Swapping a cummins 5.9 CR into 08 F350

dsberman94

Reaction score
since you seem dead set in going through with this giant waste, imo of course, barder has some parts you could need or want in the classifieds. good luck

superpsd

Reaction score
Well I agree on your decision. I mean why put another 6.4 in to have it fail again. The 5.9 CR seems to be pretty stout.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I would put another 6.4 in it. My 6.4 did hold up well for what I did with the truck. But I wanna go a different route in the trucks life, start a project that I never done before

Strokersace

Reaction score
I say do what you want to do. Whether I agree with it or not.

My advice... If you still owe money on it, keep it stock. Think resale value and getting outbid your loan if you have to. If you own it outright, do whatever your little heart desires! If that's the case, you're not dependent upon the bank.

Reaction score
Whatever year engine use, get all the electronics for 06-09. The 3rd gen 6.7 ECM and wiring will run a 2013 with a few tweaks in EFILive. You can even run the 6.7 with a 5.9 ecm. Don't buy a PCS whatever you do. The Ford ecm will run the trans just fine with a custom SCT tune.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The 6.7 cummins is not the holy grail of engines either. All the initial fans that bought them and blew them up, were replacing the bottom end with a 5.9. The rods suck ball. But they were were slapping the 6.7 back on. if i remember correctly the injs were alittle different in diameter so they needed the head.

If you think your going to swap in a cummins to evade all the problems that can easily be remedied with a 6.4?

You are fooling yourself. And you cannot even do it to be different! lol

All im saying is if your thinking with your pocket book, and want to fix the truck as cheap as possible? then i guess if you found he correct parts cheap enough to make it happen. But if your doing it for a reliable stand point, or you think you will never have to open the hood for anything more then oil changes, etc?

I think you are fooling yourself... imho..

I would even offer to build you a 6.4, that you would have great luck with. And if it just failed for no reason, i would refund you 100% Because if done right, they are fine!!!

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
Doesn't the kit from destroked.com come with everything I need? I said I end in my engine wire harness a they make all the connections and stuff I need

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Doesn't the kit from destroked.com come with everything I need? I said I end in my engine wire harness a they make all the connections and stuff I need

You need to send in both the cummins and the 6.4 wiring harness' to destroked and they make you one harness. I have priced this out for many customers just like you, and not one has done it because it ends up being way more than even rebuilding a 6.4 from scratch. Keep in mind if your buying a cummins Longblock you still need injectors, turbo, manifold, etc. Just like everybody else says, it won't be cheaper so don't expect that, but if it's what you want to do then giver. It's your truck!

Reaction score
You need to send in both the cummins and the 6.4 wiring harness' to destroked and they make you one harness. I have priced this out for many customers just like you, and not one has done it because it ends up being way more than even rebuilding a 6.4 from scratch. Keep in mind if your buying a cummins Longblock you still need injectors, turbo, manifold, etc. Just like everybody else says, it won't be cheaper so don't expect that, but if it's what you want to do then giver. It's your truck!

I charge $25K for a full swap not counting the engine. The Destroked harnesses are awesome, but they use a PCS for trans so to do it my way you have make a twin throttle pedal setup. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55723

co04cobra

Reaction score
Here are a couple key ?s. Do you still owe on the truck? Do you have 25k+ to get the swap done? Will it bother you if some things do not work on the truck again or correctly?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 6.4, bought a machined block, .020" over pistons, studs, all bearings, seals, gaskets, oil cooler, belts tensioners and idlers, reman heads, down pipe, a couple rocker assemblies. Granted I'm doing majority of the work myself but I'm only in it lil under $5k right now.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
To be different you, that part makes sense. But you will in no way come out cheaper by swapping in a cummins. This is coming from someone who needed a new block when the last one wanted another window in it.

superpsd

Reaction score
You know if you really wanted it to be different ... DT466 ... Either way I wish you luck on your destroked swap.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.