Responsive Turbo/compounds Thoughts

TARM

Reaction score
Where did he post that I do not follow? Maybe a mis-post meant for a different thread?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Same theory could be done using desired boost and wastegate duty cycle map...

907DAVE

Reaction score
Either or, but EBPS would be ideal as it has no bearing on fueling. EBP can be turned off in the program so shift pressures are based on boost only. Someone just needs to verify operating voltage and this problem doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The idea would be to use the WG actuator circuit (the wires) to operate your VGT, or your EBPV circuit in the same manner.

Ok, that's what I originally thought we were talking about. Then I got confused after watching the videos of the mechanically actuated turbos, which it seems to me could be easily actuated the same way the WG is. So to be clear, the Duramax VGT's are electrically activated?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I originally thought we were talking about. Then I got confused after watching the videos of the mechanically actuated turbos, which it seems to me could be easily actuated the same way the WG is. So to be clear, the Duramax VGT's are electrically activated?

Yes the Duramax VGT turbos are electronically activated.

Big Bore

Reaction score
http://www.xtremediesel.com/garrettpowermaxstage2avntgtvaturbochargerupgrade.aspx

GarrettDuramaxAVNT02_e.gif

This is a complete drop-in performance upgrade turbocharger kit that provides extra flow, efficiency and durability, delivering the boost you need.

Garrett® model GT4094VA turbocharger
Featuring the Garrett® patented Advanced Variable Nozzle Turbine (AVNTTM) design for increased compressor flow and turbine flow
Utilizes nine movable vanes which significantly increase turbine efficiency and improve engine performance from idle launch through peak torque
Patented integral electro-hydraulic actuation and proportional solenoid for infinitely variable control
Provides up to an estimated 575 hp with no sacrifice to drivability
Larger compressor trim (52), plus larger GT40 turbine wheel and vanes vs. Stage I
Outline interchangeable, for a perfect fit each and every time

TurboM700

Reaction score
Is using oil pressure(hydraulic) to open(or) close the valves so the amp draw should be minimal.
It is, and there is lots of control!

EBPControls.jpg

I think this is the solution!!!

The only thing those 2 charts are showing are what the sensors are doing I still dont see proof that the EBPV is PWM open or closed. Show me a chart that shows it open and closing.

I'm not doubting you I just cant see a valve that's meant to be open or closed being PWM.

If you can PWM then why hasn't someone made a tow tune that when you hit the brakes and your TC is locked and your above x MPH you shut the EBPV. Essential having a cheap mans exhaust brake.

Big Bore

Reaction score
If you can PWM then why hasn't someone made a tow tune that when you hit the brakes and your TC is locked and your above x MPH you shut the EBPV. Essential having a cheap mans exhaust brake.

There have been several kits starting with the OBS that used the factory EBPV valve as an exhaust brake and ppl were making them back on TDS many years ago.

Here is the latest version from Dfuser.

http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/powerstroke/73/Exhaust/Exhaust Brake/Exhaust Brake.php

907DAVE

Reaction score
Duty cycle means there is modulation. The valve simply does not open or close, there is many different positions that it could be in depending on a number of factors, as seen in both the maps posted.

There is a company that offers a tow tune that uses the EBV as an exhaust brake, but many dont do this for a number of reasons.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Ok I will be the first to admit I dont know much about 7.3l tuning but you have my interest now. I think I'm going to buy the PHP Minotaur and start playing around with it.

And here I just would have went and built a standalone VGT controller.

Very Interesting thread

907DAVE

Reaction score
I am pretty interested in this also, seems like it could be done relatively easy. Get your mount setup, possibly change the intake design to relocate the inlets farther forward, and the rest should not be too hard.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I am pretty interested in this also, seems like it could be done relatively easy. Get your mount setup, possibly change the intake design to relocate the inlets farther forward, and the rest should not be too hard.

Im going to call Curtis and see if he'll start looking at the tuning and see if he can write a program then hook up the EBPV connector to a meter and see what happens. I was initially intimidated by controlling it, but not anymore with at least two options for providing signal to a solenoid in the tuning. If I can still run the twin HPOP's with the mount, I'm going to start looking for a VGT turbo and see if Jake can make a mount.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Interesting...

If the EBPV, system, does not have the voltage to actuate the turbo... Would a PCS?

Thinking there are 4 PWM outputs in a PCS, right?

Use two of the outputs?

Latest posts

Members online