Interesting Oil Temp finding...

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Agree with lincolnlocker. Pressure (3000psi) creates heat. Once your injector releases oil, its extremely hot and there is minimal pressure in the head. In fact, with the CCV hooked to an intake there is probably a vacuum that helps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Think pressure cooker. Holds x pressure, raises boiling point x amount. Plus your not using water. Its mixed with coolant. Coolant raises boiling temp and lowers freezing temp.
My motor does NOT burn any coolant, not even when i drove with 12k hooked up to the back for 1500 miles from reno, nv to wichita ks... If your losing coolant you're leaking somewhere.
Same with oil. Yes CCV does allow some to escape. A very small amount. And I don't know the boiling point for motorcraft 15/40 but I've never had more or less oil after 3000 miles. if you are losing oil, I would look for leaks.

What are you talking about? How in the heck did coolant get dragged into this?

Im not even going to go into that. You are in the wrong zipcode JR.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Think pressure cooker. Holds x pressure, raises boiling point x amount. Plus your not using water. Its mixed with coolant. Coolant raises boiling temp and lowers freezing temp.
My motor does NOT burn any coolant, not even when i drove with 12k hooked up to the back for 1500 miles from reno, nv to wichita ks... If your losing coolant you're leaking somewhere.
Same with oil. Yes CCV does allow some to escape. A very small amount. And I don't know the boiling point for motorcraft 15/40 but I've never had more or less oil after 3000 miles. if you are losing oil, I would look for leaks.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

Lang

Reaction score

Was referring to water in oil, not 50/50 mix of coolant

Lang

Reaction score
So my question still remains... IF under pressure water in the oil boils at higher temp does the motor need to run at higher temps?

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
That's probably why it gets to 220. The pan and area near the ccv are going to be the lowest pressure and most likely will allow for vaporization of water. The stock CCV creates a vacuum when running hard and that may help lower the pressure to allow it to vaporize(and also why the doghouse is more restrictive than a standard breather). I really think with people determining that they need a lower/higher thermostat is based on their experience with THAT particular engine, and what loads/temperatures that engine is used for. No two are exactly the same. These engines dont have an issue with overheating, they're a pita to heat up. That's why the factory installed the ebpv to get it up to temp quicker. The reason International designed it like that is because they knew Ford was going to make you blinder than a bat with no temp guages that are WAF and they wanted as few issues as possible.

I apologize for the above paragraph. I thought you were talking about coolant.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Whitey-get your truck to operating temp, remove the oil fill.cap. Theres water vapor burning out of the oil for ya. There are probably some combustion gasses in that too, as well as the case vent.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
I know, thats what i was saying. That's what comes out the ccv. And the dipstick tube. That's why stock it gets around 220 degrees. Change the CCV to the intake and it will pull more out of the engine. That's all I said.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Uhh not under pressure its not. At 30 psi above atmo its 264°. I hope your running at least 30 psi of oil pressure. If your oils hitting 260° you got issues. IMO that theory ain't worth a ****.
Sorry matt, I do love your tunes though

The pan isn't under pressure....

Gearhead

Reaction score
Water vapor and CO2 are you two main combustion byproducts. Some of it gets by the rings.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Just over 3000 miles in the last 4 days... Drove from Cedar City, Ut to LA, Ca. Air temps were 105-110 and the coolant temp hovered right around 190*-200* with oil temps right about 5* above that. This was of course empty, not pulling but I was very happy.

Pulled the trailer from Bellingham, Washington to Alfalfa, Oregon and back. Still saw some high oil temps on the big passes but they recover quickly.

I am impressed. Joey and I don't see eye to eye on much, but I like this T-stat...

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Just over 3000 miles in the last 4 days... Drove from Cedar City, Ut to LA, Ca. Air temps were 105-110 and the coolant temp hovered right around 190*-200* with oil temps right about 5* above that. This was of course empty, not pulling but I was very happy.

Pulled the trailer from Bellingham, Washington to Alfalfa, Oregon and back. Still saw some high oil temps on the big passes but they recover quickly.

I am impressed. Joey and I don't see eye to eye on much, but I like this T-stat...

Good to hear. Lines up with the limited data I have with mine so far.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Try to turn it by hand, there should be resistance. It shouldnt just freewheel.

Lang

Reaction score
Try to turn it by hand, there should be resistance. It shouldnt just freewheel.

K ill do in am... But is the fan suppose to be turning all the time? I've never heard it "roar" like I've read

TyCorr

Reaction score
yes, it always spins but free spins like ty said... when its kicked on it will sound like a 747 under the hood.

live life full throttle

I meant by hand Jake. You should.be able to turn it and it will spin some, but if it just keeps on going after you flick it, clutch is shot.

To the guy asking about his- my truck has 265k miles on it. Ive heard the fan clutch just lock up and make "the sound" a couple times. It was over 100 deg both times. Radiator is.clean you wont hear it too often. The superduty cooling system is highly effective.

Oh, when its cold outside, winterlike, that whining whooshing sound is the fan being engaged. It.happens right at startup, slungs the oil out and then goes quiet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online