SuperArmor for the Superduty

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
i saw the rendering but i would like to see it on an actual truck

Also why not just take the grill off and make your bumper and grill take up that space LOL would look clean like that

Ah ok, I was under the impression that he only had one made.

Sent from the Bayou

17BLKplat

Reaction score
This is a slick project. Can we just take a minute to marvel at the rendering software you're using?! :eek: I think I need to get my hands on that lol
And I agree with what others have said, love the design as a whole, but I'd just take out the two center grille bars and it'll be spot on. The newer headlight hoop design is on par too.
Excited to see how this comes together. Looks like some good old fashioned fab work! Keep it up man!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
i saw the rendering but i would like to see it on an actual truck
I think we'll be doing just that for a friend of mine.

He's got a '13 Black longbed and he wants my stuff too. His will be the first 'customer' truck and I think he wants the one without the hoop and wings.

Of course, we haven't laid eyes on how my truck looks in the real world so that may change. As a couple of you have commented, it looks even better on the truck.

Plus if I can actually MAKE this 'question mark' wing we have that option too.

Weight for a front bumper starts at 138lbs and maxes out 230.

Program is Solidworks

My question for all of you is: "how much?"
So please give me your honest opinion on what it should sell for (not what you wish it would sell for, lol.)

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Would there ever be a option to have everything fabbed out of aluminum? Prob would have to use slightly thicker material on the alum option to make up for the difference in strength from steel? And I understand the price would increase.... But has it ever crossed your mind?

Derkperk

Reaction score
Best looking aftermarket bumper I've seen. Gives that tough azz look but doesn't stick out a foot from the front and shockingly light for what it is. I don't have a new bodied ford but really like the look of the later designed wings. As others said, would love an early body option!
As for pricing, that's tough. Looks like there is a ton of fab required with all the rounded edges and fully boxed design. I would not expect to see $1800-2000 for a front.

Last edited:

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I don't know how much production cost is, but I think around $1300 for the base model bumper(no wings, hoop or wench mount). But that depends heavily on how much it costs you to build. If you could, pricing them competitively w/ road armor or fusion, that'd be great. That said, I really don't know much about the fab processes of either, so I may be substantially low balling you.

Not to derail, but how do you like solidworks? Have you tried AutoCAD? If so, how do they compare? I'm asking bc I'll be using solidworks for my CM class starting next week.

Sent from the Bayou

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Would there ever be a option to have everything fabbed out of aluminum? Prob would have to use slightly thicker material on the alum option to make up for the difference in strength from steel? And I understand the price would increase.... But has it ever crossed your mind?

The problem with aluminum is that it turns into peanut butter where you weld it.

Really, 6 series T6 alum has a yield strength in the mid 30s, that's nearly the strength of mild steel, so inch for inch, you are about equal in strength at 1/3rd the weight. Problem is that when you weld it you lose the T6 and it drops into the peanut butter category, a paltry 8ksi yield, less than a quarter of it's T6 strength. The trick would be building it from Alum and then restoring it's T6 rating, without having it warp to the point of being unusable. At which time you'd have something with the strength of mild steel at 1/3rd the weight. In $$ it would probably be somewhere between half again or double the price of steel.
No, I haven't considered it at all:D

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Fixing those headlight guards made all the difference in the world bud. It really had a depressed look in the first pictures but I really like the mess out of the new renderings

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I don't like it in black. Just too much. Needs to be painted to match the truck just like I thought. My dad was coming to visit for the first time and I 'had' to have it done. Powder coat was the only one who had time so that's what it got.

Also we got a little warpage of the panels, combined with working the edges a little unevenly and things are pretty wavy. I'm taking it to a body shop this afternoon to look at smoothing things out with some filler. Even the places where the ribs are welded from the backside show a little.
I think fixing this up with a little body filler would be easy, but they don't really have fillers for powder coating. It's going to be tough in production to deal with that, but we'll figure it out.

All in all, I think it came out pretty good for a prototype.
IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

IMAG1295.jpg

IMAG1294.jpg

The next one will be the winch version with the slanted hoop and 'question mark' headlight protection.

vcassens

Reaction score
I don't like it in black. Just too much. Needs to be painted to match the truck just like I thought. My dad was coming to visit for the first time and I 'had' to have it done. Powder coat was the only one who had time so that's what it got.

Also we got a little warpage of the panels, combined with working the edges a little unevenly and things are pretty wavy. I'm taking it to a body shop this afternoon to look at smoothing things out with some filler. Even the places where the ribs are welded from the backside show a little.
I think fixing this up with a little body filler would be easy, but they don't really have fillers for powder coating. It's going to be tough in production to deal with that, but we'll figure it out.

All in all, I think it came out pretty good for a prototype.
IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

IMAG1295.jpg

IMAG1294.jpg

The next one will be the winch version with the slanted hoop and 'question mark' headlight protection.

wow that looks good

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk now Free

smcox1

Reaction score
Should've left it raw and clear coated it that would've been pretty cool.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm still not completely thrilled with the center two bars. Maybe one would be better, even if it does block the Ford emblem.

Last edited:

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I like it. Can't you render in some jack stands or wheels though!? Kills me sittin on the rotors LOL

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Following the flow of the headlights looks amazing. The headlights and mirrors are what make these trucks IMO. Just like when people go from pre 08 mirrors on pre 08 trucks to 08+ mirrors on pre 08 trucks. The mirrors match the same contour as the headlights in the pre 08 trucks. I understand their point in doing the swap as the FOV is a lot greater in the 08+ mirrors and it doesn't look terrible but I think it looks better with the factory ones that matched the headlights

smcox1

Reaction score
I'm still not completely thrilled with the center two bars. Maybe one would be better, even if it does block the Ford emblem.

No bars leave it open like the first one you made. Or if you do put bars make them thick, those skinny ones look so out of place.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
The small center bar is too high up and too close to the top main bar. Maybe try getting rid of the top small bar, centering the lower bar and making it thicker even though it will prob cover the ford emblem. Or do away totally with the horizontal bars and make two thicker vertical bars that straddle the emblem.

Latest posts

Members online