorrow afternoon when assembly of the bottom end starts. Here are some pics of before and after the hideous paint color":

IMG_20120127_180315.jpg
DSC01079.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Looks like a sweet project... I'll be watching this one!

Sent from my iPhone via PFM

Matt_P

Reaction score
Awesome wish I had more connections to do something like this!

Thanks! and yeah Im lucky to have the connections I do

Looks like a sweet project... I'll be watching this one!

Sent from my iPhone via PFM

Thanks!

the color really dont look to bad, kinda matches the truck ;)

The pictures dont make it look too bad, but in person it was pretty awful LOL

The block is gloss black now

this is pretty cool matt, uve had an insane line up of diesels dude lol

Thank you! Each truck has been a lot of fun, but I think this will end up being my favorite when its all said and done!

Also here are the updates from today. After a case and a half of brake clean I got the block and all my parts cleaned up and ready to go back together with Jasons help. We got the new pistons on the rods and then new rings on the pistons.

Unfortunately my luck kicked in again and as we were putting the main bearings in we had an issue arise. The main thrust bearing didn't fit well at all. Didnt sit flush at all, the fitment was just terrible. So we had to stop putting the bottom end back together til I can get a new set of main bearings directly from Cummins becuase obviously clevite bearings for a cummins are junk. Im gonna get cummins rod bearings as well just to be safe.

So for now Im at a stand still again until next week, but hey at least everythings clean, and I got my valve cover painted too but its not done yet:D

Anyways here are some pictures:

DSC01080.jpg

DSC01081.jpg

DSC01082.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

DSC01085.jpg

DSC01086.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01089.jpg

Latest posts

Members online