Carli vs Icon 2.5 level kit

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
And to note, I am in no way a suspension engineer. These are just common sense observations from having done several different set up's on the SD platform over the years that I've worked here. Just things that I've either noticed, discovered or experienced how ever you want to look at it.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while. I have a Carli 4.5 backcountry kit that has the bilstein 5160s. The kit has been on for about 2.5 years now and I can definitely tell the ride has been getting rougher and I can hear some noises coming from the shocks going slow over speed bumps. The rear I have OUO traction blocks. I just can't decide what to go with for shocks this time. Sticking with Carli shocks or trying the icon 2.5s with the cdc valve.

I don't believe Carli has the Fox shocks for a 4.5 in lift like I have.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Any time you lift a truck ( with the exception being IFS trucks ) you will either need a adjustable track bar or a track bar drop bracket.

With out it the front axle will be pulled over to the drivers side more than the passenger side, that not only looks goofy but will also cause the truck to drive down the road crooked and prematurely wear the tires out.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Not really, but most adjustable track bars cover lifts from stock height to 7" or so. So if you want to go lower or higher you're not buying various sizes or drop brackets. Plus just looks better than a big bracket hanging down.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
A drop bracket will always be cheaper than a quality adjustable track bar, just leaves you with that amount of drop with no adjustability. Just my personal preference.

Jassman

Reaction score
I have on order a 15 Platinum CC LWB. On my 11 I went with Rancho's and did not know any better but was pleased overall with my 325 60 R20's. Last year I drove a SWB F250 with a Carli springs and I thought they were Icon shocks. Anyways the ride was far superior.

My 1st question is this truck will be used as a daily driver..about 30k per year checking job sites out. Approx 10k of those miles will be used towing heavy long performance boats back and forth to poker runs. Which system is better..Carli or Icon..and what else should I look at thats cost effective. How is the Commuter 2.0 system from Carli vs something that Icon offers.

My 2nd question is what about a 2.5 level system from either with air bags in rear and a thicker Helwig sway bar. Thanks for any help.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Both the carli and Icon kits are going to be great which one is better depends on who you ask. You will not be disappointed with either they make the best kits out there

jcain

Reaction score
I'm content with my setup. Icon 2.5" coils, 4" rear block (1" taller than a stock 250) and Fox 2.0s all around. I prefer to keep my bags at 8-9 psi as it provides the ride i prefer

Jassman

Reaction score
I'm content with my setup. Icon 2.5" coils, 4" rear block (1" taller than a stock 250) and Fox 2.0s all around. I prefer to keep my bags at 8-9 psi as it provides the ride i prefer

Thanks for he info..Im also looking at the 295 Toyo's cause its basically a 35" tire. Is the ride that much smoother not familiar with the Fox shocks vs stock and hows the handling and going over terrible Louisiana hwys. I have Bilstein 5100's on my 12 F150..and they road great the first year and since then the shock is no where as good when new.. just want to make sure I pick the correct stuff for this truck..thanks for the help.

jcain

Reaction score
I had 5100s on my 2011 ecoboost f150, set at 1.5" (3rd ring). They rode pretty good. The Fox 2.0s are leaps and bounds better than the factory shocks. Then I added the 295 toyos and enjoyed the ride improvement over the Michelins. Then I added a 2.5" daystar spacer and absolutely hated driving the truck, man it rode and drove (caster issues ) like crap. So I removed the spacers and went to the 2.5" icon coils and PMF 3-link (to achieve higher than factory castor. I'm thoroughly happy with the setup. Adding traction bars added another level of stability that's hard to articulate.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
if you have the money, the carli kits are second to none. the valving in their shocks are absolutely spot on. with a carli kit you will not be disappointed in ride quality.

icon is very good as well, but everyone i have ever sold to or had ride in a carli kit will say it is a bit softer in ride, which not everyone wants (some people lie a firmer truck like ride)

Jassman

Reaction score
if you have the money, the carli kits are second to none. the valving in their shocks are absolutely spot on. with a carli kit you will not be disappointed in ride quality.

icon is very good as well, but everyone i have ever sold to or had ride in a carli kit will say it is a bit softer in ride, which not everyone wants (some people lie a firmer truck like ride)

I just spoke with Radio over at Carli, he was very helpful. Ill be on the HWY most of the time and towing heavy long boats occasionally. He suggested I go with the 2.0 Commuter set up. I do prefer the 2.5" lift vs the 4.5" for work purposes and I like that stuffed wheel look with some 35" rubber. Just hoping it will be slightly taller than my 11 350 LWB with the Rancho shocks. My only reservation is the truck being so heavy and the set up being too soft. I know the Ranchos didn't last long after 50,000 miles but they were cheap. If the Carli set up is better than the factory in ride..like Radio stated..but mostly handling is my concern around corners..and with a 13-15k load.. Im cool and ready to order. ANY Suggestion and experiences. thx for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 90

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I just spoke with Radio over at Carli, he was very helpful. Ill be on the HWY most of the time and towing heavy long boats occasionally. He suggested I go with the 2.0 Commuter set up. I do prefer the 2.5" lift vs the 4.5" for work purposes and I like that stuffed wheel look with some 35" rubber. Just hoping it will be slightly taller than my 11 350 LWB with the Rancho shocks. My only reservation is the truck being so heavy and the set up being too soft. I know the Ranchos didn't last long after 50,000 miles but they were cheap. If the Carli set up is better than the factory in ride..like Radio stated..but mostly handling is my concern around corners..and with a 13-15k load.. Im cool and ready to order. ANY Suggestion and experiences. thx for the help.

Pm trippleE44 on here, he has a set of the commuter shocks on his setup (although he does not have a full carli kit) he is more than happy with the ride quality and improvement from what he told me.

The time and r&d in Carlis valving is what really shines.

Jassman

Reaction score
Pm trippleE44 on here, he has a set of the commuter shocks on his setup (although he does not have a full carli kit) he is more than happy with the ride quality and improvement from what he told me.

The time and r&d in Carlis valving is what really shines.

thanks..I was told by another member that the springs are softer on the Carli system vs stock but the tuning on the shocks works together to get the best ride and better handling. Radio mentioned the complete kit was the way to go cause the add a leafs with the shocks is what you'll feel the most on smoothing out the ride on the HD trucks.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
thanks..I was told by another member that the springs are softer on the Carli system vs stock but the tuning on the shocks works together to get the best ride and better handling. Radio mentioned the complete kit was the way to go cause the add a leafs with the shocks is what you'll feel the most on smoothing out the ride on the HD trucks.

That is correct! Softer spring rate than icon and stock if I'm not mistaking. Definitely a softer ride and great handling.

But regardless the full kit is the way to go if you can swing it as everything is designed around each other.

Jassman

Reaction score
anyone know who has the best prices on this set up.. Thanks Jeff

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score

4" would be slightly over 2" taller than factory F-250 rear blocks (1 7/8").