Restoring Stolen Truck

06-sixoh

Reaction score
If the truck was reported stolen to the police and the police did their job correctly, then it was entered into NCIC. The VIN will always have the theft attached to it.

If the insurance company didn't pay out 80%, the truck will have a normal title. The theft most likely will be on a Car Fax report.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is the outcome I was hoping for, and kind of along the lines I was thinking too. Im just hoping the recovered theft part of the report doesn't affect the resale value or trade in value.

After driving the truck, and giving some thought, ive come to somewhat of a conclusion. If the truck remains to drive fine for 6 months or so, and they replace/repair the truck to the point of no visual defect, I might just keep the dang thing. At that point, it ends up me being a picky owner (which I am), and I don't know if that's worth the cash Im going to have to come out of pocket with. I have decided, however, that I am going to have it appraised after they clean the truck up a bit. Gives me a starting point if I decide to trade in or sell the truck in the next few months. Like I said before, with the oil industry in the state that its in right now, dumping close to $18,000 in cash within a few months for two trucks may not be the smartest choice.

Zmann

Reaction score
that's my experience
since the truck didn't go back to the insurance company the title will remain unmarked
but that carfax ( theft) will have an effect on the future sales if nothing else it will
turn off some potential buyers

I found my truck on a lot and even though they provided the carfax they were surprised when I told them it was stolen previous to them obtaining it

I searched that truck hi and low , found some broken glass and some wet sand paper with the body color on it but no obvious repairs

but if it helps I bough my truck anyway and that was 80,000 miles ago with no related issues

i also agree with the theory that someone had more than a screwdriver to steal your truck

glad your winding down this misadventure

mandkole

Reaction score
This is the outcome I was hoping for, and kind of along the lines I was thinking too. Im just hoping the recovered theft part of the report doesn't affect the resale value or trade in value.

After driving the truck, and giving some thought, ive come to somewhat of a conclusion. If the truck remains to drive fine for 6 months or so, and they replace/repair the truck to the point of no visual defect, I might just keep the dang thing. At that point, it ends up me being a picky owner (which I am), and I don't know if that's worth the cash Im going to have to come out of pocket with. I have decided, however, that I am going to have it appraised after they clean the truck up a bit. Gives me a starting point if I decide to trade in or sell the truck in the next few months. Like I said before, with the oil industry in the state that its in right now, dumping close to $18,000 in cash within a few months for two trucks may not be the smartest choice.

Good for you and glad to hear that you're getting back on the right side of this.

Realistically, this is no different than being in an accident that was not your fault. You will get recovery, but its no longer 'new'. Absolutely no doubt that this sucks for you and is maddening as hell, but its just a truck. This rig will go into the bush and get used like a truck, so keep enjoying it.

With the potential Carfax branding that could come from the theft reporting, I would learn more about the diminished value piece of the claim.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Update:

Not too much has happened. Seems to be a slow process so far. Last week the whole truck was repainted. That makes me a happy. I wont have to deal with mismatched coloring. If the coloring is little off, at least it will match. As far as I can tell, the color looks pretty damn close. Even with a brand new one parked next to it.

Back seats came out this week, were reupholstered, and should be back in the truck by now. Most of the small cosmetic repairs are finished on the outside. The windshield was also replaced, and will be going to the tint shop probably next week, best case scenario. Today the truck was in getting the new keypad module installed, thus allowing me to have a new keypad code, making the old code obsolete. Next week, the truck will go into detail, and finally convinced them to send to the shop of my choice. I know I wont be disappointed in their service.

The bedliner should have been sprayed in this past week as well. I have yet to confirm this. Im assuming the truck will spend a full week at the detail shop, then back to the dealership the following week for odds and ends. Im expecting to get a call for a pre delivery walk around in two weeks.

I will say, I have been impressed so far at the hoops they are jumping though with minimal fight. Hopefully I will have an update next week, as I plan to surprise drop in at the detail shop.

sootie

Reaction score
on small detail...make sure they replace the manufacturers label on the drivers side door jam. Not just tape around or remove completely...

smcox1

Reaction score
I would've burnt the bitch down and got me a new one LOL But seriously if that happened to me there's no way I would except anything less than a new truck. I definitely feel bad for you.

JRLott

Reaction score
Dead giveaway that it's been painted. If someone doesn't get a car fax that it was stolen, it is advertisement that it was completely repainted. Which leads to why...

That's my guess. I'm probably way off in left field.

sootie

Reaction score
Dead giveaway that it's been painted. If someone doesn't get a car fax that it was stolen, it is advertisement that it was completely repainted. Which leads to why...

That's my guess. I'm probably way off in left field.

exactly.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
That does make a lot of sense. I will take a look at that; added to the list. Im hoping today or tomorrow going down to the detail shop and having a face to face with the owner. make sure he understands my expectations.

MrGTO

Reaction score
Man I feel bad for you. I couldn't imagine how sick I'd feel if I were in your shoes. Glad everything is looking better for you.

I'd like to know if there is a way to stop this kind of theft. Is there a way with a tuner or something to have a no start option or to cripple the truck by leaving it in a my key limited mode or does this kind of theft bypass my key all together? It would be nifty if a tuner could use the hill assist to lock the brakes somehow but then you'd run into the what if the tune screws up.

Sorry just slammed a monster I'm cracked out.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ive been doing some looking on some systems that do a lockout and a remote kill as well. Im also pretty sure I want to be able to track and locate. I think Viper offers a solution, but I havent been able to confirm this.

I have my days when I drive by the dealership and I get a little weezy. Im to the point now to where I just miss my truck. Ive been driving this POS rental Nissan, and Im about fed up with having to drive a car. 6'1"@235 lbs gets to be a little bit of a PITA getting in and out of a car everyday. Anyways, Im really hoping when it comes back from detail that it shines up and gets me past that last hump of disgust.

TyCorr

Reaction score

that's my experience
since the truck didn't go back to the insurance company the title will remain unmarked
but that carfax ( theft) will have an effect on the future sales if nothing else it will
turn off some potential buyers

I found my truck on a lot and even though they provided the carfax they were surprised when I told them it was stolen previous to them obtaining it

I searched that truck hi and low , found some broken glass and some wet sand paper with the body color on it but no obvious repairs

but if it helps I bough my truck anyway and that was 80,000 miles ago with no related issues

i also agree with the theory that someone had more than a screwdriver to steal your truck

glad your winding down this misadventure

Yes it will. Ive been trying to make a deal on an 07 kr in AZ that was stolen and reconditioned. Its in mint condition and they are only asking 17k because the title is clear but its got "reported stolen" and "theft recovery" on the VIN. And it was reported damaged because the handle was busted, the ignition was punched out, and the seats were messed up.

Its kinda a pita because AZ demands that it have an inspection done by the local pd before it can be released for title and registration. I live in IL and they require an inspection by the local governing pd that offers inspections. But its looking like they sub it out to the truck safety centers. So theres a grand of inspections to pay for.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Ive been doing some looking on some systems that do a lockout and a remote kill as well. Im also pretty sure I want to be able to track and locate. I think Viper offers a solution, but I havent been able to confirm this.

Viper sells Smart Start which is their GPS based tracker and remote start system. You need the Smart Start GPS module.

No company is going to have a remote kill system, too much liability. I know how to remote kill the truck using the Viper Smart Start module. I'm not going to post it, PM me if you want to know how to do it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

truckman1974

Reaction score
I can't remember what the name brand of mine was, but I had a system on my F150. It was a GPS REMOTE KILL system. If someone stole my truck, I could log into the website, see it's location and remote kill the engine. I want to say the service was about $200 a year. I only had the truck for about 2 years and sold it. I bought it and had it installed in El Paso, Tx. I had all the info saved in my email but may have ******d it when I sold the truck. If I come across it I will let you know.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Viper sells Smart Start which is their GPS based tracker and remote start system. You need the Smart Start GPS module.

No company is going to have a remote kill system, too much liability. I know how to remote kill the truck using the Viper Smart Start module. I'm not going to post it, PM me if you want to know how to do it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Theyre developing cars with breathalyzers that will sniff the air in the car and if they detect a certain amount of alcohol they will use the gps to locate a safe area to pull off and will shut the car down.

Thats a bit more than im interested in lol

Baker42

Reaction score
Damn that sucks man. A couple of weeks ago a buddy of mine came into town to get supplies (he lives in the sticks). His truck is a 2010 suburban. Somehow they unlocked his doors and stole all his tools and his AR 15. The police told him that alot of that has been going on and they thought it was an app for your phone that allowed thieves to unlock and start keyfob vehicles. Who knows man but that sucks.

Latest posts

Members online