Interesting Oil Temp finding...

TyCorr

Reaction score
205° doesnt seem necesary at all to me. Every truck being.different i t takes my truck a long time to heat up if im not pulling a trailer in the summer. Long enough.that Ive changed thermostats.thinking mine.was stuck open.

Id have a 192. My previous one was a 185 from international. Ive not.noticed any issues with mileage or cold weather performance. With either temp. I do know that idling my truck in sub 20° weather is.pointless. It'll never heat up. I could probably remove my fan in the winter with zero.issues.

Lang

Reaction score
205° doesnt seem necesary at all to me. Every truck being.different i t takes my truck a long time to heat up if im not pulling a trailer in the summer. Long enough.that Ive changed thermostats.thinking mine.was stuck open.

Id have a 192. My previous one was a 185 from international. Ive not.noticed any issues with mileage or cold weather performance. With either temp. I do know that idling my truck in sub 20° weather is.pointless. It'll never heat up. I could probably remove my fan in the winter with zero.issues.

I thought the 205* was what International uses and Ford put the 192* in it? I read a few threads were the 205* increased mileage etc. I live in South FL so my truck doesn't see cold temps at all. I have 1 here in which I haven't installed, should I not?

alradco

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but what do you use to monitor coolant and oil temps?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but what do you use to monitor coolant and oil temps?

Isspro Performax Gauges...

Very impressed with the 180* stat this weekend. Have some family issues but once I get back I will update further.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Very impressed with the 180* stat this weekend. Have some family issues but once I get back I will update further.

i figured you would like the low stat!

good luck with the family... hope all is well..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
I thought the 205* was what International uses and Ford put the 192* in it? I read a few threads were the 205* increased mileage etc. I live in South FL so my truck doesn't see cold temps at all. I have 1 here in which I haven't installed, should I not?

Ummmm, they probably have a few different ones. The guy, from what I recall, asked me about a few different #s. I highly doubt that a thermostat is going to change fuel mileage to.a degree that you would notice much less change it out because. With 26x,xxx worth of keeping track of fuel mileage I didnt notice anything from stock tstat-the current one.

I personally dont see the point stiiiiiill but id use it or sell it if it was me.

Lang

Reaction score
Ummmm, they probably have a few different ones. The guy, from what I recall, asked me about a few different #s. I highly doubt that a thermostat is going to change fuel mileage to.a degree that you would notice much less change it out because. With 26x,xxx worth of keeping track of fuel mileage I didnt notice anything from stock tstat-the current one.

I personally dont see the point stiiiiiill but id use it or sell it if it was me.

It had something to do with optimal engine temp in which international designed it. I dunno it was what someone said.

Lang

Reaction score

Patiently waiting. Where did you get it from?

TyCorr

Reaction score
It had something to do with optimal engine temp in which international designed it. I dunno it was what someone said.

No, you remember correctly. That is commonly exchanged knowledge that int'l designed the engine and spec'd a slower opening tstat. For emissions(yea right) or simply because they wanted to use that. I would run a 180 if I could just get one locally.

Reaction score
you get peak performance running the 203... even Cat runs a 205 stat in the big trucks.. we have called them because our log truck would always run *210.they said good..its running like designed..don't touch a thing or we will void the warranty... Ford went to a cooler stat for emission reasons...even some cars now a days are running right around *210

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
you get peak performance running the 203... even Cat runs a 205 stat in the big trucks.. we have called them because our log truck would always run *210.they said good..its running like designed..don't touch a thing or we will void the warranty... Ford went to a cooler stat for emission reasons...even some cars now a days are running right around *210

Bingo.
Lower coolant temperature = lower combustion temperature = lower NOx emissions.

Barnhartal

Reaction score
But aren't we adding a whole bunch of combustion temperature with extra fuel from bigger injectors and different tuning? If IH designed it to run at 203 making 200 some horse doesn't it make sense to try and compensate for the extra heat made by the 200+ extra horsepower were asking the engine to make?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Bingo.
Lower coolant temperature = lower combustion temperature = lower NOx emissions.

Oh, so if I run a 180° tstat my coolant will never exceed 180?

So how does 23° fahrenheit of coolant temp(even though it wont be that different @operating temp) change combustion temps? Im interested to hear how the coolant efcects the temperature of the ignition event. I could see cooler water keeping operating temps lower and consequently cooler oil but how is the temperature of ignitec diesel.changed by water outside the cylinder?

Before you repeat yourself, I understand what it was that you had said to me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
But aren't we adding a whole bunch of combustion temperature with extra fuel from bigger injectors and different tuning? If IH designed it to run at 203 making 200 some horse doesn't it make sense to try and compensate for the extra heat made by the 200+ extra horsepower were asking the engine to make?

That and the fact that once that 180 opens the water temp.can exceed 200° still. That and your point about heavier fueling destroy this theory especially when you toss a load on a trailer and work the engine. Even with a 192° tstat, empty, I have to work(flog) the truck to get the stat t open in the summer. Winter, forget it. I start mine, let the romping stop and drive off. Heated leather and im good. It takes a mile or two before the fan clutch.loosens.enough to stop spinning. It still throws good.heat.for some reason though :shrug: always has.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Hence zero change in efficiency/economy/mileage? Three or four people.confirmed that. Not to mention that not every diesel is heui and the oil doesnt get as hot so whats good here isnt necessarily over.there and vice versa.

I suppose my point is be careful what you conclude because this is already getting mis-informative as to.what these tstats do. I can totally see a 180 for a worked truck that tows to keep hpo from boiling the rotella but a 203 is stupid, plain and simple. Unless you like having heat when its cold or something. In the grand scheme? Pissing in the wind.

Barnhartal

Reaction score
A 203 or 180 isn't going to change the time it takes to warm the coolant up in the winter. Will it allow it to get hotter yes but 0 -160 will take the same amount of time regardless of the stat.
Only thing I see a hotter stat doing is allowing the engine oil to get hotter. Wether that affects economy or power who knows.
I figuere I'm already doing that when I work the dog **** out of truck towing 18000 in hills making more power than what the engine was designed for.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
in simple terms, the higher the coolant temp, the hotter the steel in the block, the easier fuel ignites with heat/compression supposedly making the motor more efficient... supposedly....

live life full throttle

Gearhead

Reaction score
in simple terms, the higher the coolant temp, the hotter the steel in the block, the easier fuel ignites with heat/compression supposedly making the motor more efficient... supposedly....

live life full throttle

I will add to that and say that hotter block/coolant temps lead to higher efficiency because you have less heat loss due to less temperature differential between the combustion chamber and the surrounding metal.

Latest posts

Members online