Irate s468 install

bigjake0524

Reaction score
The 467's have a very large race cover on them. I am trying to have him measure the flange to make sure I didn't send out an old height flange. Which would be the cause of the compressor cover hitting the bolt head.

Marty, thanks for posting up some picture of how you've ran your intake plumbing.

And the plenums were rocket science, took the factory one to the machine shop and told them to cut me some flanges with a hole in it to weld a 3" tube to it! Have 8 more sets on the shelf if anybody needs them! They are $225 a set shipped.

Marty

Reaction score
2012-02-03_21-16-48_733.jpg

I've seen a lot of funny things you'd never expect to happen, happen under pressure. You may not even have a problem BUT I for one would never leave that open. I would get a flange head bolt and remove what I had to for clearance and install it. Obviously you can do as you please :D

Excuse my ignorance...but what is a flange bolt?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

inch_size_hex_flange_bolt_420c300.jpg

Which is what you are using now. There is also an m8x1.25 that instead of having a 13mm head like yours, has a 10mm head.

My idea was to use:
head_cap_screw_bss-s.jpg

2000wa250

Reaction score
So Marty the threads are the 8x1.25?

Jake ill work on getting you a measurement today or tomorrow. Can you let me know the different heights? Going to head down to the local exhaust shop today or tomorrow and have them work up a 5" exhaust and possibly see what they can weld up for the intake.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Install looks good Palmer. I had an issue with the fitment of my Donaldson air filter and I found a 45* pipe and it worked.

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

2000wa250

Reaction score
Thanks ken,

I still gotta get everything finalized and everything but im pretty happy with how it turned out. Gonna get it all done then give it a little bit before tearing it all apart again to put in the twin termies. Also, look for some interior mods here soon. Thinking a custom center console with a down firing 10 or 12 possibly a custom fiberglass amp rack and if I can get my hands on some extra door cards and dash bezel some more custom pieces. All the go mods should be done so its time for the show stuff.

jngreen

Reaction score
Naw, I just don't wanna see the guy put effort into installing all these parts and have to tear it down to fix it. Try to save people time and the aggravation with different ideas and solutions to the issue

Oh thats what you were doing, okay. I believe you.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Thanks ken,

I still gotta get everything finalized and everything but im pretty happy with how it turned out. Gonna get it all done then give it a little bit before tearing it all apart again to put in the twin termies. Also, look for some interior mods here soon. Thinking a custom center console with a down firing 10 or 12 possibly a custom fiberglass amp rack and if I can get my hands on some extra door cards and dash bezel some more custom pieces. All the go mods should be done so its time for the show stuff.

Here is a custom enclosure I had made by TC audio.

a6934ee5-dd28-7fa3.jpg

a6934ee5-dd64-cb26.jpg

bigjake0524

Reaction score
So Marty the threads are the 8x1.25?

Jake ill work on getting you a measurement today or tomorrow. Can you let me know the different heights? Going to head down to the local exhaust shop today or tomorrow and have them work up a 5" exhaust and possibly see what they can weld up for the intake.

Yes, they are a 8x1.25 thread. Pry want it to be 30mm long 35 at the longest.

Let me know, I can try and come up with something if you don't have anything local.

Marty

Reaction score
Jake, they're a good bit shorter then 35. I'm thinking 15mm. I will report back tomorrow.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
I think 25's or 30's would work. The flange is about 6.3mm thick. I didn't throw the calipers on a stock one today.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Thanks Marty!

Looks like the average depth is about 20mm, to be safe. The flange of the plenum is ~6mm.

Reaction score
how are we doing on this? i really want a GTX42 but i think its out of my price rang for now... I'm ether going this rout or with the s471...the reading I'm doing is leaning towards the 468..it sounds like it flows a little more air and spools quicker then the 471...i cant seem to find where back psi gets a little high..

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
I believe jake told me it was close to 1:1 at 40PSI above that it begins to get higher. So far I am loving it, but I havent gotten a chance to go open it up and thrash it a bit because I'm still working out the intake and filter set up. I will let you know once I get out and run it hard a bit.

So far though, with a 6 speed it has great spool up, better than my TNBB did even with the 250/200's. Very responsive turbo, and seems to move plenty of air.

Marty

Reaction score
The 468 and 471 should carry the same exh wheel. Doesn't have to but should. Spool will mostly be decided by exhaust housing and tuning.

Go tight on the housing and gate it. 465 will make as much and more then the 38r. All the other ones make exponentially more.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
They do share the same turbine wheel. They both have the 75/83 turbine wheel. And they all come from borg with the 1.10 housing on them. The 467 will outflow the 471 with a standard cover. When adding the race cover to the 471 the 471 gains a bit more. The 467 has a better map though on the low end of the spectrum so spool up and overall performance is better than the 71mm wheel. While not giving very much up on the top end of the map.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply guy's..
what it all boils down to is I want to flow as much air as I can and still be able to tow with 0 to very little smoke..I don't tow a lot but may start here in the near future..would be nice to see 550-600 HP but its not all that important..
what would happen if the OP of this thread went with a tighter exhaust side?

bigjake0524

Reaction score
A tighter exhaust housing will speed up the turbine wheel which makes the boost come on sooner. It will make the low end response of the turbo better but take away from the top end also, as the engine rpm's climb. Big turbine wheel tight housing will give you a more responsive turbo. Just depends on where you want to have the turbo most efficient. And at what rpm you want to run. If you use the upper range of the rpm's than a looser housing is better. But if wanting to tow more than a tighter housing may be better for cruising. There are compromises with both. Or you can run a tight housing and a wastegate and have the best of both.

Latest posts

Members online