Tuning school

ken6881

Reaction score
sniper
both are based of the same base software so a lot carries between the two but bill has much better definitions and many more parameters to adjust. Basically i screwed up and bought the wrong thing without doing enough research.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
me too and it cost me out the teeth, but you can send me your files and ill take a look at em if you want

2000wa250

Reaction score
The hardest thing for me with tuning was getting used to reading which direction throttle goes. You have to remember that as you get into the throttle more everything raises (normally, so for the sake of simplicity i like to assume this). It took me awhile to realize that a wot runs from one corner DIAGONALLY to the opposite upper corner, or in your case upper right corner to lower right corner. Looking at that I believe I see dc% increasing with the exception of the starting column...but I might be reading it wrong since I'm used to minotaur and since I've been installing valve springs all day

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Shaw

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have never been able to figure out what exactly "regulator flow" map changes. I have found messing with it makes the ICP hard to control when cold. I have since stopped messing with it and left it stock.

ken6881

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck changing max icp dc in the scaler's to something higher than 65%

ken6881

Reaction score
turns out my pulse width table was the culprit. For some reason it was adjusted above the 12mm3 and low icp. This part of the table was causing the smoke at start up. my thoughts are when it first starts icp is very low and its commanding a higher mm3 and because the pulse width was increased thus adding excessive fuel and ultimately black smoke.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread for a point of discussion.

After many months, I finally cracked open my tunes to make some adjustments. Overall the changes resulted in a completely smooth idle, better linear pedal feel, and a bit less ICP ramp up which cured some of the cruising low RPM chop that I would get from time to time. Most of the re-work was done in the PW map, as well as a bit with the ICP map. PW map is more linear than before, and ICP doesn't ramp up quite as quickly at part-throttle.

However, something odd happened as a result. Even though the idle is perfectly smooth with no chop, I can get a slight glance of a haze that wasn't there before. What's strange is that the PW at idle with the adjustments is actually lower than before (by about .2 ms). I've tried different increments in ICP at idle to see if there was any change, and other than an almost indistinctable difference in tone, nothing changed regarding the haze.

I've posted the screen shots of my tunes below. For reference, this is happening on a fully warm engine. In addition to the ICP table below, I have also tried ICP at idle ranging from 475 psi (which is what is in the table), all the way down to 425 psi. If I go any lower or higher, it starts to chop a bit.

Pulsewidth (copied to PMT1 for correct numbers, re-scaled for detail)
pulsewidth.png

pulsewidthnumbers.png

ICP
ICP.png

ICPnumbers.png

SOI sea-level
sealevelSOI.png

sealevelSOInumbers.png

SOI altitude
altitudeSOI.png

altitudeSOInumbers.png

SOI delay
SOIdelay.png

SOIdelaynumbers.png

So that's where I'm at right now. As I said, it runs and drives perfect. Only issue is a slight haze at idle, and you have to be in the right light to even see it. If I can find a way to clear that up, my truck will be tuned exactly as I want it.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Hybrids? you need at least 500 PSI at idle IMO.

Yep, hybrids.

Problem is that when I raise ICP like that, the idle gets quirky. I've bumped the idle up to 700 rpm, and lowering the ICP is the only way to smooth it out that I have found. If I lower RPM, it gets even worse.

I've tried playing around with the PW map too in order to drop and raise PW. Where it is now is the middle point where it doesn't start idling rough, and it's not rolling excessive haze.

So that's where I am right now. I wish I could get the emulator to work, but I've never been able to get it to connect on my computer. Probably having a MAC running Windows through Fusion is the reason why.

Any suggestions on what I should tweak to help it idle smooth with ICP above 500?

ken6881

Reaction score
Just a thought but would a couple degrees of timing at idle help clear up the haze without raising icp.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Think you have the issue figured out so I can send you this chip again?

Yeah, I got with Kevin and messed around with his truck. It was the MFD table when I transferred it over from VDH5 to PMT1. So on his tunes I just kept the PMT1 MFD, and smoothed it out a bit to match what I did with the VDH5 tunes. Worked great in his truck.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Just a thought but would a couple degrees of timing at idle help clear up the haze without raising icp.

I dunno. I could try it. I haven't tried it with this set of tunes, but rather with a previous set using a different PW map.

I guess what really threw me for a loop was the lower PW (by .2 ms), higher ICP (by 50 psi), and ending up with haze. Then dropping the ICP back down to what I had it before, while keeping the lower PW, still had the same haze :wtf:

ken6881

Reaction score
Some one correct me but if you lower icp and keep pulse width the same you get less fuel thus it should have at min changed the idle rpm.

I think adding 2 degrees of timing in your idle area is worth a shot that should help make for a cleaner combustion.

I know on a lly duramax with larger injectors i tuned this weekend I had to raise the fuel pressure at idle to clear up a light haze. Which is like raising icp so yeah getting a haze when adding icp doesn't seem normal.

Are you data logging?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yeah, I got with Kevin and messed around with his truck. It was the MFD table when I transferred it over from VDH5 to PMT1. So on his tunes I just kept the PMT1 MFD, and smoothed it out a bit to match what I did with the VDH5 tunes. Worked great in his truck.

Chips will be in the mail tomorrow!!!

Thanks buddy!

Gearhead

Reaction score
wait... why is the injection delay table set to 1 in the region it is idling right now?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.