T4 mount questions

Cody

Reaction score
All said and done I didn't have to swap VC's just had to do a little firewall/doghouse hammer time im running a 5.5" inlet to 4" to 6637.. its tight but works.

It looks like it isn't sealed in the pic at the intake pipe.. but it is.. theres maybe a 1/4" gap idk why it looks so bad in the picture

turbo.jpg

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I have a better question.
Why the hell would you try? If you don't have the fuel to kill a stock turbo, why would you spend the coin on a T4 setup ?

Personally, I wouldn't spend the coin on a T4 mount either way. Building one...different story.
Not everyone has the means to 'build' their truck in one step. Going with something other than a stock drop-in turbo opens the door to moving forward in the future.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the S366 is better than a 38r, the T4 mount is a better platform to build on though.

then a 38R would be the best way to go... $1500 for the turbo with a high flow outlet and a deleted pedestal...your done and good for another 100k..if your really hell bent on a T-4 then maybe a GSSB with the 160's...never ran one..but i hear there very good...

GQSSB is T4i...
For the record, I'm an OBS guy so my situation is a little different than yours. Going through the process of changing manifolds, up-pipes, collector, pedestal etc to run a 38r doesn't make sense when T4 is an option.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
then why does you post start like this??

what does that have to do with durability?? I believe that was the question you was asked and did not answer...i know some have had luck with the 366 but they spent the extra $$$ for a waste gate... thats more $$ then i have in my set up and i didnt need to buy a 366 to have it......

Ok so I should have said the benefit of going with a T4 setup...

then a 38R would be the best way to go... $1500 for the turbo with a high flow outlet and a deleted pedestal...your done and good for another 100k..if your really hell bent on a T-4 then maybe a GSSB with the 160's...never ran one..but i hear there very good...

Why spend that kind of money on a 38R when you can go T4? I don't know what your rub is with the S366, for guys running smallish injectors they work very well from everything I've read. Lower BP's than a 38R too.
For OBS guys especially the 38R just makes no sense when you can spend the same coin on a T4 setup and have your choice of turbos instead of being stuck with a 38R, which have had their problems also.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Why spend that kind of money on a 38R when you can go T4? I don't know what your rub is with the S366, for guys running smallish injectors they work very well from everything I've read. Lower BP's than a 38R too.
For OBS guys especially the 38R just makes no sense when you can spend the same coin on a T4 setup and have your choice of turbos instead of being stuck with a 38R, which have had their problems also.

If everybody would.get on the samepage, it would.help. Obs guys would only be advised if they got a free 38r and paid a couple.bucks.for the late99 parts to use it. Get a t4, absolutely.

My issue lies with guys who because they CANT(reasonably and without switching to late99+ superduty) run a 38r insist an s366 is a "better" turbo. Its bs too. They are NOT the same turbo. Obviously, I know. My point is an s366 a CHEAP ASS.charger. Which is fine. Buy a gate and have fun! Its not a dual ball bearing garrett.

If you want to praise the s366, fine but lets be.straight here. In reliability an s366 will never trump a 38r. Theres a reason a 38r costs twice as much.

Since we're all throwing out our opinions why wouldnt you run a s467 or 468 if you were going to the expense to change all that bs? If "well it fits right in there" is the reason why not run a super 66? Or a bdp d66?

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't spend the coin on a T4 mount either way. Building one...different story.
Not everyone has the means to 'build' their truck in one step. Going with something other than a stock drop-in turbo opens the door to moving forward in the future.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the S366 is better than a 38r, the T4 mount is a better platform to build on though.

GQSSB is T4i...
For the record, I'm an OBS guy so my situation is a little different than yours. Going through the process of changing manifolds, up-pipes, collector, pedestal etc to run a 38r doesn't make sense when T4 is an option.
I thought we was talking super duty not OBS..so your situation is a little different read Tycorr's post above mine....anyway..like I said I never ran or looked into a QSSB because I new what I wanted...IMO you should already have the injectors for the power level you want to be at before you spend money on a turbo..I new I wanted to be close to 600hp when all said and done..i got my injector's first...I de tuned my 300/200's for the 38R that I already had then saved up for the right turbo and mount..I go by the words you cant mod on a budget.. it doesn't pay off down the road...if that 366 ****s out before you can save the coin for the right turbo..then what?? another 700 bucks? the 38R has been track proven for many years and a lot of people run it..I don't see many threads about a 38R blowing up.. I do see a lot of them for sale in the classifieds for 800 or so after they ran the piss out of it..I don't think the same could be said with the 366...

once again..I am not a fan of moding on a budget...do it once or don't do it at all...the 38R has been track proven for many years..it has a bigger shaft and it is a dual ball bearing turbo..they do take the abuse very well and it keeps on spooling..it will out live the 366 any day of the week and you can still sell it for more then half of what you paid for it.. it would give you the down payment on a mount and the right turbo when your ready to step up... there are far more 38R's out there compared to the 366..how many threads have you seen with a 38R exploding??? the new WW2 or a 115 housing will help lower them BP numbers as well..

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Monkey... Meet football.

Yea, trying to clear up someones claim that an s366 is better, more reliable, than a 38r is akin to a monkey ***king a football.

You know there are people looking at this who might actually believe that and go buy a s366 because "they're better than 38rs" and for only 700 bucks!

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
I like it when someone says a journal bearing turbo is better than a ball bearing. The s366 is good. And if it fails you can rebuild it.
But a 38r is a Garret ball bearing turbo. :evil: Those benefits speak for themselves. Look at the guys running GTX42s and ask them how they like those turbos. And if they ever fail.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I like it when someone says a journal bearing turbo is better than a ball bearing. The s366 is good. And if it fails you can rebuild it.
But a 38r is a Garret ball bearing turbo. :evil: Those benefits speak for themselves. Look at the guys running GTX42s and ask them how they like those turbos. And if they ever fail.

Don't speak of **** you don't know anything about.

The 38R is a good little turbo, however just because it runs a BB cartridge does not mean its the cats meow.

Better then 90% of the high HP guys out there are NOT running a BB charger...

Shhh little man

Strokersace

Reaction score
Ok, now that I've sobered up slightly and re read this I still say monkey meet football because you all are saying the same thing just in a different way. Plain and simple!!

The issue with the 38r is that its the max you can go on the stock setup. They have ridiculous back pressures. Sure the ww and 1.15 help, but that's another $600+ onto the original $1500 price tag. Still have bp issues. NO, you don't see many turbos blow, but the motors below are taking massive abuse when people run larger and larger injectors and push it past the point the 38r is designed for.

So as Ron did, then you sell that setup to "upgrade" to a t-4 style in order to better match a larger turbo with the larger sticks. You're not limited to one size. Hell you can many different options with the same turbo by using different exhaust housings. It doesn't make a hoot if its a journal bearing or a ball bearing. A properly sized journal bearing turbo will last just as well as a 38r AND have much less bp. A ball bearing t-4 turbo is just icing on the cake. Back pressure is the enemy no matter what turbo option.

So a clapped out 38r set you back $2100 ish up front. You do your motor no favors when its there. Sell it for $1300ish. Now you have $800 to put towards an "upgraded" setup. With the cheapest kit out there and a properly sized journal bearing turbo you're looking at $2500ish (guessing on #s here). Put your $800 towards it and still pay $1700 out of pocket. OR... skip set 1 with the clapped out 38r for $2100 and go t-4 for $400 more. Like Ron said, do it right the 1st time!!!

The s366 argument going on here is a mute point. Chase admitted he misspoke about it specifically and was meaning the mounting system with his comments. But hey, if someone decides to go t-4 before going bigger injectors, then an s366 might be the ticket. Go bigger sticks, upgrade to larger turbo. It's a no brainer. Let it go.

You are all making the same point, just in different ways. There shouldn't be a comparison between the 38r and a specific journal bearing turbo. The comparison SHOULD be about mounting options - which leads to a wide array of turbo options, and back pressure. The ball bearing 38r lacks in all of those categories. It's a great option for the "over the counter" type just like Banks, Edge, Bully Dog, etc. How many of us still use those company's kits and "end all" products???

Facts are facts, JACK!!

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Don't speak of **** you don't know anything about.

The 38R is a good little turbo, however just because it runs a BB cartridge does not mean its the cats meow.

Better then 90% of the high HP guys out there are NOT running a BB charger...

Shhh little man

No, but for a stage 1 setup its a good option. If you Dont want to go higher. I agree t4 is the way to go if you want more power later. And a higher HP setup with a gtx4294 is pretty nice.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Yea, trying to clear up someones claim that an s366 is better, more reliable, than a 38r is akin to a monkey ***king a football.

You know there are people looking at this who might actually believe that and go buy a s366 because "they're better than 38rs" and for only 700 bucks!

Not sure how this ****-storm came to be. I was just trying to clarify what superduty was saying about 366's having a place in certain applications, and the next thing i know it's turned into an argument over which turbo will outperform the other...which is really no argument at all

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Bump this up for some input.

Looking to ditch my 38r for something a little quieter. What's going to spool good for towing with 238/100? Was eyeballing a KT kit or Irate's. any thoughts or recommendations ?

mattman347

Reaction score
We sell Irates kit, and it is great quality and fits nice. I would recommend an S468 with a tighter turbine (1.0). I believe it makes for a nice spooling large frame turbo that is both durable and has room to grow if you want to go larger injectors in the future.

thuglike

Reaction score
Bump this up for some input.

Looking to ditch my 38r for something a little quieter. What's going to spool good for towing with 238/100? Was eyeballing a KT kit or Irate's. any thoughts or recommendations ?

We fabricate every inch of our kit in house. Made by us, sold by us.
We have a COMPLETE turbo kit with a S468 or S366. You can have the piping coated or uncoated. You can choose pieces of our kit to suit your needs. Since we have the capabilities, we can / will make a custom set-up for you if you so desired.
We have OBS and SD kit's in stock ready to go.

Attachments

• 7.3-turbo.jpg
    7.3-turbo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Here is our S468 kit. We have them in stock as well as Matt @ Full Force who posted up earlier.

We have several customers running this setup with hybrid injectors and they do very well as an all around turbo that spools well yet flows enough air to make use of the fuel from the injectors and not just blow smoke like others.

That setup is running 350/200's from Full Force with our original design T4 S468FMW Turbo kit. The 468 is an excellent turbo for 200% nozzle injectors. With proper tuning and setup it is capable of having an all around setup that can make 600+ horse power. While still being well mannered on the street and capable of towing as well.

CD20-4FDB-89CF-EA8B75A6080C-10214-0000021D5D889B3F.jpg

-2CF6-4471-8E89-C80F7E292AF9-2352-0000026897C8714E.jpg

01B6-4143-9997-D8A55AD03AF2-10214-00000220DAE977E2.jpg

Last edited:

Black 02

Reaction score
Here is our S468 kit. We have them in stock as well as Matt @ Full Force who posted up earlier.

We have several customers running this setup with hybrid injectors and they do very well as an all around turbo that spools well yet flows enough air to make use of the fuel from the injectors and not just blow smoke like others.

That setup is running 350/200's from Full Force with our original design T4 S468FMW Turbo kit. The 468 is an excellent turbo for 200% nozzle injectors. With proper tuning and setup it is capable of having an all around setup that can make 600+ horse power. While still being well mannered on the street and capable of towing as well.

CD20-4FDB-89CF-EA8B75A6080C-10214-0000021D5D889B3F.jpg

-2CF6-4471-8E89-C80F7E292AF9-2352-0000026897C8714E.jpg

01B6-4143-9997-D8A55AD03AF2-10214-00000220DAE977E2.jpg

:redspotdance:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
We fabricate every inch of our kit in house. Made by us, sold by us.
We have a COMPLETE turbo kit with a S468 or S366. You can have the piping coated or uncoated. You can choose pieces of our kit to suit your needs. Since we have the capabilities, we can / will make a custom set-up for you if you so desired.
We have OBS and SD kit's in stock ready to go.

Looks like a nice kit!!

CSIPSD

Reaction score

What does "Capable" of towing mean?

How does the 468 compare to a 66mm modded H2e (knowing Pius's distaste for the H2e...)

Latest posts

Members online