T-4 mount up pipe welds?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Inexpensive parts sometimes require finishing. That's life, and why I own a welder and plenty of grinders. Top quality parts get top quality $$$$ you can pay 1 guy a little and do some work yourself or pay someone $100 per hour to do what you can do at home. The hard parts look good, 30mins of cleanup and some welding and they're good 2 go!

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Inexpensive parts sometimes require finishing. That's life, and why I own a welder and plenty of grinders. Top quality parts get top quality $$$$ you can pay 1 guy a little and do some work yourself or pay someone $100 per hour to do what you can do at home. The hard parts look good, 30mins of cleanup and some welding and they're good 2 go!

You shouldn't have to do major fabrication to seal leaks on a part that is suppose to be "bolt on". If you paid $50 for the up pipe kit that's one thing, if you spend hundreds of dollars for a kit it shouldn't require more then a can of paint & bolts.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Oh good lord people. Jake has been in business how long? He's had how many complaints? How many returned products compared to the giant number of kits he's sold? His stuff costs how much compared to anyone else's? You add all that up and throw in the fact that he's making changes right now to make it the best product possible and fix the current gripes as soon as they've been pointed out..... I can't believe this thread is still going! One of you still bashing Jake please post up the answers to my questions above. All of them. Post that up with whatever you have to say next.

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
Someone mentioned that a grinder should have been used. There is no need to use a grinder in fabrication like this. A first semester high school welding student could make better welds than were made on these parts.

That was me that said that about the grinders. I agree that there is no need to grind them if welded the right way but these welds need a grinder and a soft pad no doubt about it. I've been a welder for 20 years and I can tell you all good welders have spent their fare share of time running a grinder, if you put down a crappy weld and have to grind it down you'll learn to weld the right way.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Oh good lord people. Jake has been in business how long? Not that long on the fourum.He's had how many complaints?Several in this thread and plenty of people have been questioning his welds for a long time. Just because it doesn't make it onto the forum, does not mean it isn't noticed How many returned products compared to the giant number of kits he's sold? Well considering I dont work for Irate, I dont have access to the books, I cant say exactly. I will say that numbers like how many sold vs how many returned isn't exactly a good comparisson. As you've read, many in this thread would just assume keep his mount kit and fix it themselves to avoid downtime, the hassle, etcHis stuff costs how much compared to anyone else's?I believe he is $50 cheaper then the Murff mount kit. $50 cheaper is not enough to justify his inability to weld, or make sure he's putting out a quality product. Murff's kit is mass-produced, where Jake's kit is made in house, one at a time. If there was any room for error it would be with Murff's stuff just because he doesn't have the option of having eyes on every kit he puts out. Jake does. IMO, there is no excue for the work seen here You add all that up and throw in the fact that he's making changes right now to make it the best product possible and fix the current gripes as soon as they've been pointed outI add all that up and I still am where I was before you posted. Jake is making it right, offered to right off the bat. I think he made a mistake, and that happens, understandable. What I dont agree with is people trying to justify this shoddy work with reasons of "Oh, well it doesn't cost that much" or "It shopuld hold up, whats the problem" Thats ridiculous..... I can't believe this thread is still going! One of you still bashing Jake please post up the answers to my questions above. All of them. Post that up with whatever you have to say nextNobody is bashing Jake, numbnuts. Simply stating that there is issues with his welding. That this isn't the first kit and that its good to see him stepping right up to the plate to make it right. I think everybody in here has said just that. They all recognize he is doing the right thing about it, BUT it doesn't excuse the work. .

There you go.

V-Ref

Reaction score
There you go.[/QUOTE]

Your one of the "big hitters" on this forum....I've come to respect your contribution here.

But not the one above.

Murff isn't a sponsor here. Your questioning the quality of a sponsors work shpuld be handled VIA a moderator or direct.

We wouldn't allow Farmers injectors to be called better than Nate's on here...

So your post above needs some cleaning up imo.

Bring on the ban if you'd like, but the post above is BS.......does nothing to help the OP, or move the forum forward imho.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
There you go.

You have to start somewhere there was a chit ton of problems with murffs mounts and tons of complaints the headers kept cracking you should know that. i have no complaints with Jake hell i bet if i picked up the phone right now if i had a problem he would answer even though its a sunday hes got excellent service and cares about his customers.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I have an irate mount.... His welds look perfect.... Honestly Jake has the best customer service! If I had a problem he would be there any time of day or night! I'm sure it can all be handled in no time I have no problem with my mount at all good luck and sorry for your problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moose99psd

Reaction score
i have allways said to myself from the first time i saw pictures of his work that i thought the welds looked like crap. but i didnt own a kit and wasnt going to say anything and start something, reguardless of how strong it is, the way it LOOKS portrays your company. i weld for a living, tig and mig, and these are just a lack of caring by the looks of them, rush to get them done and out the door.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Jake is making it right... He has way more happy than unhappy customers and he has great custom service. I'm one of the happy customers he's been great to me. I think all the bashing needs to stop and this needs to be closed due to Jake making it right.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
There you go.

Your one of the "big hitters" on this forum....I've come to respect your contribution here.

But not the one above.

Murff isn't a sponsor here. Your questioning the quality of a sponsors work shpuld be handled VIA a moderator or direct.

We wouldn't allow Farmers injectors to be called better than Nate's on here...

So your post above needs some cleaning up imo.

Bring on the ban if you'd like, but the post above is BS.......does nothing to help the OP, or move the forum forward imho.

The above post was simply my take on the situation and those whose continue to try and make excuses for the work because it doesn't cost that much, or that it should be fine, etc., so Im not gonna clean it up one bit. And you're right, Murff isn't a site sponsor, but Im not here pushing his mount kits. I never said his mount kit was better, either. I merely used him as a price/manufacturing point to compare to Jake for the question asked.

End of the day, as I've said ten times in this thread already, Jake is doing the right thing. He's not in here trying to make excuses for it, etc., he notices there is an issue, said he's gonna fix it, problem solved. The ongoing discussion is with the other people here who seem to believe that the OP shouldn't be complaining about it, that its not the look, its about penetration, yada, yada, yada, that Im addressing.

Im a ceritified welder. I work for the Gov. at a nuke plant. I know what a good weld looks like, and I also know what a crappy one looks like. I have let guys go for the same attitude, the same work, the same excuses. There's no need for it. If you cant find time to do it right the first time, when are you gonna find time to do it over?

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
The above post was simply my take on the situation and those whose continue to try and make excuses for the work because it doesn't cost that much, or that it should be fine, etc., so Im not gonna clean it up one bit. And you're right, Murff isn't a site sponsor, but Im not here pushing his mount kits. I never said his mount kit was better, either. I merely used him as a price/manufacturing point to compare to Jake for the question asked.

End of the day, as I've said ten times in this thread already, Jake is doing the right thing. He's not in here trying to make excuses for it, etc., he notices there is an issue, said he's gonna fix it, problem solved. The ongoing discussion is with the other people here who seem to believe that the OP shouldn't be complaining about it, that its not the look, its about penetration, yada, yada, yada, that Im addressing.

Im a ceritified welder. I work for the Gov. at a nuke plant. I know what a good weld looks like, and I also know what a crappy one looks like. I have let guys go for the same attitude, the same work, the same excuses. There's no need for it. If you cant find time to do it right the first time, when are you gonna find time to do it over?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it any better. :rockon:

Marty

Reaction score
Welds were not as good as they could be on the kits I've received but there are negatives about every kit available. I'll take the kit that doesn't rub a hole in itself in the head, doesn't force you into a t4i with donut gaskets and comes with an intercooler tube that actually fits.

Up the game on the welding and charge another 50 bucks Jake.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Welds were not as good as they could be on the kits I've received but there are negatives about every kit available. I'll take the kit that doesn't rub a hole in itself in the head, doesn't force you into a t4i with donut gaskets and comes with an intercooler tube that actually fits.

Well said. That X2.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do major fabrication to seal leaks on a part that is suppose to be "bolt on". If you paid $50 for the up pipe kit that's one thing, if you spend hundreds of dollars for a kit it shouldn't require more then a can of paint & bolts.

My bad, I missed the leaking. I thought this was just about ugly welds getting smoothed.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score

No doubt. I've found flaws in every set of headers I've ever bought, and had to port CNC AFR heads because of imperfections. I guess I'm just used to "custom fit".

my79f

Reaction score

My life installing the hypermax kit. :doh:

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Here are some better pics of Tig welded up-pipes. Just received the others back on Friday and will clean up a couple spots on them.

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1325.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

Latest posts

Members online