overheating

Short Bus

Reaction score
I want to make sure i am not missing something simple on my truck or maybe i shouldnt be worried at all i dont know.

here's the truck stats
2003 f450
reman engine 8k miles
new T stat
new ford fan clutch
mishi radiator
mishi intercooler
canned ts tune (yes i know, not the best)
430 gears

It has always ran warmer than i am used to but never worried about it until trying to haul my 5th wheel back from sw north dakota. Ambient temps were near 100, camper weighs 12k and i was pulling some very nasty hills with a pretty good cross/ head wind. I heard what i thought was an intercooler boot blow, turns out it got hot and puked bad. I pulled over and luckily had my scanner on board to check everything out since my live wire was not reading correctly. Temps were way up to 235, yet no check engine light or idiot light on dash, live wire was reading 10-15* cooler than the snap on. I let the truck cool down, ohmed out fan clutch and it was good so i manualy grounded clutch so that was 100% locked up. Once i got coolant topped off i hit the road again. I could still hit 220 at will (snap on scanner). The biggest problem I think is that the damn thing will not kick out of OD until 40-45 mph and as soon as you start gaining speed back it up shifts again. I have some new tunes from gear head to try and see if we can drop some temps with better shifting/ power management. Other than that is there anything else i should look for? Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure that i have everything covered.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Bring a temp gun with next time and measure top hose vs bottom hose. I also question the radiator.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I wonder if the reman engine has the updated 04+ front cover and a 03 water pump? Smaller impeller in the larger housing will cause overheating.

Just a thought

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Why would you guys not trust the Mishimoto radiator? You mean in general or maybe he has a dud?

04cr450

Reaction score
I want to make sure i am not missing something simple on my truck or maybe i shouldnt be worried at all i dont know.

here's the truck stats
2003 f450
reman engine 8k miles
new T stat
new ford fan clutch
mishi radiator
mishi intercooler
canned ts tune (yes i know, not the best)
430 gears

It has always ran warmer than i am used to but never worried about it until trying to haul my 5th wheel back from sw north dakota. Ambient temps were near 100, camper weighs 12k and i was pulling some very nasty hills with a pretty good cross/ head wind. I heard what i thought was an intercooler boot blow, turns out it got hot and puked bad. I pulled over and luckily had my scanner on board to check everything out since my live wire was not reading correctly. Temps were way up to 235, yet no check engine light or idiot light on dash, live wire was reading 10-15* cooler than the snap on. I let the truck cool down, ohmed out fan clutch and it was good so i manualy grounded clutch so that was 100% locked up. Once i got coolant topped off i hit the road again. I could still hit 220 at will (snap on scanner). The biggest problem I think is that the damn thing will not kick out of OD until 40-45 mph and as soon as you start gaining speed back it up shifts again. I have some new tunes from gear head to try and see if we can drop some temps with better shifting/ power management. Other than that is there anything else i should look for? Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure that i have everything covered.

you know your story resembles mine completely. i have an f450 as well (2006) and could not for the life of me keep the temps down, all new water pump, hoses, radiator, engine was flushed very well with vc-9(block plugs out etc done the right way).... All of this didnt do anything, and deltas were within 4 degrees unloaded and 12 degrees give or take loaded down.... so i installed a bpd 7.3 adapter fan and that solved all the issues, that was over a year ago and we tow up to 20k lbs with it all the time(fifth wheel trailer used to haul equipment for my business) with temps staying below 203 degrees(towing) coolant and oil....unloaded 190- 195... well worth you looking into. That fan clutch the 6.0 comes with is pure garbage, my weekend 6.0 has the 7.3 clutch, and my other 6.0 company truck has the clutch adapter as well... no more electronic, back to tried and true fan clutch operations.

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
Umm I didn't know bpd offered an adapter, I will look into that! I'm down to installing a new water pump tomorrow. Now If it sets and idles with ac on it overheats and pukes. Hope new pump fixes it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Reaction score
I wonder if the reman engine has the updated 04+ front cover and a 03 water pump? Smaller impeller in the larger housing will cause overheating.

Just a thought
I wondered about that too, will check when I do a pump tomorrow

04cr450

Reaction score
I wondered about that too, will check when I do a pump tomorrow

has nothing to do with it.... my 06 overheated also... seems like the 450's have these issues for some reason(running hot anyways).. i got the idea of the adapter originally from a local guy that has a 550 and he ran the same temps as us, switched to the 7.3 and made all the diff in the world

04cr450

Reaction score
has nothing to do with it.... my 06 overheated also... seems like the 450's have these issues for some reason(running hot anyways).. i got the idea of the adapter originally from a local guy that has a 550 and he ran the same temps as us, switched to the 7.3 and made all the diff in the world. The 450's and 550's come de-tuned from the factory - who knows that could be an issue as to why they run hotter

Short Bus

Reaction score
Got the water pump pulled this morning and its got a steel bladed pump in it already and it does not spin on the shaft. wtf... Any ideas as to why it would have started getting hot idling with the AC on? I am now wondering if the new fan clutch has failed completely or some how lost the +12v and not locking up at all now. It has been grounded and should be locked up 100%. I am about at wits end with this thing as everything in the cooling system has been replaced with new or upgraded. I have to get this thing fixed or band aided to be traded in on a 6.7, i have no time to constantly fight this thing.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Ok. Its odd that it overheats while driving. Shouldn't even need a fan if you are moving, in fact i drove my duramax around for a couple months with no fan, just never let it idle long. I'm suspicious of the radiator or blown head gaskets.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Ok. Its odd that it overheats while driving. Shouldn't even need a fan if you are moving, in fact i drove my duramax around for a couple months with no fan, just never let it idle long. I'm suspicious of the radiator or blown head gaskets.
It over heats towing and while parked idling with ac on..... im suspecting a fan clutch or wiring issue. Will know more tomorrow, waiting on bpd fan clutch adapter and 7.3 mechanical fan clutch to arrive

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.