overheating

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Its kinda sad that you think your stock fueled 7.3 is getting 3rd gear scratches and its really the trans slipping. Or with all the technology at your disposal you couldn't figure out why you are having hpo issues with barely sub 5ms inj pw values.

How much work do you "know" a fan does on a 7.3? How often do they run? Yes, we're talking 6l but if swapping a 7.3 fan clutch onto a 6l works then it's proving what bustedknuckles is saying.

Im slightly alarmed that you are a mechanic. Before you get all ***kin tard pissed and challenge me to a forum fight, think about what you are saying.

I don't see this being in the same category at all what so ever. I am not giving out bad advice on something I don't know, I am asking for advice on things I know I don't know, tuning, ipr vs DC in certain tunes. I admit I don't know those things hence why I asked.

As far as the fan goes, besides electric applications, all clutch driven, either electronic or viscos type run, at all times. Many of the fleets I see with international applications such as the DT and 466 overheat on the highway when they have a faulty fan clutch. Fans do run, they have to welcome in the air that's coming from outside. If the fan stayed still you would overheat do to air fighting it's way across the blades.

7.3 fans almost never run, but when does a 7.3 ever get to the operating temperatures that a 6.0 does? Rarely. The average 7.3 oil temperature I see is well below 200. I also attribute the lack of operation due to all the space the 7.3 fan had around it as opposed to the 6.0 where it's buried and completely enclosed in shroud.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I believe this discussion was about while this truck is towing and under loads
He never said that until after you and i were arguing about whether a 6.0 could be driven without a fan clutch without overheating. I was under the impression that it overheated all the time just driving when I said what I did, then we started arguing about whether it would need a fan clutch under normal driving circumstances or not. Then you tried to bash me and say that everything I post is a wild guess and I have no clue what I'm talking about instead of explaining how I drove a 6.0 without a fan clutch and it didn't overheat and what the big difference in a cooling system between a powerstroke and Duramax is.....

I had missed his post about it only overheating when towing or parked with the AC on, in that case a bad fan clutch is the most likely problem...

Short Bus

Reaction score
That'll do it! You do custom crop harvesting right?
We only do corn and soybeans 'round here but when doing corn ive had my radiator on my 00 plug up and it got warm in 50deg weather. Blew it out with air on one of the kenworths and it was fine and dropped to 200 after 2 miles of driving...was up to 235..only time mine has gotten hot.
Yep I do, dad has the crew up in north dakota still. I came home early for my wife to have a baby....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well we know we're assuming gets us....

As for the bash, it's cause this isn't the first time I've called you on some bull****. I can't remember what the prior incident was, but it was something. Didn't you cut a bellhousing to access torque converter nuts or were you saying someone else did? Whatever it was I had an issue with advice you gave

swinky

Reaction score
Again.... A good friend of mines truck puked all the way down the track at rudys without a fan. Not head gasket related.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well we know we're assuming gets us....

As for the bash, it's cause this isn't the first time I've called you on some bull****. I can't remember what the prior incident was, but it was something. Didn't you cut a bellhousing to access torque converter nuts or were you saying someone else did? Whatever it was I had an issue with advice you gave
Yeah.... dude you are on crack, that was a guy from MPD that recommended doing that....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Right whatever...

So guys are putting 7.3 fans on 6.0s now. I wonder how much these fans are going to run being on a hotter engine. I think this may be a mistake for someone running constant loads cause that's fan is almost always going to be on. Where as a correctly working 6.0 will modulate when it runs and under the best conditions, IE: load calculation, intake air temp, coolant and oil temp etc... I don't know if I would stray away from a 'smart' fan

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
Had a little bit of a puke on the test drive but I dont think I had all the air out of the system. Return trip I had 0 puking. With new water pump, cleaning radiator out and 7.3 fan clutch temps dropped close to 20 degrees. Ect while cruising 60 mph were 193deg eot was the same.... Several wot runs to the speed limiter, temps went to 195-196. Runs like that before would be 215-220. As long as it doesnt puke anymore I will be happy lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Keep us updated cause I'm curious on whether or not your going to like hearing the fan all the time and suffering mpgs

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I still say it wouldn't hurt a thing, i put injectors in a lb7 awhile back that had a crankcase full of fuel multiple times and still holds perfect oil pressure, i told the guy that adding some diesel to his oil and running it for a little would flush his engine and not hurt anything, not to add half a gallon of diesel every oil change for 100,000 miles. And yes, i am very stubborn. Lol.

Back to what we are actually arguing about, prove to me that a 6.0 will overheat when being daily driven without a fan and i will be convinced, otherwise my personal, hands on experience shows otherwise...

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Had a little bit of a puke on the test drive but I dont think I had all the air out of the system. Return trip I had 0 puking. With new water pump, cleaning radiator out and 7.3 fan clutch temps dropped close to 20 degrees. Ect while cruising 60 mph were 193deg eot was the same.... Several wot runs to the speed limiter, temps went to 195-196. Runs like that before would be 215-220. As long as it doesnt puke anymore I will be happy lol

Good to see! Sorry for hijacking your thread with my e-fight.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I still say it wouldn't hurt a thing, i put injectors in a lb7 awhile back that had a crankcase full of fuel multiple times and still holds perfect oil pressure, i told the guy that adding some diesel to his oil and running it for a little would flush his engine and not hurt anything, not to add half a gallon of diesel every oil change for 100,000 miles. And yes, i am very stubborn. Lol.

Back to what we are actually arguing about, prove to me that a 6.0 will overheat when being daily driven without a fan and i will be convinced, otherwise my personal, hands on experience shows otherwise...

#While towing

Short Bus

Reaction score
Keep us updated cause I'm curious on whether or not your going to like hearing the fan all the time and suffering mpgs
I will listen to the fan all day if it means I dont have to buy a new 6.7 on the way back to north dakota! Fan ran as much or more than the old clutch ran when it was supposed to be 100% locked up. Mpgs arent really that important, if it stays in the 10 mpg range while pulling my 5er I will be happy. Keep in mind my test drive was truck only. Later I will haul a truck into town with it and get loaded temps.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
#While towing

Well i just realized he said it only overheats when towing or parked with the AC on, a fan clutch issue would make sense....

Can you not read? Once i realized it only overheated only while towing i agreed that i was probably a fan clutch. That is not what the argument is about at ALL, at least for me....

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
What do you want from me
Nothing, it just ground my gears that you called me out and don't have a shred of evidence to prove you are right. That and saying that all my advice on here is BS. I enjoy using my experience and knowledge to help people on these forums when i can and most of what i post is helpful and correct advice.

Also I'm bored at work and this is entertaining. Lol

Latest posts

Members online