Failed intercooler pipe

Jmiller3104

Reaction score
May not be the right place for this but if you haven't replaced the plastic crap pipe coming off the butterfly valve for intercooler you should. Pulling the boat from Port Mansfield, Tx back to San Antonio which is about a 5 hour run. Running about 75 and BOOM. Checked tires, all good. Hit gas peddle, lots of noise and lots of smoke. Pulled over and it had pretty much shattered the from part of the plastic piece that connects to the almuminum part that has the bitterly valve in it. We rigged up duct tape and wire and was able to make 5 psi to get me home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 275

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I need to buy an H&S piece just for piece of mind. I thought I blew mine one day heading home with a load about 6 hrs from home. That would of not been fun.

Jmiller3104

Reaction score
After seeing what it does and with no warning. I would of bought it the day I got the truck.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I got the H&S pipe as one of my first mods just so I never have to make a thread like this.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i tell EVERY customer that calls to consider it. $300 isnt worth being stuck on the side of the road over it. anybody who needs one feel free to pm me , i have a site discount for them.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Is this happening on higher mileage trucks or is it just luck of the draw? I plan or doing this soon but might have to do it sooner. Only have 24k on my truck but it is a 12 so I'm sure if it's heat cycle or higher boost related, I'll be the lucky one on the side of the road cussing!!

Keith

Jmiller3104

Reaction score
I would tell everyone who has a 6.7 to buy one, not consider it. You would think ford would make something to replace that. What was worse is I pulled in a lot next to a ford dealership to half ass fix it.

And yes we caught plenty of fish.

Strangr8 - I have 120k and tow a decent amount, boat mostly weighing 7-9k maybe and I see close to 30 psi with it deleted pulling a hill.... And that's when it happen. It's a crappy feeling being 3 hrs from home on a Sunday with no one open for parts. After this happening to me, I would bite te bullet and do it. It will save u later.

Last edited:

jcain

Reaction score
I grenaded one at 35,000miles, doing nothing at that time. It's not if, it's when (and where). I assure you this, it'll happen at the most inopportune time.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I hear ya, has me worried especially since I'm going to the track next weekend and toting the trailer around. My boat might be 6k with coolers and such (car trailer is 12-13k) but I'm only 5miles from the lake, I'll be in VA and NJ next week so 5-600 miles away counting on a plastic pipe isn't leaving me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

Keith

Jmiller3104

Reaction score
Have a replacement piece with you or go buy the H&S and get it over with. The boost pressure literally shattered/exploded the whole top of the plastic where it connects to the butterfly valve.

Reaction score
These really are a preventative maintenance item. I can't tell you the amount of stories that we get of people blowing the stock pipe and getting stranded.

Just for the sake of information, there is no telling when one might blow. We have seen them on high mileage trucks, low mileage trucks, stock trucks, modded trucks, high boost situations and low boost situations.

If you have a 6.7, it should not even be a debate whether or not to get a replacement now. Do it before it really costs you money or leaves you in a predicament on the side of the road.

trugertha

Reaction score
H&s kit for the win. Have it on my truck. Wicked easy install, awesome instructions and service. Talk to mike at no limit to get yours today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Just to verify Mike, will the emissions present version also work in conjunction with your inter cooler that I plan on doing down the road? That'll be a next year deal for me but I'm definitely going to go with the pipe replacement next month.

Keith

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just to verify Mike, will the emissions present version also work in conjunction with your inter cooler that I plan on doing down the road? That'll be a next year deal for me but I'm definitely going to go with the pipe replacement next month.

Keith

yessir !

Jmiller3104

Reaction score
Ordered mine from mike at no limits on Monday ( good guy to deal with ) and should be here today. No more duct tape and wire for replacement part. Got a friend I will point your direction for one as well.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Just for the sake of information, there is no telling when one might blow. We have seen them on high mileage trucks, low mileage trucks, stock trucks, modded trucks, high boost situations and low boost situations.

WHS had one here that blew. 30,000 miles spartan tuned pulled away to pass a car TC locked hit 25 psi and boom.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
stay tuned next week i'll be having a sale on all h&s motorsports products for substantial discounts.