Interesting Oil Temp finding...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Anybody every think about why it would be important to make sure the oil temp gets up to 215 or so minimum temperature? I'll give you a clue...... 212F is an important temperature.....

I know where you are going with that Matt. I get it. Thats not my point. I dont care if the oil is 220°. Im just saying that out of the 3 tstats Ive used my water temp.didnt change. It opened at a different rate but when you cut everything loose in that huuuge cooling system, depending on oil cooler condition, its.going to do what its going to do.

For people wondering MattR is referring to a physical law on planet earth that dictates waters boiling point.

Edit: I dont know jack, im simply reporting my findings. With 268k miles on my 00 that are all me, Im pretty used to the behavior of these trucks under various conditions.

Last edited:

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Uhh not under pressure its not. At 30 psi above atmo its 264°. I hope your running at least 30 psi of oil pressure. If your oils hitting 260° you got issues. IMO that theory ain't worth a ****.
Sorry matt, I do love your tunes though

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
So oil in the pan is 30psi? I dont think so. The theory isnt shot.

Regardless the water neednt be brought to the boiling point to expedite it being burned off. You ever put water on asphalt in the summer. 165deg 'phalt gets rid of water suuuuuper effin quick.

TyCorr

Reaction score
To expound:Does oil spray out your dipstick tube barnyardcommando? No, it doesnt. Because the pressure is gone shortly after.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So we don't need to hit 212 to burn it off right?

Not necesarily but the oil exceeds that as a reading around 215 in the.hpo.res is.lower than when its in the motor. I would say oil approaching the boiling point is.critical to reduce entrained moisture.

Barnhartal

Reaction score
I will agree you need to reach operating tempature to burn off water. I probably don't on short trips around town puttin. However when I hook to a trailer and run the snot out of it in the hills which is what I have the truck for, I wanted to keep the temps as close to normal as possible. The 180 stat has done that for me. Before I was seeing 220, on a long hill I could see 225. Now I'm around 210 maybe 215. I don't care about what little effiency I'm giving up unloaded. I care about keeping stuff where it should be when I'm using it for what I bought it for.

Barnyardcommando huh? Thought I'd heard every variant of my name possible. I believe that's a new one. Extra points for you.

Crankcases are pressurized by the way. Not 30 but defiantly pressurized, otherwise no need for ventilation.

Last edited:

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Not necesarily but the oil exceeds that as a reading around 215 in the.hpo.res is.lower than when its in the motor. I would say oil approaching the boiling point is.critical to reduce entrained moisture.

At hpop oil is defiantly pressurized. So 215 is no where near boiling point of water.

dirk0

Reaction score
I will agree you need to reach operating tempature to burn off water. I probably don't on short trips around town puttin. However when I hook to a trailer and run the snot out of it in the hills which is what I have the truck for, I wanted to keep the temps as close to normal as possible. The 180 stat has done that for me. Before I was seeing 220, on a long hill I could see 225. Now I'm around 210 maybe 215. I don't care about what little effiency I'm giving up unloaded. I care about keeping stuff where it should be when I'm using it for what I bought it for.

Barnyardcommando huh? Thought I'd heard every variant of my name possible. I believe that's a new one. Extra points for you.

Crankcases are pressurized by the way. Not 30 but defiantly pressurized, otherwise no need for ventilation.

Wait. What?

Barnhartal

Reaction score
What do you think a crank case vent is for. As an engine runs pressurized oil returning to the pan and blow by builds pressure in the crank case. Applies to every internal combustion out there. Without a vent to release said pressure eventually seals would blow out.

This is going in circles. Oil in the pan where it is closest to atmo pressure is no where near 212. Where the oil is close to 212 its pressurized so there fore no where near boiling point of water. Oil reaching the magic number of 212 to burn off water is bunk.

Lang

Reaction score
What do you think a crank case vent is for. As an engine runs pressurized oil returning to the pan and blow by builds pressure in the crank case. Applies to every internal combustion out there. Without a vent to release said pressure eventually seals would blow out.

This is going in circles. Oil in the pan where it is closest to atmo pressure is no where near 212. Where the oil is close to 212 its pressurized so there fore no where near boiling point of water. Oil reaching the magic number of 212 to burn off water is bunk.

Pretty certain water boils at a lower temp under pressure

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Maybe the newb should read a lil more, and post a lil less.

Pretty certain water boils at a lower temp under pressure

I may be a newb here but at least I know physics.

If anything I've posted is inaccurate please prove me wrong.

Attachments

• water-pressure-boiling-temperature.jpg
    water-pressure-boiling-temperature.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 50

Lang

Reaction score
Oops had that wrong lol so you would need a higher temp then right? Bc it is pressurized?

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Think pressure cooker. Holds x pressure, raises boiling point x amount. Plus your not using water. Its mixed with coolant. Coolant raises boiling temp and lowers freezing temp.
My motor does NOT burn any coolant, not even when i drove with 12k hooked up to the back for 1500 miles from reno, nv to wichita ks... If your losing coolant you're leaking somewhere.
Same with oil. Yes CCV does allow some to escape. A very small amount. And I don't know the boiling point for motorcraft 15/40 but I've never had more or less oil after 3000 miles. if you are losing oil, I would look for leaks.

02BigD

Reaction score
I may be a newb here but at least I know physics.

If anything I've posted is inaccurate please prove me wrong.

I am not referring to the physics portion. I am more referring to your posting style in this thread, and 1 other that I have noticed you posting in. Just my .02, you need not even pay it no mind.

Although i have seen my oil pan with the engine at operating temperatures at or above 212 degrees :lookaround:

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
I was thinking the grille would lower the radiator temp or at least lengthen the time it takes to get above a certain temp.

Latest posts

Members online