Swapping a cummins 5.9 CR into 08 F350

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
E
i thought people said that the 6.7 camshaft is only supported on the ends, and if you tuen to many reps you can break it?

Never heard that. Some have had issues getting big RPM out of the 6.7...More tuning options on the 6.7, you could probably keep your minimax...I also hear a company in Utah will be releasing a 6.7 single turbo kit one day maybe.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
actually looking online and 5.9 and 6.7 long blocks there doesn't seem to be a big price difference between the two, only about 700 more for a 6.7.... hmmmmmm

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a 6.7 is just a little bigger 5.9. you could still control it with 5.9 electronics. Only difference is you might actually be able to find a clean, low mile 6.7 pull-out, whereas the newest 5.9 you'll find is 8yrs old now.

I'll go ahead and officially cast my vote for fixing the truck as a 6.4 vs. doing a Cummins swap. You'll be into the 6.4 build less than $10k hopefully, and if your ducks are in a row, you could have the truck back on the road in literaly DAYS. (buy a new short block from Ford, and get after it) You're going to be $20k+ into a clean 5.9 CR swap, and I predict that the truck won't be 100% ironed out/dialed in with all gauges working, trans shifting spot on, no lights on the dash, air conditioning, etc. by this time next year.

If you're just looking for a project, that's great, but I highly recommend scouring the various forums out there and reading up on how this swap typically goes down for those who attempt it. (I say attempt, because very few actually perform what I consider a "complete" conversion)

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
actually looking online and 5.9 and 6.7 long blocks there doesn't seem to be a big price difference between the two, only about 700 more for a 6.7.... hmmmmmm

If it was me and would being doing a 6.7 1000%. It could be potentially less of a headache to do a same year swap from registration emissions etc.. In Wyoming prob won't matter.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you will want the 6.7 just simiply for displacement at this altitude, they spool turbos much better than 5.9s

Stroked777

Reaction score
I just gotta find a place to get a long block from. Or get a wrecked truck. What is a good palce to get a block from, I saw black water engines come up on google and price didn't seem bad at all

ghohouston

Reaction score
I just gotta find a place to get a long block from. Or get a wrecked truck. What is a good palce to get a block from, I saw black water engines come up on google and price didn't seem bad at all

I'd be a bit leary of any rebuilt motors unless it's a cummins "re con"

TurboM700

Reaction score

From someone who has done a few conversions, this is the only way to go. Buy a complete truck take the parts you need and sell the rest. This little things here and there add up very quickly and waiting for parts adds a ton of time to the build.

My last swap was my Excursion and I bought a motor and found the rest of the parts online took forever and lost motivation half way thru. Now that its done I'm happy with it but finding parts sucks!!!!

Also like many have said look are resale, you might not think your going to sell it today but 3yr down the road when your having your first kid and want to get the wife into something safe. You might be selling your truck todo so.

Resale on Cummins conversions trucks is not great at all. They are usally worth half of what you have in them if your lucky.

Just my 2 cents

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
nobody plans on getting rid of something like that quickly, but what's the longest you've owned a truck so far? :D

bruce

Reaction score
I would have done thrown a match in the front seat and took the money and bought a half ton

Latest posts

Members online