Swapping a cummins 5.9 CR into 08 F350

ghohouston

Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1236120-blackwater-engines-040-over-pistons-blow-by-and-lies.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...water-put-in-mahle-black-diamond-gaskets.html

I do realize this is just a few, but seriously, do some digging. I'll tell you though, I'm a diesel mechanic for a company with a fleet of over 400 powerstrokes, and have installed A LOT of reman motors. All from A.E.R. which are junk as well. We cant seem to get 100k out of them, when the originals lasted 250-300k on average. 7.3's and 6.0's. Still don't understand why we don't personally assemble them at our shop. We do in frames on the big trucks we have. Unless YOU personally build it, or have a REPUTABLE shop build/rebuild a motor, I wouldn't trust it to last.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Should be a cool project if you end up doing it. I've always thought about putting a CR cummins in my truck, but is a 7.slow so....

dsberman94

Reaction score
Copart would have what you'd need more than likely. There one about a mile down the road from me and I see wrecked cars and trucks going in and out all the time. I'm sure most of the rest of them have the same type of deal going on.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well the truck is at hallers right now. A lifter wiped out the stg 1 cam and is stuck in the block, and the block is cracked around ther lifter and all the Pistons on the passenger side slapped some valves. I figured that a pod cumins block is cheaper than a 6.4 long or short block

if that motor was already apart, and you had that kind of damage. Then it wasn't done correctly the first time. Should have done heavy springs, rods, and lifters, if they were not changed.

Inline6359

Reaction score
You used to be able to get a deal on copart. Not so much anymore. Keep an eye out on craigslist and your local hole in the wall junk yards. Thats how i found my donor truck.

Stroked777

Reaction score
This project is on hold. I don't have the money now and I'm looking to buy a house. I heard back from the machine shop about my heads, the heads were the only thing I was hoping were still good, but they are completely junk as well. So the plan is to turn the 6.4 into a table and to get a 5.9 common rail or maybe get a 6.7 and run it with 5.9 ECM and swap that into the truck. If the heads came back good I would probably rebuilt the truck with a 6.4 but I see this as a good time to start it as a project

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Reman heads aren't all that expensive..... I know a place to get them but they are not a site sponsor.... several of my buddies are running heads from them and I'm fixing to get a set from them as well.... I am doing full rebuild with delipped pistons, all new bearings, seals, gaskets, o rings, oil cooler, belts, tensioners, idlers, buying used block and boring .020" over, and reman heads, a couple rocker sets.... I will have just a hair over $5k in parts.

superpsd

Reaction score
Make sure to buy a house with a bigger shop or garage than you think you need. Then you will have a spot to do the Cummins swap and save by doing a lot of the work yourself if your up to it.

webb06

Reaction score
I can see this turning in to a project that's never going to get finished. Why don't you put the 6.4 back together and get rid of it? That would be your smartest move.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I can see this turning in to a project that's never going to get finished. Why don't you put the 6.4 back together and get rid of it? That would be your smartest move.

I agree with this.
OP youve been around for awhile and have always been a nice guy.
Dont take this the wrong way but I just wanted to give you my constructive opinion.

You just moved to a whole new state, new job, trying to buy a new house. I dont know if you proposed to your girlfriend but I think you did?
So a wedding will soon come etc. even if you didnt propose....face it. Shes in your sig

Do you think a project that is going to inevitably cost lots of money is the smartest move for a guy in your current life situation and age ?

Put it back together cheap and trade it in on something new and enjoy it. Go about life and buy a 6.4 in a couple years for nothing and do it then when you have a more stable life and financial stability.

Not hating on you, just dont want to see you screw yourself.

Latest posts

Members online