6.0 common rail project

Wayne

Reaction score
why not just buy the factory chevy duramax fuel cooler. it comes with a mount, fuel lines to accept hoses already on it and a cage around it to deflect rocks.

I'll check into it some more, but the cooler we spec'd out is smaller dimensionally, and still does the job. Built in mount and rock deflector sound nice, but this compact design that bolts right to an existing bracket is also pretty sweet. Thanks guys for the potential revision ideas.

Spectre32

Reaction score
Excellent. the engine is in the exact same location as the 6.0 was. The only thing that might need some massaging is at the base of the L up pipe depending on if he goes with steed speeds. He's planning on them pending dyno results of the newest version, but if they don't do awesome right off, then the ported & ceramic coated 6.0 manifolds with the conversion up pipes should fit, but tight like they did on the original engine.

We will have to run turbo blankets too, to keep the heat away from the 6.4 pcm though, as it's a little too close for comfort otherwise.

That part right there....

Wayne

Reaction score
The pcm will only fit where it is on '05-'07 trucks anyway. For the older trucks I will have to relocate it. With a stock set of turbos, there should be plenty of space to not worry about heat issues on this truck. With the big compounds going on this, all I need is a turbo blanket. If for whatever reason there were still heat issues, the wiring would get heat wrap. It's not that complicated.

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

engine coming together. Won't be needing the mock-up unit any more!

Reaction score
IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

engine coming together. Won't be needing the mock-up unit any more!

Are you using the dial indicator and degree wheel to find top dead center? Are you using this to check piston height?. If so I guess I dont usually see it done that way. I usually use the deck height measuring tool for the block and then subtract the rotating height (1/2 crank stroke + rod center to center + piston compression height = stack height) to figure piston height on a block. The dial indicator will work but it doesn't give you a true reading because of piston rock.

If your using it for something else then disregard the previous statement. I'm just curious.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Are you using the dial indicator and degree wheel to find top dead center? Are you using this to check piston height?. If so I guess I dont usually see it done that way. I usually use the deck height measuring tool for the block and then subtract the rotating height (1/2 crank stroke + rod center to center + piston compression height = stack height) to figure piston height on a block. The dial indicator will work but it doesn't give you a true reading because of piston rock.

If your using it for something else then disregard the previous statement. I'm just curious.

Using it to find TDC on the degree wheel for degreeing the camshaft.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Pretty neat swap, could also be a way for the guys with older trucks that want big power but not have to deal with the emissions issues from deletes.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
That was what I originally thought. I wasn't sure how necessary that was without an adjustable cam gear. Are you just jumping to the next tooth or are you re-indexing the cam in reference to the gear with an offset key?

Depends on what is required. I have jumped a tooth but typically that's way too much. I have a gear that is machined to two additional keyway slots to fine tune as needed. That way I can advance or retard the cam 4 deg or 8 deg.

Wayne

Reaction score
I think the edit ninja needs to sneak in, and delete your last post, JD.:slap: No need to be showing my ugly mug to the world.:doh:

Latest posts

Members online