overheating

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
We don't need evidence that trucks require cooling fans. Sure you could run without one maybe around town no load, great, that wasn't what this thread was about. You brought a element in here that didn't belong, romping around with no fan... Great, good for you.. You can also start and run an engine for a few seconds without oil and you probably won't damage much, but I'm not going to suggest it to someone on a public forum....

I think besides your crankcase and your customers crankcases, your adding diesel to you coffee every morning too... :retard:

If you look at that thread I linked my comment was '-1 for bad advice yet again'.. If your so bored please hunt for anything else I have called you out on cause this fan fiasco seems to be #3

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Where did i give bad advice in this thread? I didn't tell him to take his fan off, i simply stated that it shouldn't overheat just driving even if it didn't have a fan. Man you are grasping at straws here! And my advice in the other thread is perfectly sound advice whether you like it or not, it would have done what the OP asked about with no ill effects at all.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Got a chance to tow with it last night. Gross weight was 23k or so, stock tune, cargo was a lifted f350. Ambient temp was low 90's, with a decent head/ cross wind. Max ect was 210, max eot was 216 iirc. Also the ECT would cool down much quicker when I let out of the throttle compared to before. Also I ran the truck up to speed a lot quicker than I normally would, just wanted to push it a little and really put it to the test.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Reaction score
Guys enough fighting, please stop or go else where.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
you know your story resembles mine completely. i have an f450 as well (2006) and could not for the life of me keep the temps down, all new water pump, hoses, radiator, engine was flushed very well with vc-9(block plugs out etc done the right way).... All of this didnt do anything, and deltas were within 4 degrees unloaded and 12 degrees give or take loaded down.... so i installed a bpd 7.3 adapter fan and that solved all the issues, that was over a year ago and we tow up to 20k lbs with it all the time(fifth wheel trailer used to haul equipment for my business) with temps staying below 203 degrees(towing) coolant and oil....unloaded 190- 195... well worth you looking into. That fan clutch the 6.0 comes with is pure garbage, my weekend 6.0 has the 7.3 clutch, and my other 6.0 company truck has the clutch adapter as well... no more electronic, back to tried and true fan clutch operations.

has nothing to do with it.... my 06 overheated also... seems like the 450's have these issues for some reason(running hot anyways).. i got the idea of the adapter originally from a local guy that has a 550 and he ran the same temps as us, switched to the 7.3 and made all the diff in the world

Good information here guys!

Lol also found a bunch of bugs and grass seed stuck in the front of the 8000 mile old radiator. Cant believe how much crap was already jammed in there. Im going to say that there was 20-25% of the fan area plugged up pretty good

That will definitely not help with cooling. Clogged fins drops efficiency and can even render those rows useless in terms of heat transfer, as I am sure you are aware. Good catch here, most would not check the external portion of the radiator for issues. Be sure to take a peek at the radiator every once in a while to see if debris is continuing to buildup.

Had a little bit of a puke on the test drive but I dont think I had all the air out of the system. Return trip I had 0 puking. With new water pump, cleaning radiator out and 7.3 fan clutch temps dropped close to 20 degrees. Ect while cruising 60 mph were 193deg eot was the same.... Several wot runs to the speed limiter, temps went to 195-196. Runs like that before would be 215-220. As long as it doesnt puke anymore I will be happy lol

Certainly sounds like some air in the system. These temperatures are within spec!

Got a chance to tow with it last night. Gross weight was 23k or so, stock tune, cargo was a lifted f350. Ambient temp was low 90's, with a decent head/ cross wind. Max ect was 210, max eot was 216 iirc. Also the ECT would cool down much quicker when I let out of the throttle compared to before. Also I ran the truck up to speed a lot quicker than I normally would, just wanted to push it a little and really put it to the test.

Awesome to hear! It sounds as if you’ve sorted out the issue. Sounds like it might have been a combination of the two issues found, causing the large increase in temperatures. Let us know how things progress!

-John

04cr450

Reaction score
Keep us updated cause I'm curious on whether or not your going to like hearing the fan all the time and suffering mpgs

my fuel mileage didn't change one bit with the 7.3 fan... it is the same fan (6.0 fan) just has an adapter for the 7.3 fan clutch. It's what should have came on the 6.0 in the first place. . My trucks run very cool with it towing 20k lbs or on the dyno... you can also barely hear the fan as well and when it is on its only on for a couple seconds- most of time it never comes on.. only when towing a heavy load.
Not bossing you around either just stating what I see of the result of one on all my trucks

TyCorr

Reaction score
my fuel mileage didn't change one bit with the 7.3 fan... it is the same fan (6.0 fan) just has an adapter for the 7.3 fan clutch. It's what should have came on the 6.0 in the first place. . My trucks run very cool with it towing 20k lbs or on the dyno... you can also barely hear the fan as well and when it is on its only on for a couple seconds- most of time it never comes on.. only when towing a heavy load.
Not bossing you around either just stating what I see of the result of one on all my trucks

Thats how it functions on all 3 7.3 superduties ive had.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score

LOL, I never once thought that. I asked for experience and you stated yours, that's what I wanted. I have had my parts guys come up to me asking about some adapter I didn't even know about so I couldn't say whether or not I'd install one. Customers have been asking about it. I still want to see the computer controlled on most of their trucks. Thank you for the shared experience

Latest posts

Members online