Restoring Stolen Truck

sootie

Reaction score
The argument is an easy one when its not your truck stolen. I bought a brand new truck because I came from a 6.0, and didnt want the issues I had with my 06. I also didnt want the baggage of another owner/driver. This is my first brand new truck, and its a little disheartening that this has happened. The end result is going to be me keeping the truck; I already know. Me putting out what might be close to 10k in cash to flip this truck and get into an identical 6.7, is not really in the cards right now. If the oil business was a little more stable, and I knew I could make it back in few months, not so much of an issue. This wasnt some truck that Ive been able to take hunting or camping yet. I havent had the pleasure of getting it dirty or putting scratches in it yet. Somebody else did it. They shot up with needles, they smoked illegal drugs and disrespected my payout of hard work. I understand realistically, a "detail" will hide all the wrong done. Maybe a little buff here, paint here, new leather cover here; ya I get it.

Its like this. Your buddy has a 2 month old '250. He takes it out with a bunch of buddies. Drives to Vegas from Ca. Get drunk. Drives the piss out of it all the way home. Has the bright idea to shoot up and jump the truck, in between dancing on the leather seats and the hood. After all this, he high centers it off the side of a small cliff. He then tries to sell it to for full sticker price of a brand new truck off the lot, because after all, thats the payment you will be making. Would you buy it? Oh, it only has 700 miles on it.

well said. i would be getting a new truck from the ins co with a small hit on your part for the pro rated miles you put on your current truck.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Im currently trying to work a deal with the insurance company/dealership/credit union. Since Im not upside down.. well WASNT, it makes it a little easier. Trying to get insurance company to pay "X" amount towards a new truck, get credit union to work with me on APR, and get dealership to give me "X" amount on trade. Yea, not looking good. hahahaha

All this will just make it easier to drive into the Oklahoma bush while hog hunting, and thats what I bought the truck for anyways.

bpan

Reaction score
The argument is an easy one when its not your truck stolen. I bought a brand new truck because I came from a 6.0, and didnt want the issues I had with my 06. I also didnt want the baggage of another owner/driver. This is my first brand new truck, and its a little disheartening that this has happened. The end result is going to be me keeping the truck; I already know. Me putting out what might be close to 10k in cash to flip this truck and get into an identical 6.7, is not really in the cards right now. If the oil business was a little more stable, and I knew I could make it back in few months, not so much of an issue. This wasnt some truck that Ive been able to take hunting or camping yet. I havent had the pleasure of getting it dirty or putting scratches in it yet. Somebody else did it. They shot up with needles, they smoked illegal drugs and disrespected my payout of hard work. I understand realistically, a "detail" will hide all the wrong done. Maybe a little buff here, paint here, new leather cover here; ya I get it.

Its like this. Your buddy has a 2 month old '250. He takes it out with a bunch of buddies. Drives to Vegas from Ca. Get drunk. Drives the piss out of it all the way home. Has the bright idea to shoot up and jump the truck, in between dancing on the leather seats and the hood. After all this, he high centers it off the side of a small cliff. He then tries to sell it to for full sticker price of a brand new truck off the lot, because after all, thats the payment you will be making. Would you buy it? Oh, it only has 700 miles on it.

Sorry about coming of so harsh. That's not what I meant to do. I would be choked if it was me but really I think your truck will be fine. They are tough units.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
No worries man. I didnt take offense, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt sounding like a baby for no reason. I dont doubt "built ford tough". Ive put a few ford through hell now. I am mostly concerned about the cosmetics of it all. I dont want stitching to come undone in two years because some jackweed wanted to jump up and down on the seat, ya know?

Sunrise got back to me. Awesome group of guys. Looks like they can save me a few bones, and hopefully help my ole girl get back to the way she should be.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I appreciate all the kind words fellas. Im sure I will be updating this thread as I go through the process. Not to inform you of whats going on, but to vent frustration. LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
No worries man. I didnt take offense, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt sounding like a baby for no reason. I dont doubt "built ford tough". Ive put a few ford through hell now. I am mostly concerned about the cosmetics of it all. I dont want stitching to come undone in two years because some jackweed wanted to jump up and down on the seat, ya know?

Sunrise got back to me. Awesome group of guys. Looks like they can save me a few bones, and hopefully help my ole girl get back to the way she should be.

If its really going to bother you, get an atty. Insurance companies lose that arrogant upper handed attitude when you pay someone who is versed on law to interpret the situation.

If you feel anything is less than starting over, then it is. Im sorry, built tough or not, they beat the piss outta that truck. Insurance company going to give you a lifetime warranty on the vehicle?

Have a dealer appraise the truck as is and get some prices on trucks that arent vandalized. Show the difference and push forvthem to buy you a new one while they ***k around with refurbing that vandalized pos.

GregW

Reaction score
If its really going to bother you, get an atty. Insurance companies lose that arrogant upper handed attitude when you pay someone who is versed on law to interpret the situation.

If you feel anything is less than starting over, then it is. Im sorry, built tough or not, they beat the piss outta that truck. Insurance company going to give you a lifetime warranty on the vehicle?

Have a dealer appraise the truck as is and get some prices on trucks that arent vandalized. Show the difference and push forvthem to buy you a new one while they ***k around with refurbing that vandalized pos.

^^ whs

I also didn't see it mentioned, but you said they put 700 miles on the truck, and it obviously won't go that far on a single tank of fuel. Whose to say someone didn't put gas in the tank instead of diesel? Or get poor quality/watered down diesel that ends up destroying a $10k fuel system a week after getting the truck back on the road?

TyCorr

Reaction score
^^ whs

I also didn't see it mentioned, but you said they put 700 miles on the truck, and it obviously won't go that far on a single tank of fuel. Whose to say someone didn't put gas in the tank instead of diesel? Or get poor quality/watered down diesel that ends up destroying a $10k fuel system a week after getting the truck back on the road?

Exactly. ***k that. Thats why you pay insurance. Not to be told what you're getting. Id get the attorney involved. Get the new truck and maybe end up with some cash on top if they wanna piss around. They can fix the truck with a tainted title and sell it to recoup their money. I want a new unvandalised unit.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ive given that very thought process a chance, and am still considering it. Im kind of holding off on executing to see what they do as far as my demands go. I opening up a few different options just to make sure I get an end result that I can be happy with. I was worried about there being so many miles on it in regards to fuel. The truck was in their shop yesterday getting the fuel system flushed and checked on. That was the main reason I wanted it to go to the dealership. Nobody I really trust around here to make sure everything is taken care of mechanically, so the dealership was my only choice.

So far they are meeting my demands, but they are moving slow. Im sort of playing a little bit of game right now with them. I emailed the estimator gal yesterday, with some pretty specific questions, and I have not heard anything back. If I dont get a response today, Im going to show up tomorrow and offer a firm persuasion. Only time will tell what my next step will be.

fine69

Reaction score
If this were to happen to me I'd let the insurance company fix the truck, then it would be down the road the second I got it back, regardless if it cost me money or not. Just knowing that some scum bag had my trucck would be enough to convince me.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
The dealership called this afternoon, and I finally got an update.
Fuel was tested, it was diesel in the tank. Red dye, but diesel. Wont hurt anything. They dropped the tank, flushed the tank, then flushed the system. Changed the filters, and then retested. Everything came back ok and clear. They drove the truck and function tested everything they could "think of", and everything ran fine. I requested to have a tech set aside 30 minutes with me tomorrow afternoon so I could do a behind the wheel with the tech, and make sure everything is to my standards. Im going to drive it cold all the way to operating temps. Its the best I can imagine to do at this point in time.

If everything checks out, on to the cosmetics of everything. Should be a fun journey.

Mechcont

Reaction score

I'm sorry also I wasn't implying anything I was just giving giving you a different view on the situation(devils advocate). I honestly don't know what I would do in your situation as I have severe OCD and it would drive me crazy if my truck was stolen.

Good luck man I hope everything works out for you in the end and the **** heads who did this get what they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'd definitely have a lawyer involved, this isn't a honda civic, it's a damn near $70k truck, and I know the feeling... Have had my vent windows shattered twice on my 97 obs so scum bags could steal a radio, have had my lockouts stolen, front drive shaft stolen, had 3k in tools stolen out of the back of my ole 94 IDI that I used as a work truck.. It's truly angering when it happens, the tools I had were financed through Snap on at the time and thankfully the dealer helped me out, the insurance company told me tough chit, shoulda had them locked inside a tool box, which I had one but there wasn't enough room to fit everything I had to repair excavating equipment. When I moved out into the country the best thing I did was invest in Rottweilers, my neighbor and I sold some old dodge truck parts to couple of young kids, and when they showed up I let both of them out, the looks on their faces kept them in their car and made them remember what was to come if they showed up and no one was around lol...

06-sixoh

Reaction score
So I took the ole girl for a drive today, to see what I could find wrong with the truck. When I got there, they had two techs waiting for me, and the service writer as well. All three went for a ride. we drove with the windows up and down. A/C on and off. Drove at 20 MPH and at 96 MPH. Drove in 4HI and engaged 4LO. Turned sharp, turned fast. Did everything I could think of to get it to clunk, vibrate, pull, jump or quit. Nothing. Truck rode smooth quiet and the throttle was sharp. If theres something wrong mechanically with it, I cant find it just yet. The manager of the body shop did tell me that he's seen the insurance company extend the warranty as an aid of coping for the owner. Since I already have the ESP plan, I think I will see what I can do about the insurance company maybe extending the term of the warranty. At this point in time, I see the dealership making a noticeable effort (in the shop anyways) to make sure this is done right.

The body shop manager DID say however, that a lot of what he recommends as repairs to the truck (now that the initial appraiser has already been out), is typically approved if its in reason. I don't know how much of that is true and how much of that is just trying to get me to feel better. But Im going to find out real quick. After they get everything washed down and we do another walk through next week, Im going to hand him a list of things that are going to make me happy, cosmetically. kind of my "E-Ticket" scenario. See how that goes. I might also take a couple people with me to help point out flaws, and hopefully influence him to recommend more replacement vs repairs.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
You know, I honestly havent even asked yet. Everything has been all paperwork and getting work lined out. Its been on my mind, but everytime I deal with them, Im in business mode and start delegating. hahaha I need to ask though. Thank you

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Good to hear!

So will the truck have theft history on the title? Or no
If the truck was reported stolen to the police and the police did their job correctly, then it was entered into NCIC. The VIN will always have the theft attached to it.

If the insurance company didn't pay out 80%, the truck will have a normal title. The theft most likely will be on a Car Fax report.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online