Turbo for those that tow

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I know there is all the talk around here about the big VGT's and bigger non-vgt's that people are calling "streetable", but what would someone recommend for someone that needs to use the truck for towing, pulling grades, and using the truck for more than a toy (nothing wrong with that, I wish I could do that). I don't tow everyday, but I do have to tow, and I need my truck to do so...

I know compounds would be the way to go, but that just isn't really in the cards right now. If one were to try some of the new intakes and up-pipe/manifold kits (MPD T-4), would that allow the use of a larger turbo that would still allow for goo towing manners?

Injectors would be a fairly mild 175, tuned back for towing of course.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
how heavy? a 62, 63, or 64 will be just fine towing with divided up pipes

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Towing 13k, give or take...

Have there been proven results with the divided up pipes? Exhaust side being equal, how much slower will a 64 spool over a 62, if at all?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
13k is doable with a 64mm. The 62 will spool faster obviously due to its smaller size. The 68mm turbine wheel is real nice, its lighter and flows nicely. And yes its already been proven by mpd, they're spooling a 66/74/91 no problems with big fuel on the street. It helps significantly.

Ill let you know soon how a 63/68/91 with divided up pipes spools.

Twan

Reaction score
After towing with my powermax and street tune, I'm very happy with it, egts stayed nice a cool, very little lag. Running 82 mph at 18700 GVW, egts stayed under 1400* was mostly running 900-1100. Tow tune was 1100-1200 and would hit 1450*. It likes fuel I'm learning.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Don't let anyone convince you to use a 64. A 62 will will be your best bet. A 62/65/70 with divided uppipes. You DON'T want a 64/71/76 or a 64/68/.76. They are to big for what you do with your truck. You will very quickly hate your truck if you go bigger. Guys around around here don't tow 10k plus up hills everyday.

strokin6L

Reaction score
like redneck said....you do not want a 64mm for towing that weight. a 62mm will be the best bet if you decide to go non vgt.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Thanks Shawn, you are just the person I was hoping would jump in here! With the 65 wheel is there ever an issue with high drive pressures?

With something like MPD manifold/up-pipe kit, they are offered as T-4 flange. If I am not mistaken, I can't get a 62/65/70 with a T-4 correct? There was talk that trying to cram divided pipes into a divided T-3 flange was tough. How successful have people been trying to make a true divided up pipe with a T-3 flange?

Also, Shawn, the 62/65/70 is what you ran as part of your tow compounds right? If the day comes where compounds are an option, I would certainly like to have something that will work with it!

strokin6L

Reaction score
The smallest T4 housings for the S300 is .91 t4 divided. .88 t4 open that Matt at Cutting Edge Diesel has mentioned. Those T4 housing are out of the question for that 62 charger if you plan on towing or doing anything.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
MPD manifolds and T3 divided uppipes will work perfect with a 62/65/70. There is no back pressure issue with the 65 turbine wheel when matched with the 62 compressor. Everyone in the ford world is compensating with big turbos to make power. A 03-07 dodge 5.9CR makes 600hp on fuel with that lil turbo. Get the .70ar divided exhaust housing with internal gates. Have them make the internal gates over sized. And set the gate to open at 38psi. You'll make 40psi boost and you'll be happy with the truck. My dually tows all the time, either has a 34ft fifth wheel enclosed or a 30ft flat deck behind her a$$ the best all round heavy towing and play turbo I found is that 62. Everyone is open to there own opinion thou.

Also BD offers a T3-T4 flange adaptor. Its on there website if MPD only builds a T4

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Shawn,

Does your tow pig still run just the 62 or compounds? Would you think 175's would be ok for towing if fuel is pulled?

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
yeah 175's with 50-75 over nozzles with custom tunning, i got twins on the tow pig a 62 and a 471

the 480's goin back on for a week so i can do some dyno testing

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Sorry but ill disagree on the 64 not being able to tow. A 64/68 with a t3 .70 with custom up pipes you will have no problems. There are a few of people running around towing 10k with a 64 and 190's

Shawn (06f250powerstroke) runs a 64/71/76 with 190s and tows mini excavators around.

I'm a firm believer in playing it safe so you may want to stick to a 62.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
How smokey and hot though? Any vids of the truck?

I know there are a lot of people out there that have different ideas on what it means to be able to tow (or definition of streetable for that matter). When I am towing a camper or large flatbed, I want to focus on the road and the trailer and not have to stay pinned to my gauges watching temps and whatnot...

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Sorry but ill disagree on the 64 not being able to tow. A 64/68 with a t3 .70 with custom up pipes you will have no problems. There are a few of people running around towing 10k with a 64 and 190's

Shawn (06f250powerstroke) runs a 64/71/76 with 190s and tows mini excavators around.

yep and MPD promnised us video of that along time ago. i do think we have two different opinions when it comes to what you can get away with towing and what actually spools and tows well,not saying you cant tow with a 64, what i'm saying is i hate people that go to big and black out 4 lanes of interstate while towing when they get stuck behind someone slow down to where there at 1800rpm and they black the place out till they hit 2-2200rpm and then clear up and take out like a rocket ship, pizzeturd if you did as much towing as what he's talking about you'd understand

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score

yep and MPD promnised us video of that along time ago. i do think we have two different opinions when it comes to what you can get away with towing and what actually spools and tows well,not saying you cant tow with a 64, what i'm saying is i hate people that go to big and black out 4 lanes of interstate while towing when they get stuck behind someone slow down to where there at 1800rpm and they black the place out till they hit 2-2200rpm and then clear up and take out like a rocket ship, pizzaturd if you did as much towing as what he's talking about you'd understand

windrunner408

Reaction score
I have to say that to me this makes complete sense. For me I might be able to get away with a 64 and tow 12k with a tow tune because I only tow once in a blue moon (i.e. less than once a year and even when I do, I have yet to actually tow 12k. The highest amount I have ever towed was like 11k) so I would only need the truck to be able to tow as long as I drove very smart with the load and in the right conditions and it would no doubt suck doing it but then once I unhooked, I would have a wicked street monster. Whereas the OP tows quite frequently and would hate his truck if behaved as mentioned above. JMO.

06f250powerstroke

Reaction score
as i told everyone that asked me about towing, i have no problems towing my john deere 35d excavator on a 22ft float with my set up, can it get hot when the TC locks YES but my truck is still my work/daily driver. I recently bought a set of MDP manifolds and uppipes along with a bullseye 64/68/83 T4 cast wheel and i plan to tow everything i have been

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.