Quality or Crap aftermarket wheels

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have MT classics(smaller holes). They are 00 production date. I replaced one after I tore a sidewall on a treeroot/rock and then rolled the wheel over the same rock. They are shttiy looking.but.structurally are still good. Theres a reason MT isnt featuring 50 different wheels, they wont give you a crappy wheel. Had the same classics on my 94ranger wrapped in 35x14.5 thornbirds and on my 96f150 wrapped in bfg mud terrains. No trouble here. The ones on my superduty have 260k on them and about ten sets of.tires ranging from 36-40".

jngreen

Reaction score
If you are staying with a 16 inch wheel/tire, I dont think you can go wrong with the MT classic 2's or the equivilent American eagle wheels.good quality wheels, and polished aluminum can always be cleaned up and repolished.

Tom S

Reaction score
If you are staying with a 16 inch wheel/tire, I dont think you can go wrong with the MT classic 2's or the equivilent American eagle wheels.good quality wheels, and polished aluminum can always be cleaned up and repolished.

I have not yet found the negative comments on those.

Chimera

Reaction score
I have 2 sets of American Racing ATX series wheels, both have given me no problems yet. ATX Justice & ATX Mojave Teflons. Both sets are 17x10

However, their centercaps leave alot to be desired. They don't fit without modification.

old man dave

Reaction score
I have to say once I started looking at this I really appreciate my factory alcoa's. They are just a bit narrow for the 285/75/16 tires I am considering.

I hope we get lots of input on this thread to sort out the decent stuff from the crap.

I've been using the factory alcoas with 285 Bridgestones over several sets of tires without any problems including unusual tread wear due to a "narrow" rim.

jngreen

Reaction score
I've been using the factory alcoas with 285 Bridgestones over several sets of tires without any problems including unusual tread wear due to a "narrow" rim.

What he said, 285's fit stock Alcoas pretty well. I have seen 315's mounted to stock wheels but that is too big for the width and they dont wear right. I think you are gonna want something bigger than 285's on a lifted rsk solid axle truck though. 285's look great on stock f350 suspension, but may be too small for you.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Ultras are nearly un-balanceble. Piss-poor quality! Look great though! LOL

I was told MT stopped making wheels and the American Eagals take a shank nut.

There are many brands of lug nuts available on the market today. However, the smartest move is to get yours from the company that makes your wheels. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are made from alloy steel for high strength and are chrome plated for the look that you want. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are also specifically designed to work with Eagle Alloys wheels.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/aew-acl5094p_m.jpg
http://host.eznettools.net/~X354567/eagle_alloys_058.jpg
I went with the ION 171s on my dually Tom. They are the same as the MT cassic II's. They also are polished aluminum and are wide enough for bigger tires and as you can see take a standard wedge nut. That's what I'm ordering for my OBS.

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/images/wheels/custom/ion-171.jpg

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
Here is the Eagle I had 5 out of 4 had a casting flaw and leaked ,, I don't know why they didn't coat the inside of the rim like others do to prevent the issues ?

anyway they always ponied up a new one and this designed has been around for a long time and even just common sense tells you the structural rigidity is there

my Eagles did not take a shank nut IIRC

1007_8l_09+2009_ford_f350+american_eagle_20_inch_wheels.jpg

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ultras are nearly un-balanceble. Piss-poor quality! Look great though! LOL

I was told MT stopped making wheels and the American Eagals take a shank nut.

There are many brands of lug nuts available on the market today. However, the smartest move is to get yours from the company that makes your wheels. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are made from alloy steel for high strength and are chrome plated for the look that you want. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are also specifically designed to work with Eagle Alloys wheels.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/aew-acl5094p_m.jpg
http://host.eznettools.net/~X354567/eagle_alloys_058.jpg
I went with the ION 171s on my dually Tom. They are the same as the MT cassic II's. They also are polished aluminum and are wide enough for bigger tires and as you can see take a standard wedge nut. That's what I'm ordering for my OBS.

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/images/wheels/custom/ion-171.jpg

MT quit.making.wheels? Hmmm? Im not.sure about.that. Where did you.come.up with that. I talked to someone.over there last week and didnt hear.that. Only thing.I.heard is.they are runnin and gunnin to keep tires moving. I.can vouch for.the.tires.being.scarce as Im.waiting on.one 35x12.5r20 baja atz.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I've had or seen problems out of just every chrome plated wheel on the market it recent years. I'm rough on wheels sure - and I do expect to get some issues over time - but it seems like in the effort to make the wheels as cheaply as possible the manufacturers are going as little prep work as they feel they can get away with and the plating is SUPER thin - its just not like the awesome plating done years ago.

FWIW - I've talked with a few chrome shops around the country and found a couple that would be willing to strip and re-plate wheels correctly - but it sure isn't cheap..... I've got plans on getting a set of custom made 20" dually steels built similar to what Scotty had on his old truck and intend on having one of the shops I spoke to chrome plate them with a real nice thick show chrome finish.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I've had or seen problems out of just every chrome plated wheel on the market it recent years. I'm rough on wheels sure - and I do expect to get some issues over time - but it seems like in the effort to make the wheels as cheaply as possible the manufacturers are going as little prep work as they feel they can get away with and the plating is SUPER thin - its just not like the awesome plating done years ago.

FWIW - I've talked with a few chrome shops around the country and found a couple that would be willing to strip and re-plate wheels correctly - but it sure isn't cheap..... I've got plans on getting a set of custom made 20" dually steels built similar to what Scotty had on his old truck and intend on having one of the shops I spoke to chrome plate them with a real nice thick show chrome finish.

Nothing.good is.cheap. I would rather get a wheel I like and pay.no attention to its.finish if.I knew I.was going to get it plated up right.by someone skilled.

Rupp250

Reaction score
I went through 3 sets of 18X10 black Fuel Throttles. They were drilled off-center so it would feel like you had a wheel out of balance. Fuels are Chinese made,(I had to wait for the ship to come in) if that matters to you. Ended up getting XD Hoss. No problems since.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I went through 3 sets of 18X10 black Fuel Throttles. They were drilled off-center so it would feel like you had a wheel out of balance. Fuels are Chinese made,(I had to wait for the ship to come in) if that matters to you. Ended up getting XD Hoss. No problems since.

You have any pics.of.the wheels?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
MT quit.making.wheels? Hmmm? Im not.sure about.that. Where did you.come.up with that. I talked to someone.over there last week and didnt hear.that. Only thing.I.heard is.they are runnin and gunnin to keep tires moving. I.can vouch for.the.tires.being.scarce as Im.waiting on.one 35x12.5r20 baja atz.

"I was told" as in informed, not from the horses mouth. And it seems that info was wrong.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels.php?item=ClassicII

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score

What he said, 285's fit stock Alcoas pretty well. I have seen 315's mounted to stock wheels but that is too big for the width and they dont wear right. I think you are gonna want something bigger than 285's on a lifted rsk solid axle truck though. 285's look great on stock f350 suspension, but may be too small for you.

Good info in this thread keep it coming. I hope we can get lots of detailed information gathered in one place.

I looked at a truck the other day that was lifted probably 4 inches that had 315/75/17 AT tires on it and that was too wide of a tire to suit my taste.

I have seem mixed info on 285s on the 7 inch wide stock rims. I did see that most mfgs recommend a 7.5 minimum width rim for a 285 so that is pretty dar close.

Dave can you share a couple of photos? What Bridegestones did you use and how happy were you with them?

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Here is the Eagle I had 5 out of 4 had a casting flaw and leaked ,, I don't know why they didn't coat the inside of the rim like others do to prevent the issues ?

anyway they always ponied up a new one and this designed has been around for a long time and even just common sense tells you the structural rigidity is there

my Eagles did not take a shank nut IIRC

1007_8l_09+2009_ford_f350+american_eagle_20_inch_wheels.jpg

I am not understand how many leaked. I think you may have meant 4 out of 5 which if that is true is rediculous.

Tom S

Reaction score

That right there is total BS. Not surpising that I was turned off till this point in my life by aftermarket wheels. The prior experience was wheels that were not true runout and chrome that quickly rusted. Being drilled off center is plain retarded. It is tough enough to get tires that are true and round then add in some jacked up wheels.

Latest posts

Members online