Turbo for those that tow

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Suck on those nuts shawn... thanks for posting bud.

Sorry but just because you cant get a 64 to work right doesnt mean other cant.

I know what im doing and ill prove your wrong, just need some free time and some money

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
I guess I dont know how much harder it would be to spool a slightly larger compressor wheel with roughly the same turbine wheel.

06f250powerstroke, at what rpm do you start to see boost build (the turbo might not be fully lit but boost does exist)??

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Well that is my situation too. I have 35's so I am already loaded with a bit of lag there...

Obviously I would love to have something that holds 5lbs of boost at 1300 like the stocker does, but I don't know how realistic that is with a non-VGT. I did run a 62/71/55 (yes, a .55a/r housing) that had an external 50mm gate that held 3 lbs of boost cruising at 1300rpm and shot up from there. Cruising at 75 would sit at around 10lbs. Sadly, that was some testing I was doing and the testing failed. I blew through 2 of them in 1000 miles. The tiny housing put WAY too much stress on the journal bearings...never had a chance to tow with it, but I'm betting it would have done great if it could have held together.

redracer62

Reaction score
Well that is my situation too. I have 35's so I am already loaded with a bit of lag there...

Obviously I would love to have something that holds 5lbs of boost at 1300 like the stocker does, but I don't know how realistic that is with a non-VGT. I did run a 62/71/55 (yes, a .55a/r housing) that had an external 50mm gate that held 3 lbs of boost cruising at 1300rpm and shot up from there. Cruising at 75 would sit at around 10lbs. Sadly, that was some testing I was doing and the testing failed. I blew through 2 of them in 1000 miles. The tiny housing put WAY too much stress on the journal bearings...never had a chance to tow with it, but I'm betting it would have done great if it could have held together.
That thing spooled amazinly fast.too bad it didn't last.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Suck on those nuts shawn... thanks for posting bud.

Sorry but just because you cant get a 64 to work right doesnt mean other cant.

I know what im doing and ill prove your wrong, just need some free time and some money

I don't need to suck on any nuts. You do a good enough job for everyone here
:hammer:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Morgan is running a 4088r with divided up pipes should be done next week. 3788 is going to need a gate

windrunner408

Reaction score
Ok got ya Greg. Well I dont want to run a gate but do you think a 77mm turbine with a .85 housing is going to be a dog to spool?? I am sure that response will no doubt not be as fast as a 71/.70 is even though it has ball bearings but once it is lit though, it will probably be a monster.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
thats the diameter/inducer for the turbine... its got a 68mm turbine wheel exducer...

the gt4088r is a 63.5/68/.85 divided and its ball bearing. Its going to spool super fast with divided up pipes. Its also going to have 03 whistle.. infamous garrett 10 blade turbine.

windrunner408

Reaction score
So Greg, do you think it will spool just as fast if not faster than a 71/.70 journal bearing turbo??

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
in theory it should spool much faster, there have been a few people running them in the past. We will see next week i guess.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
in theory it should spool much faster, there have been a few people running them in the past. We will see next week i guess.

We tried a 4088r on a 6.0L with a .68 non-divided housing and it was a total dog. Imo the turbine is just too large. I know that Truck Source tried some too, I believe they weren't impressed either but I may be wrong. I would personally do a 3788 if you are thinking garrett. Perhaps you could get the internally wastegated housing from the Dodge kit?

I agree with Shawn though, stick with a 62 or smaller for towing and non-vgt.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We tried a 4088r on a 6.0L with a .68 non-divided housing and it was a total dog. Imo the turbine is just too large. I know that Truck Source tried some too, I believe they weren't impressed either but I may be wrong. I would personally do a 3788 if you are thinking garrett. Perhaps you could get the internally wastegated housing from the Dodge kit?

I agree with Shawn though, stick with a 62 or smaller for towing and non-vgt.

See now thats very interesting, it has 77mm inducer on the turbine exducer is 68mm... I dont see how it is too large being Borg Warners 68mm turbine wheel has a 76mm inducer and it spools just fine, and the garret is ball bearing.

Latest posts

Members online