Turbo Swap S365 to S367

jcain

Reaction score
Every turbo has a compressor map that details it's CFM (lb/min) per it's design.

When the boost gauge is showing 30psi, that's a measure of pressure (restriction) at the intake.

CFM is the real winner though (the measure of volumetric flow) when it comes to comparing turbo's on the same engine at the same boost (psi, pressure). A larger turbo flows more CFM at the exact same pressure because it's a better compressor, by efficiency.
By being able to do the same amount of work with less introduction of heat, it has essentially made a denser charge and flows more CFM at the exact same pressure (boost,psi). It has also done this with less back pressure on the shaft and once again free'd up more power.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Every turbo has a compressor map that details it's CFM (lb/min) per it's design.

When the boost gauge is showing 30psi, that's a measure of pressure (restriction) at the intake.

CFM is the real winner though (the measure of volumetric flow) when it comes to comparing turbo's on the same engine at the same boost (psi, pressure). A larger turbo flows more CFM at the exact same pressure because it's a better compressor, by efficiency.
By being able to do the same amount of work with less introduction of heat, it has essentially made a denser charge and flows more CFM at the exact same pressure (boost,psi). It has also done this with less back pressure on the shaft and once again free'd up more power.

I like it!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im thinking that cat is going along the lines that the heads, even though they flow a lot of air, will only allow so much no matter the turbo. but what has been said proves that its still flowing more air with less bp thus freeing up a lil more hp...

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Jcain.... here my point. I agree with what your saying however what I'm not agreeing with (don't take this as a hate argument please) is that the AE has hardly changed and the mass index or volumetric weight by cfm. Is relatively the exact same. Flowing more vs heat vs AE vs restriction measured in PSI-- the engine is still consuming the exact same amount of air from one turbo to another at 30psi. Very very small change in his turbine wheel ratio.

Now with all that jibberish being said... I do follow what your saying and it's possible I may need to go to storage and pull my turbine compression books back out. I may be making this more complicated than needed but I'm pretty sure that a turbine jet engine study will do that to my brain. I am using that knowledge with a Ci engine. But it's the exact same. And the exact same we calculate rated flow on a natural gas pipeline. Pressure ratios volume drops temperatures. Ect ect.

So to put this simple or even asking a simple question.

Your telling me that the change in efficiency from the first turbo Dan was running to the second is packing more pounds per square foot of density and has nothing to do with the fact he freed up back pressure post cylinder?

My humble opinion is to gate the smaller turbo while keeping it within the acceptable map. The (AE) is relatively the same on most modern turbochargers.

This is why the newest 15 model turbo from ford is able to go up to and beyond 600hp.. (GATED).

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to be a hater... I truly love it when I see guys doing some form of real life testing with factual numbers not just "it feels good" or watch this video of my mph gage.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'll take it.

However. Line pack is still line pack. Hot or cold. You would need a hug intake air temperature swing to be that much more efficient a loss of 5 psi. This is a direct result in loss of back pressure on the exhaust manifold. He's no longer leaving 55 psi in the crown of the piston. He's only leaving (he didn't say, but less)

It's the same thermal equation we use on the pipeline to determine line pack at our current psi of 1200. Soil to pipe temp readings make a difference in it. Cooler gas more pack.

But hey... if he say it's more efficient and flows more I'll just go with it. He's the one doing the testing. Just throwing some food for thought out there.

At least he is testing the differences other than most companies that just throw a turbo on the market with no testing just youtube videos and a post or two that says it pulled my gooseneck good!!

I'll take it

dseitler

Reaction score
FYI- If your Autostart will not work and will beep only one time and not start... Before you spend hours with the the IDS trying to diagnose Format your 2gig card and download the latest H&S update ( has nothing to do with it) Make a new Custom File and drag your files over into the new Custom file and re-install your Trans tune. You will have to re-install Engine file also. Never get those hours back! FML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dseitler

Reaction score
b72e194d5699931d8fe24d45b1e52813.jpg

dseitler

Reaction score
4e13d6cffcbcf28c22f79b60f78dc175.jpg

06d6c14ea931f3407f547db845f7ec87.jpg

Finishing up on the install of the New MPD pipe kit. This is the second kit that was going on my truck. My first kit I had last week that I was going to put on was sold with the 70mm Turbo I just took off.

dseitler

Reaction score
25400db8ec0db9e624848b04b1553cc4.jpg

00a6725edf5a1b9f152ac485aa5a8cc2.jpg

Finished with the install of the new kit. Moved a lot of coolant and fuel lines like I always wanted to do. Adjusted the clamps and the intake to a better fit seem to take some pressure of a lot of different lines. Now it's time to get back to testing the 367.

dseitler

Reaction score
We missed the Big Race and Show last night in Immokalee FL. Very disappointed in that but Friday night the gang will be at Test and Tune @ PBIR to run the 367 for the first time. Should have the other 6.7 with my 364.5 X 70mm there along with a few more in our group. Should be a good night. Going to shoot some videos this week of everyday driving with the new kit. Made a few Trans Tune adjustments and it's made a difference I think with the spool difference between the two Turbos. Fun Times. Weather Friday night is to be in the 50's. Can't wait. D

Latest posts

Members online