5.9 cr or 6.7 for conversion?

tylerdillard

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure bean has also. Several have had issues. The problem being is a 6.7 has a larger bore and a powdered rod and make alot more torque at lower rpm and it can cause the rods to wad up causing a nice little window in the side of ur block. I don't know the plans of this guys motor but if I was building one with high hp goals it would have a set of 12 rods in at at least or a good set of R&Rs or carrillo. But what do I know?

tylerdillard

Reaction score
5.9s have already been proven. Look at your high hp pulling motors. My truck, Tyler Witt,Rodd Tarr,Brad Ingram. All run 5.9. I know mine has atleast 100+ runs on it makin over 1000hp and hasn't been touched except for oil changes

Radio

Reaction score
I just read a thread the other day on another site about a guy chuckin a rod on a 6.7. He had twins and nozzles i believe.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Its not a matter of the block cracking as it is about the rods giving out and windowing the block. Like Tyler said. If you are planning on a big #'s build. Ditch the stock rods and run 12v or carrillo's

MINK

Reaction score
12 valve rods are only an issue with the 6.7 crank, swap yo the 5.9 cranks and things seem to be holding. IMO just go billet if you want big power.

me2

Reaction score
For some reason vp/12v rods are not holding up in 6.7 engines. I have bent 3 sets in them now and some of them at hp levels less then what a stock cr rod would hold. Only set that I had that held up good was a set we polished peened and cryoed, those have held up for a couple years until i spun a bearing in one so I replaced it with one we just polished due to time constraints and it bent right away.

I wont put another 12v rod in a 6.7 from now on I am tired of replacing them. I have used some Carrillos and really like them, alot lighter then stock rods and a really nice piece.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 6.7 parts. I think the 6.7s make more power.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94914&page=2

Furthermore, none of this comes into play with street truck power levels.

Last edited:

tylerdillard

Reaction score
Maybe he wants to make more than 700 hp I dunno. I just know what I would do but opinions are like ass holes,everyone has one. I just think yours stinks

me2

Reaction score
There are lots of 6.7s around with stock block and rods making 6-700 HP. I've been watching for failures and they aren't common.

I think the 6.7s build better boost at lower RPMs due to more air flow from more displacement. That allows more fuel at lower RPMs and thus stresses things more.

It wouldn't take much in EFI-Live to keep the fuel rate down at lower rpms. It would be easier on the transmission too.

I'm building a tow pig engine. I'll probably go with a stock fuel system, a single large turbo and tune with EFI Live. I'm shooting for 450HP/900 ftlbs at the flywheel, all day long, which I am sure the 6.7 is more than up for.

The OP asked about a 5.9CR which I am sure is no stronger than a 6.7. 12V is another story, but I wouldn't want to run one in my truck.

tylerdillard

Reaction score
The OP asked about a 5.9CR which I am sure is no stronger than a 6.7. 12V is another story, but I wouldn't want to run one in my truck.[/QUOTE]

This has been my debate the entire time is that a 5.9 CR is stronger being that the 6.7 has a longer stroke,longer stroke equals greater rod angle. More of a rod angle means more stress on rods and rod bolts. Still the 6.7 is making more power at lower rpm causing greater cylinder pressure. U say remove fuel to compensate for less power down low. So I don't see the advantage now. I'm sure at 450hp it'll never be an issue but that might as well be a stock motor. Alot of your guys aren't wanting a 450hp at the crank motor. The OP said something about twins so I would think he had higher hp goals in mind. Yes I'm aware there are several higher hp 6.7s without failure but it's a risk I don't see worth taking. If u do the research it is several rod failures that have happened.

me2

Reaction score
If u do the research it is several rod failures that have happened.
The rod angle isn't a huge deal. Its not like its way different.

At what HP level have these failures occurred ? Are we talking about 500, 700, 900 or 1000 HP ?

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
It is a huge deal depending on the application. 500hp daily driver? Not really. But once you start throwing twins and more fuel at it, it start to become a concern. Mild builds for a CR push upwards of 750-800hp. I would definitively look into aftermarket rods with any twin set up on a 6.7.

Bean

Reaction score
Rod failures are happening at anywhere from 600-1000hp. Yes there are some that are running fine at 800hp without problems but that doesnt mean you can go out and twin one and expect nothing to happen. 600hp and down, would not be scared at all to run a 6.7 there. 600-800, getting into the brink zone could be fine could chuck a rod. 800+ its only a matter of time.

Differance is there are plenty of 1000hp 5.9's on 12v rods that do not break rods. You wont find many 6.7's doing that without billets.

Jason

Reaction score
I'd venture to say Sean is wanting upwards of 600, seeing as his 7.3 makes almost 600 at the tires as it is....

There's nothing wrong with wanting to build a 400-450 hp diesel...not everybody wants to build a 1000hp truck. That's the problem with the diesel community now IMO, if a guy comes in and wants opinions on building a reliable 450hp dd, guys start trying to get him into bigger injectors, a huge ass single...then that single could get a little laggy if you want to tow, so maybe a set of compounds to help spool when towing etc. Some guys just want a little more kick to their dd while being stone stock reliable, and be able to tow to the trucks limits, without ill side effects.

Me2, stop jacking threads, with ideas, and what you plan to do, with your sodomized clapped together builds. Air ride cab, rear suspension etc....good ideas, but not the way you go about doing them, your body lines never lined up in any of your last trucks pics, your cab sat ass up. You want air ride cab, seats, 18 gears, and high hp, buy a ***ing peterbilt to drag your damn trailer around and stop molesting pickup trucks.

Latest posts

Members online