Quality or Crap aftermarket wheels

jngreen

Reaction score
Good info in this thread keep it coming. I hope we can get lots of detailed information gathered in one place.

I looked at a truck the other day that was lifted probably 4 inches that had 315/75/17 AT tires on it and that was too wide of a tire to suit my taste.

I have seem mixed info on 285s on the 7 inch wide stock rims. I did see that most mfgs recommend a 7.5 minimum width rim for a 285 so that is pretty darn close.

It probably depends on the brand on which 285's will fit the stock rims. I guess you can try the skinny 33ish inch tire on your RSK truck, and the proportions may look about the same as what you have now. I'm just used to seeing wider tires on lifted trucks. Do they make a skinny 35" tire, or is 12.5" as narrow as you can go?

You need to get Dieselbrad or wearewierd in on this conversation, as they know how to make the obs trucks look good, and probably have close to the same taste as you.

Last edited:

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
I ran 315's on stock wheels for 2 years no problem. Only reason i switched was for looks, you should be fine at 285.lol Got me wondering about my moto metals now

old man dave

Reaction score
killer
Good info in this thread keep it coming. I hope we can get lots of detailed information gathered in one place.

I looked at a truck the other day that was lifted probably 4 inches that had 315/75/17 AT tires on it and that was too wide of a tire to suit my taste.

I have seem mixed info on 285s on the 7 inch wide stock rims. I did see that most mfgs recommend a 7.5 minimum width rim for a 285 so that is pretty dar close.

Dave can you share a couple of photos? What Bridegestones did you use and how happy were you with them?

I have used a set of 265 Bridgestone A/T Duelers, a set of 285 A/T Duelers and couple sets of 285 Bridgestone A/T Dueler Revos. The 285s are a step up in ply rating and ride a little stiffer than the 265s did. I did install Bilsteins at the same time as installing the first set of 285s so that may partially be the difference in ride stiffness. The 265s rode better than the stock 235s. All of the Bridgestones handled better than the stock 235s. All of the tires were/are as quiet as the stock highway 235s. All of the Bridgestones were/are within +1/2" or less of the diameter of the stock 235s. So from the side, they appear pretty much stock. Guess I must be fairly happy with them. Used to use Firestones on previous truck but theres no comparision between the premium Firestones and the Bridgestones. I live in CA so not much snow here but do a fair amount of trail driving while hunting.

I was hoping to get a set of "killer" 16x10s and use 305s or 315s but after reading this thread who knows, this thread scares me.

I don't know how to post photos but I think there is a couple pictures of the whole truck in the sig photos on psn or fdp

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
PRO COMP

Greetings to all. I am new to all the aftermarket wheels/tires, lifts, suspensions, etc, so I have a question. I bought a 2008 F-250 SD, SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat about 7 mos ago. The previous owner had already put a 6" ProComp lift, ProComp suspension, ProComp wheels and tires. Within the past 6 weeks, my front two ProComp wheels have cracked! The first one cracked around 1 Oct. Got it replaced, and then around 15 Nov, the OTHER front wheel cracked! I think it's a little rediculous. Any suggestions out there for WHY or HOW this happened? I don't abuse the truck; it's driven on the highway some and mostly back and forth to work. Is this normal? Does it happen a lot? Anything I can do in the future, to prevent this from happening? Your suggestions, insight, thoughts or whatever, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Lew

it's because they are cast aluminum vice forged
your truck is easily 6,000 lbs...and upwards of 8,000+ lbs depending on cab/bed hate to say this, but you will see this issue on damn near every single aftermarket rim out there. The cast aluminum just can't take the weight of these trucks. Especially if you are actually using the truck as designed. Only option is to run Factory rims, or grab some Forged Rims. Otherwise, you are looking at this issue popping up periodically

I put on a set of Black 7031 back in April then on Monday after driving to work the air pressure starting going down. Well one of the wheels were cracked and they have never been curb checked or abused. So I headed down to 4 wheel parts and we checked the others. They too started cracking in the same areas and Pro Comp couldn't get the wheels to 4 wheel part till December. So I settled for the Fuel Hostages as a replacments. Glad I hadn't towed my trailer!!

Zmann

Reaction score
I am not understand how many leaked. I think you may have meant 4 out of 5 which if that is true is ridiculous.

it was crazy I would slowly loose air so I went to discount and they tanked the tire and rim ,, found nothing ,, they were looking at the tire

I went home and used a spray bottle to locate the leak it was from inside the rim to the backside of the rim (where you put tape weights

then one after another developed the same leak

I have some pics I will look for

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
What he said, 285's fit stock Alcoas pretty well. I have seen 315's mounted to stock wheels but that is too big for the width and they dont wear right. I think you are gonna want something bigger than 285's on a lifted rsk solid axle truck though. 285's look great on stock f350 suspension, but may be too small for you.

I agree that 285s fit stock OBS Alcoas just about perfect. I've been running 315/75-16r Nitto Tera Grapplers on mine since last fall. I bought the rims & tires used & ran them all winter without issues. Had to put air in 1 or 2 once or twice in the last 6 months & they wear evenly. Rather have a 10 or 12" rim but I can't complain about the stockers.

294635_2518837094095_1844282167_n.jpg

It probably depends on the brand on which 285's will fit the stock rims. I guess you can try the skinny 33ish inch tire on your RSK truck, and the proportions may look about the same as what you have now. I'm just used to seeing wider tires on lifted trucks. Do they make a skinny 35" tire, or is 12.5" as narrow as you can go?

I've looked for years & aside from a odd ball military tire or a Swamper you won't find anything narrower than a 12.50 wide on a 35"+ tire.

old man dave

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the 285 Bridgestones/stock Alcoas fit without hitting the bumper or anything else. Still have the D-50/orignal springs.

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
Moto Metal 951s that I ran for about 3-4 years, no issues.

Currently running Fuel Octane Deep Blacks. Had them about 9 months, and so far, so good.

But, that's in TX. We don't have the winter weather that's so hard on rims.

Tom S

Reaction score
HELO Wheels

http://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/337058-helo-wheels-weak-chroming.html

and more on another thread

I bought a set of HELO maxx 8 wheels for my HD about 18 months ago. I am religious on maintenance and overall appearance of this truck. I wash it every week wether it needs it or not.

It gets parked in a semi-heated garage, (40 degrees). And it's never on gravel roads or highly abrasive road materials.

I was washing the truck the other day, and I noticed the chrome is starting to flake and turn white in the deep corners of the wheels.It has a real rough feel to it, so I know it is ready to start to peel.

Now, mind you, before I had these wheels, I had a set of American Racing Pythons that were chrome, same truck same driving conditions same wash cycle, everything. Those wheels lasted six years before they started to pit, and they pitted on the inside.

Now, I called the place that I purchased the wheels, they told me that there is only a 1 year warranty, and that I would have to deal with the factory direct. So I e-mailed HELO, they responded with a comment along the lines of, "we cannot do anything about it since you live in an area of high salt, and wintery weather, thus inducing premature peeling".

Is there anyone that has had this problem?

I know I should take off the wheels for the winter, I know this will end all issues. It's the fact that the other wheels lasted so long and now these are shot after 18 months that grabs me by the ass.

I have even used the little gay chip foose ball twice on the wheels. Still they pit.

Anybody with any advice? I'm not excited to find out I pissed away $1300.00.

yeah WHEEL PRO wheels SUCK. i have had 3 or 4 sets of helo maxx 8 wheels replaced because they either cracked or the chrome peeled off. i would never buy another set of wheel pro wheels, no matter what they cost or what they look like.

yeah WHEEL PRO wheels SUCK. i have had 3 or 4 sets of helo maxx 8 wheels replaced because they either cracked or the chrome peeled off. i would never buy another set of wheel pro wheels, no matter what they cost or what they look like.

agreed all wheel pro rims suck

Yep another case of WHEEL PROS ****!!!

Cheap Chinese chrome.

American racing is now chinese also so dont buy them either.

Plus Wheel Pros warranty is **** , worthless.

Man I love stuff made in China:roll eyes:

i had the same problem with my diamo's...i have the black n silver ones...all the clear on the silver is coming off..and the rims are only on the truck maybe 4-5 months outa the year and run h2's in the winter i owned them 14 months when i noitced the peeling...i was told by rimzone and diamo "sorry 1 year thats it" f'ing bs

i have 10 month helo rims that are chrome & starting to pit i wash every week & no salt on fl roads.. i sent wheel pros some pics & they are going to give me 4 new rims are the moto metal chrome rims any better than helo ones. they tried to say i didnt polish them enough but their warr does'nt state that they must be polished every 20 miles or the chrome will pit

From my experience in MD *A.R. Teflon is good my brother has them 2yrs and like new.
*BMF powder coat or paint not sure friends rig 1.5yrs same as new.
*Pro Comp chrome on my old rig 3yrs all yr and showing small stuff that nobody else can see but me.
*Pro Comp Cast Blast on current rig were used and were on bro's rig for 2.5-3yrs and look like brand new.
*Helo chrome on one of my trucks LOL looked slightly micro pitted when new and exchanged once. Pitted bad in 2yrs and very heavy
*KMC chrome my truck never pitted just peeling bad in 2-3 yrs.
*MB wheels my truck from discount tire looked sand blasted in 3yrs with tons of corrosion.
*All of the wheels listed were run all year and kept as polished/cleaned as needed.

This is what happened to me, the 1st set were polished and cracked around the bolt holes, they had no problem taking them back at all. The 2nd set was chrome, they lasted a year or more, chrome started peeling, i contacted them, they told me to take them to "any" wheel pro dealer and have them look at the wheels, and confirm they were peeling. I took it to NTB, and they sent them off for me. The 3rd set (2nd set of chrome) lasted maybe 1 -2 years, I can't remember. So this time I didn't even contact wheel pros, I went to a different dealer, and told them my problem, and they contacted them, sent them back. So that's 4 sets of wheels that I have had. The last set has lasted the longest, atleast 3+ years before they started to pit or peel. So now I decided to just get them powder coated black this spring

Tom S

Reaction score
It must be really tough to have your machining operation set up consistently. Good video.

PsRumors

Reaction score
Tom, my truck has always had 285 tires on the stock Alcoa (crept for a few months when I tried out the Eagle Alloys). Dad nor I have ever had an issue with the tires wearing incorrectly.

If you don't want a 285 on your Alcoas look at the 255 85 16 tire. Tall as a 33 but a bit narrow to fit just right on a 7" rim

IMG_3655.jpg

Danny26

Reaction score
Ultras are nearly un-balanceble. Piss-poor quality! Look great though! LOL

I was told MT stopped making wheels and the American Eagals take a shank nut.

There are many brands of lug nuts available on the market today. However, the smartest move is to get yours from the company that makes your wheels. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are made from alloy steel for high strength and are chrome plated for the look that you want. Eagle Alloys lug nuts are also specifically designed to work with Eagle Alloys wheels.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/aew-acl5094p_m.jpg
http://host.eznettools.net/~X354567/eagle_alloys_058.jpg
I went with the ION 171s on my dually Tom. They are the same as the MT cassic II's. They also are polished aluminum and are wide enough for bigger tires and as you can see take a standard wedge nut. That's what I'm ordering for my OBS.

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/images/wheels/custom/ion-171.jpg

How do you think the IONs would hold up under high HP? Can't beat the price...

Also, anyone got anything on polished pro comps?

Latest posts

Members online