Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

jaybuller

Reaction score
going to a single shot gets rid of the preheat shot... ask a stock OBS owner how bad their truck smokes in cold weather.....

I'm not taking about a little wisp of smoke. My stock 96 obs smoked very very minimal that did not bother me. What I'm talking about now is the smoke fills up my 2 car garage both doors open so thick you can't see across the room. And right now temps are mid 20s and it literally will knock you out if you don't immediately put it in reverse and get the ass end out of the garage so it smokes out the neighborhood instead of concentrated in the garage.

Jason

Reaction score
I wonder if these tuning practices from the pickups, that these guys are using could be carried over to big trucks as well? I mean, it could potentially be a very expensive trial by error situation, but for what it costs to have an ecm programmed with a good file, and not Cat's latest and greatest low nox files..I think it could be a great middle of the road option. I know there are a couple of guys who do it already.

I work for one of the biggest LTL freight companies in the world, but on weekends, or days off, I run a buddy of mines '06 379 Pete hauling cattle. Truck has a PDI tuned acert cat, and it makes great power, it's either set at 725, or 750, can't remember. It runs extremely cool egt's, and burns pretty clean, but if you catch it out of boost, it smokes bad enough to completely black out a very well lit cattle trailer at night. I think the ability to tune on a dyno, with various load situations, could eliminate all driveability issues, have them burning very clean, and efficiently.

Just a thought sent from the throne as I scan this topic.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wonder if these tuning practices from the pickups, that these guys are using could be carried over to big trucks as well? I mean, it could potentially be a very expensive trial by error situation, but for what it costs to have an ecm programmed with a good file, and not Cat's latest and greatest low nox files..I think it could be a great middle of the road option. I know there are a couple of guys who do it already.

I work for one of the biggest LTL freight companies in the world, but on weekends, or days off, I run a buddy of mines '06 379 Pete hauling cattle. Truck has a PDI tuned acert cat, and it makes great power, it's either set at 725, or 750, can't remember. It runs extremely cool egt's, and burns pretty clean, but if you catch it out of boost, it smokes bad enough to completely black out a very well lit cattle trailer at night. I think the ability to tune on a dyno, with various load situations, could eliminate all driveability issues, have them burning very clean, and efficiently.

Just a thought sent from the throne as I scan this topic.

Thats funny, most of the 3400 series cats we tear down are melted by those setups. Not enough air and waaaay too much injector duration. C15s and that company dont get along around here. We rebuild them and use marine guts and custom cams. Then put
bigger, properly sized turbos on them. And of course head work. But lately people are showing up for 1khp builds on cats.

And our guy says the tuning he uses is akin to running stock calibrations and letting the built motor create the power.

Jason

Reaction score
In the 700-725 range, the factory compounds are sufficient..not ideal, but sufficient. Fast spool, damn near instant actually, and 750-800° egt's on a hard pull. Long pull, they will creep up closer to 850-900. I know Pittsburgh Piwer that runs the power boxes has a lot of issues with the timing, building lots of heat, un-usable power, and shtting motors. What I meant by under the turbo, is like...if you are empty, and stab it to pass a car or something, it'll smoke thick and heavy for about 2-3 seconds..but by the time that smoke makes it up, and out of 8" stacks that are 13'8" tall, it's a decent amount. Rolling hills loaded or empty, you really don't get any smoke out at all.

Idally, and I am hoping soon, that he converts to a single turbo. Cams on acert motors are hit and miss also. A lot of guys have used the marine code injectprs, cam, etc on e-models, and had good luck. I know a guy, who, like a dodge dickbag, used a 1000hp cam, 800hp injectors, whatever turbo Bully Dog sells, with a tuned ecm, stacked with a pittsburgh power box, and can't understand why it's a dog, and he can't keep it together.

Tom S

Reaction score
going to a single shot gets rid of the preheat shot... ask a stock OBS owner how bad their truck smokes in cold weather.....

Add some altitude and it does not take all that cold of weather to burn the eyes.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
In the 700-725 range, the factory compounds are sufficient..not ideal, but sufficient. Fast spool, damn near instant actually, and 750-800° egt's on a hard pull. Long pull, they will creep up closer to 850-900. I know Pittsburgh Piwer that runs the power boxes has a lot of issues with the timing, building lots of heat, un-usable power, and shtting motors. What I meant by under the turbo, is like...if you are empty, and stab it to pass a car or something, it'll smoke thick and heavy for about 2-3 seconds..but by the time that smoke makes it up, and out of 8" stacks that are 13'8" tall, it's a decent amount. Rolling hills loaded or empty, you really don't get any smoke out at all.

Idally, and I am hoping soon, that he converts to a single turbo. Cams on acert motors are hit and miss also. A lot of guys have used the marine code injectprs, cam, etc on e-models, and had good luck. I know a guy, who, like a dodge dickbag, used a 1000hp cam, 800hp injectors, whatever turbo Bully Dog sells, with a tuned ecm, stacked with a pittsburgh power box, and can't understand why it's a dog, and he can't keep it together.

Go look on CompD. Tons of very knowledgable guys would disagree, and hate pdi for numerous reasons. From what I've read it sounds like factory acert compounds are good for 1000hp. So why go to a single and lose drivability? I've driven 750hp C15's, and I couldn't make them smoke if I was trying. So that tells me it's in the tuning

TyCorr

Reaction score
Go look on CompD. Tons of very knowledgable guys would disagree, and hate pdi for numerous reasons. From what I've read it sounds like factory acert compounds are good for 1000hp. So why go to a single and lose drivability? I've driven 750hp C15's, and I couldn't make them smoke if I was trying. So that tells me it's in the tuning

Their tuning is edge quality and their turbos are undersized by two models usually. Im not the worlds smartest man but in the limited amount of time ive helped around the shop, a full build using marine gutsand parts and a cam along with headwork and a properly sized turbo or compounds will get you farther, safer and much cooler with relatively tame tuning.

James hrovat is running a 1k hp build the guys did last winter. It'll make sin of rubber at near 100mph and its ran cold as stone over the road for 40k miles now. Im a firm believer in doing it that way from what ive seen.

The best part is how that truck shakes the ground

Jason

Reaction score
Also has 2 pdi tuned isx cummins that put over 700 at the ground, and are 100% smokeless. My post isn't about pdi is badass, everyone else sucks. I used to read a lot of Kurt Murray's (goes by Mr. HANEY, and a couple of other names) tuning, and part selection threads on a class 8 forum that he used to frequent a lot 10+ years ago. When he was making 1000+ at the tires with a c16 cat, using all cat parts, and turbos he was speccing.

My point in my comments was..Kurt, Robbie, and a few other guys tune Cat ecm's, with excellent results, a pdi tune is $~2500, the principles have to be the same in the diesels in pickups, and in class 8 trucks. Why are there not more guys like Swamps, Bean, etc who have access to everything, cornering a very popular market, with a more affordable, adjustable tuning platform for this market? I know this is a derail, but you would think some of these guys who self tune, and have larger equipment have sat scratching their heads thinking "hrmmmm". By the way...over a million miles, and 500+k on the pdi isx trucks so far with no issues yet. They are running the manifolds, nozzle ring turbos, as well.

Charles

Reaction score
I can't believe not one single solitary soul has posted even a one file...

The people trying to make money don't have sh*t anyway, else this thread wouldn't exist, and the people driving around running 200 to 400% nozzles with good files everyday aren't posting.

Huh.

I guess I'll just post files as I go along and be the only one.

Pretty disappointing.

N2GN2

Reaction score
Charles,

There are a few of us that are in the process of ordering Minotaur. Will we be able to contribute, probably not. We will help you roll the ball though. With that said...

Minotaur is ordered
200% nozzles are ordered

I will be playing with the stock Excursion first. I should probably throw a billet wheel in the turbo.

cleatus12r

Reaction score

The people trying to make money don't have sh*t anyway, else this thread wouldn't exist, and the people driving around running 200 to 400% nozzles with good files everyday aren't posting.

Huh.

Pretty disappointing.

You can't say that you're surprised.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
Does anyone know if an excursion pcm is the same as truck pcm? MQJ0 is what I found and not sure if it'll work in place of a PTM1?

bluedge8

Reaction score

Huh.

Pretty disappointing.
Well, I for one don't have 200's, or aftermarket inj"s, and I've never tuned before, so I was just trying to catch up over break on reading this thread. I want to start to figure out tuning but I am literally starting at the beginning. I think that alot of people in here are in about the same boat.

Countrycar

Reaction score
This right there. I do have 300/200, but I don't know how to tune. I leave all my tuning to Matt because he's done it so well for me for so many years. I work in Oilfield Pipeline side of things as a Supervisor, this literally takes up all of my time. I appreciate what your doing here Charles, I've learned quite a but as I've read this entire thread. I will eventually dive deeper in to this info, but for know I'll sit back and continue to read, research in my spare time and learn from you guys. Thank you to the guys that have come here and contributed your time to educate us on this topic of Tuning.
Carlos Briceno

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its going to take time. I understand his frustration but between the holidays, ordering another vehicle in 2015, and mulitiple factors of causation, my tuning is low on the list for now. My truck is in a barn with the insides tore out. Needs another built trans in order to be run in any type of higher pw tunes.

But it is a must do.

Latest posts

Members online