T-4 mount up pipe welds?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Was that weld done by an employee? If so, he needs to improve his work.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Are you a mechanical engineer.....or a welding expert?

As long as the up-pipes do not leak, there is little chance of burning through a .100'' weld as there is the .040'' pipe.

.5'' of good weld on either side of the flange plate is enough to hold a GT45 charger through a end-o crash.

Do you seriously think those welds will hold up on the up-pipes? Before you ask; I'm not a mechanical engineer but I have many hours of welding education and can weld quite well.

There is poor penetration, they are disgusting (yes, a weld should look nice even if you cannot see it) and there are spots that do not overlap. The spots with no overlap would leak or crack in a short time.

It is great that the vendor that built these owned up and is going to correct them.

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
Those welds are horrible! A weld is like signing your name, the welder who did those welds either has little experience or has no pride in his work. Jake it might be time to get a QC inspector and have your parts checked before shipping.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Jake its nice to see your getting that taken cared of. I would like to see when its tig welded....by then I should be ready for one,we will see.

Who does the welding?

a_moore

Reaction score
The ***kin welds look exactly the same on all of these mounts that have been posted over the last six months. (look in the custom turbo setup thread)

Now, one guy makes a bitch about it on the web and you have all these people jumping on the bandwagon.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
The ***kin welds look exactly the same on all of these mounts that have been posted over the last six months. (look in the custom turbo setup thread)

Now, one guy makes a bitch about it on the web and you have all these people jumping on the bandwagon.

So your saying this is acceptable?

101_0500.jpg

a_moore

Reaction score
I am asking why it took so long for someone to say something.....

Then everyone has something to say.

I am sorry I was involved in this thread.

09stroker

Reaction score
Does it really matter how many people think they are ****ty and how many think its ok to buy a fabricated piece and have ****ty looking welds? ****ty either way you put it.

Last edited:

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
The welder needs to turn up his heat and make sure he is tied in to both plates and 10 minutes with a grinder and a soft pad would make alot of difference in the appearance in those pipes and mounts. I have no doubt Jake will take care of this problem and these pipes and mounts will be like his RR kit.

a_moore

Reaction score
I can say this, from the price of his kit I will buy one from him instead of taking all the time to build another one.....if I ever get another 7.3. And I built a few myself.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I am asking why it took so long for someone to say something.....

Then everyone has something to say.

I am sorry I was involved in this thread.

I never brought it up because I never bought one. Once you own a product, you've bought the right to bitch.

Andy, respect for you man but you are way off planet with this one. Sorry

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Here are two from May, same issues present. Nobody said a word about it then. Now one guy bitches and everyone climbs on the wagon.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16393&postcount=23

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16434&postcount=24

I had not read the entire thread for either link but from the pictures you linked to in the specific posts, it is very hard see the quality of the welds and from what I can actually see, they look a whole lot better than the welds in this thread. The first link has all the items coated that you can see the welds and the second link does not have any close-ups.

I would have said the same thing as I did in this thread in those if I would have seen them but I did not. I'm still not sure what you are trying to get across other than maybe why cry now when it was just as bad then? Maybe you let one to two things slide but when it becomes a common practice people start to notice and make comments good or bad.

Someone mentioned that a grinder should have been used. There is no need to use a grinder in fabrication like this. A first semester high school welding student could make better welds than were made on these parts.

I'm not blaming the vendor because he obviously did not weld these parts. His only downfall is letting sub par product out the door without checking it. He stepped up, admitted his mistake, is going to rectify it and make the correct changes so this will hopefully not happen again.

I'm sure $$ is the deciding factor but why not get the mount bent in a hydraulic brake so no welding is needed on that part, it would look much nicer? I'm sure with it being a one off item, it would not be worth the cost. You could get all the parts cut and bent up ahead of time so all you had to do is weld them up or even have the shop weld them up.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of what the welds should look like or have some pics of there kit?

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Away from the shop now but can get some pictures of the 321ss tig welded up-pipes when I get back.

jngreen

Reaction score
Andy, respect for you man but you are way off planet with this one. Sorry

I can say this, from the price of his kit I will buy one from him instead of taking all the time to build another one.....if I ever get another 7.3. And I built a few myself.

I think he makes some valid points, and tops it off with the statement above.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Using a tig torch should take most of what you see with the mig away because you can control the heat to get a smoother bead around the whole piece i.e. using a foot feed you can back it off a little towards the end of the bead. I bet you turn some of those thinner mig welds around somewhere there will be good penetration because the metal was getting hotter as he went. Can't adjust a mig on the fly so its always gonna happen

Latest posts

Members online